T-mobile internet/cell service will not allow google play store apps to download or update

Userlevel 2
Badge

A good amount of people have been running into the issue of not being able to download google play store apps or updates using the T-mobile services. I have their internet service and cell service and every time I attempt to install an update using google play it will just stick on pending and will not initiate the download. Tested the downloads on a different internet provider and it works just fine. Clearing the cache nor resetting the phone to factory can fix this issue. 

I will link a few reference sites where others are talking about this exact issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googleplay/comments/t74j3f/google_play_was_working_perfectly_fine_yesterday/

Link 2
https://downdetector.com/status/google-play/

If anyone can help or can forward this to the proper channels would be great.

92 replies

Userlevel 1

OK, I think I cracked the case. The problem is with T-mobile ‘s default APN settings.

Go into your mobile network settings and add a new APN. (Access Point Name)

The default is fast.t-mobile.com this is the one with broken routing.

If you set it to Fast.t-mobile.com it has resolved the issues I'm having.

I've included pictures for how it looks on my device.

You'll see that I've added ‘T-mobile US LTE 2’ with the below settings (they just match the default one, other than the APN address)

With this, messaging, phone, and internet all seem to function as intended.  Play store works, Youtube works. I’m happy.

This worked for me. However, you can just make an exact duplicate of the original one with the lower case fast.t-mobile.com. The only thing you need to change is the APN Protocol. Set it to IPv4 instead of IPv6 like the original one. I would suggest going back to the original whenever this gets fixed.

At least that's what worked for me. You can try it the other way with the upper case F if doesn't work. As someone else mentioned, my phone is unlocked. It might be the only way this works. This is my only phone so I cant test it.

Ive already tried changing all different son settings onenat a time I ckudinf ipv4 vs ipv6 etc. Nothing apn related has fixed this issue for me.

T-Mobile customer support has insulted my intelligence along with everyone on this forum and on the down detector website today. Ignoring every one here and refusing to acknowledge this issue. Insisting it's my phone that's broken.

So my issue is fixed permanently. I've cancelled my service.

Userlevel 1

Edit: Nevermind.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

quick little add on in here..contacting TMO through call in will land you with tier 1 support..not the most helpful with anything higher than billing/simple questions..

if you have the ability i would recommend contacting them through either Facebook or Twitter..this lands you with tier 2 support starting off..

Userlevel 2
Badge

OK, I think I cracked the case. The problem is with T-mobile ‘s default APN settings.

You'll see that I've added ‘T-mobile US LTE 2’ with the below settings (they just match the default one, other than the APN address)

With this, messaging, phone, and internet all seem to function as intended.  Play store works, Youtube works. I’m happy.

This here works perfectly on my Ultra using mobile data. Thank you very much for this information. You think they would have figured this out by now and would have pushed some sort of update asap. Also my phone was unlocked and brought in from another carrier. It is awesome to see what a community can do once everyone comes together.

Holy cow!!!! Thousand likes and thanks to you. It worked like a charm. I really don’t understand how we ,as a member in a small community, can work together and figure it out, but a bunch of well paid employees can’t. 

Same issue here.  I live in the chicago land area and I had problems downloading apps or playing youtube videos on my t mobile home wifi. I know it's not a problem with my device since I gavr it a hard reset and the issue persisted. I am able to update my apps on my work wifi without any issues though. I am glad to know that i am not the only one with this problem. 

Userlevel 2

pretty sure those are only accessible if you do NOT have a phone purchased directly from TMO and brought in as a BYOD..

Right….

That sucks, mostly because my device is on a subsidy ($25 a month minus $25 a month credit for 2 years = subsidy). They can’t decide if they want to keep the subsidies or not.

Anyway, federal law doesn’t force them to unlock the device until it’s paid off, and the subsidy is what’s paying it off.

Userlevel 1

Same issue here.  I live in the chicago land area and I had problems downloading apps or playing youtube videos on my t mobile home wifi. I know it's not a problem with my device since I gavr it a hard reset and the issue persisted. I am able to update my apps on my work wifi without any issues though. I am glad to know that i am not the only one with this problem. 

I am also in Chicago. A lot of Chicagoans... I am still waiting for someone to explain why this problem is affecting mostly this city OR is it the entire state? So far I've seen a post from only one individual who said they were having the problem too in Wisconsin. Also, this has been going on for weeks now. According to some T Mobile rep, it's going to 'self-resolve'... But when exactly? In a month?!? 

Userlevel 1

Issue seems to finally be resolved after rep said they had a Network engineer investigate the issue. No work around needed. Google play, YouTuber YouTube music, etc all working again.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seems to be working again in the NWI area, downloaded multiple apps and updates without any issue. Thank you T-Mobile for getting on top of this. 

Userlevel 2

Seems to be working again in the NWI area, downloaded multiple apps and updates without any issue. Thank you T-Mobile for getting on top of this. 

Im hesitant to celebrate without knocking on wood but it's working for me too in the Chicago suburbs. 🤞🤞

Userlevel 2

I am also in Chicago. A lot of Chicagoans... I am still waiting for someone to explain why this problem is affecting mostly this city OR is it the entire state? So far I've seen a post from only one individual who said they were having the problem too in Wisconsin. Also, this has been going on for weeks now. According to some T Mobile rep, it's going to 'self-resolve'... But when exactly? In a month?!? 

Looks like it's all working again 🤞🤞

Two of our lines are affected, two different phone brands, also in Chicago area. I chatted with T-mobile expert and Google expert with no solution. I cleared cache and data and restarted the phone so many times I can't even remember. I was hesitant to reset my phone and refrained from doing it, I hope I don't have to. Using wifi at work or public one did the trick and I was able to do updates - I don't have home internet. Curious thing is that I was able to update my tablet, as well as both phones using the other one as hotspot. How crazy is that? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Two of our lines are affected, two different phone brands, also in Chicago area. I chatted with T-mobile expert and Google expert with no solution. I cleared cache and data and restarted the phone so many times I can't even remember. I was hesitant to reset my phone and refrained from doing it, I hope I don't have to. Using wifi at work or public one did the trick and I was able to do updates - I don't have home internet. Curious thing is that I was able to update my tablet, as well as both phones using the other one as hotspot. How crazy is that? 

How about now? Did your downloads get back working?

Yes, finally! I'm so glad I didn't do factory reset! 

Yep - And just like magic, as of last evening, it appears for me, this is resolved. All apps updating as normal on all devices. But still "no trouble found" by T-Mo.... love it.

I don’t know if this is the same problem, but after updating to Tmobile WiFi gateway some of my browser bookmarks would not load, just timed out. I ended up running Win 10’s troubleshooter on the network adapter. It found and fixed an issue with the default gateway, and everything works now.