Question

T-mobile keeps "muting" one of the callers during three-way calls

• 27 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

My parents and I often do three-way calls, and we keep running into an issue where somebody effectively gets “muted” by the T-Mobile network, i.e., this person can hear both other callers, but the other two callers cannot hear him/her, only each other. Some things I noticed:

1. It seems to vary who gets “muted”. Sometimes, it’s me. Other times, it’s my mother or my father. In all cases, the “muted” person can hear the other two callers, but cannot be heard themselves.
  2. The call usually starts fine, and all three people can hear each other without problems. The T-mobile network then randomly decides to mute one of the lines after 5-20 minutes of conversation.
  3. Sometimes, the muting happens as soon as the three lines are merged into a three-way call. It’s rare, but happens.
  4. It doesn’t seem to correlate to who originates the call (i.e., the person calling the other two people and merging the calls). Sometimes, the originator gets “muted”. Other times, it's one of the other lines. As far as I can tell, it appears to be random.
  5. This problem has been REALLY bad about two years ago, when it was happening pretty much every time we had a call. Then at some point, it completely disappeared and everything worked as expected. Now, it seems that the issue is back and with vengeance.
  6. All three lines are part of the same family account, which existed for over 10 years. I’m losing track of time, but I think at least one line has upgraded the device since the “muting” issue first started happening.

I have to say that I am beginning to lose patience. If I’m paying $100+/mo. for three lines, I generally expect those three lines to be able to talk to each other without the network deciding to randomly stop sending voice data from one of the devices. I understand that occasional network issues happen, but consistent failure to deliver on probably one of the most basic voice functions is not what I signed up for.

I’ve been with T-Mobile for close to 15 years, but if this doesn't get resolved in the near future, I’m leaving for a different provider.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Have you contacted Tmobile by phone or on Facebook or Twitter? This is a user forum and we can’t access your account.

Badge

Hi sweetpeach,

I just sent a link to this post to T-Mobile on Facebook. Based on what you have seen on these forums, do you happen to know if anybody else encountered similar issues? I did a cursory search and only found folks having problems when multi-way calls are first established (point 3 from my list), but not when the voice cuts out partway through a call that was otherwise working fine.

--A

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Only people who have older plans usually use 3-way calling since most carriers now charge extra for the service if it isn’t included in the plan. I don’t expect much chatter about issues for that reason. Contacting Tmobile directly is definitely the way to go. :wink: