Solved

Starlink subscription

• 7 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Where do I go to get a Starlink Subscription for my iPhone 14 Pro?   I am told if I have T-Mobile service I am required to have a Starlink subscription to get internet service on Royal Caribbean Cruise ships.

icon

Best answer by Cali Cat 7 December 2022, 20:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Who “told” you this?

Here are the facts:

1. Starlink partnership was announced a few months ago but this will be offered sometime next year or later. You can’t sign up now and even if you could, there is no “you have to use Starlink” requirement for internet.
  2. You can opt for onboard wifi access on your cruise. However, don’t use your cell voice as it is extremely expensive. Wifi calling may or may not work so best to ask Royal Caribbean to make sure and also understand what your fees will be.
Badge

This came from the Vroom representative on the cruise ship as a reason why the T-Mobile phones will NOT connect to the ship wifi and AT&T connect.

Badge

Since the users had T-Mobile phones their WiFi internet purchase on the ship was refunded, because T-Mobile phones will not work and they must have a Starlink subscription for the phone to work on the ship.  Someone doesn’t know their **** from a hole in the ground!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This came from the Vroom representative on the cruise ship as a reason why the T-Mobile phones will NOT connect to the ship wifi and AT&T connect.

I think they meant the cruise ship’s cellular service. For that, they will scan your SIM card and if they are telling you TMO SIM cards won’t work then they can filter those out. However, for wifi internet service there is no connection to the SIM card so you should be fine connecting to that. Simply turn off the cell service on your TMO device. This is good practice anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

weird. looked up their net options for Royal Caribbean and its all through VOOM..only 2 options to choose from. only starlink mentions were that they are installing it on their ships and it should be completed some time in the first quarter of 2023..no mention of it actually working right now.