T-Mobile’s calling out “Nationwide” 5G

• 25 November 2020
  • 42 replies
T-Mobile’s calling out “Nationwide” 5G

Show first post

42 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  1. Disagree or not… the ‘5G indicator’ doesn’t always mean that you’re using 5G service.  Its more of the 4G LTE station supporting 5G NSA AND your device’s 5G radio sensing NR service.  
  2. That will vary.  Not all 5G NSA signals are from the same tower as LTE.  Eg.  I have a local site that has 5G n71 (and n41) ~2 miles away, and an LTE only (no B41/B71/n41/n71) site 2000’ away.  Service picks up .. both.  How can I be sure ?   Force to LTE only - and cellmapper/etc. ID it.  When forced to NR only - it points to the same ID as the site ~2 miles away.
  3. SA 5G n71 is deployed on any site that support NSA n71.  n41 on former Sprint spectrum may not be deployed yet in your area.  I also can’t say whether or not it will be SA or NSA.  5G NSA n41 will also improve service ‘dramatically’, as it has wide amount of spectrum.  Currently, not 100% of former Sprint spectrum is used for 5G.  ~40MHz in SoCal (out of ~100MHz?) is used for LTE on B41.
  4. Not referring so much as to San Francisco performance, but more of the SA/NSA comments.  Ie.  60MHz of n71 should be good for ~450Mbps.  aggregate that with ~40MHz of LTE, and you’re pushing 700Mbps.  In general, n41 (and even B41) will help out San Fran areas, as urban areas need more of the mid band for spectrum reuse.
  5. All things being equal… it does.  The problem is 20MHz of SA can’t compete with 20MHz NSA + 45MHz of LTE, especially when 5G is deployed only on a handful of sites.  Convert ALL of the LTE to SA, and you’re right.  San Francisco doesn’t have that deployed.  Few areas have n41+n71 on all sites.

I will agree with it probably being slower in San Fran due to few sites deployed, and n71 at 20MHz is not enough to do much - its more of a T-Mobile advertising message of ‘We have 5G’…   Having ~5 sites in San Fran isn’t enough capacity for any carrier on any spectrum.  Having more sites on n71 and n41 will solve it.  I suspect that it will take time in San Fran, as its NIMBY/regulatory nightmare.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Similarly… 5G .. or is it.  Lastly, 5G NSA  B2LTE, B4 LTE, B71 LTE and n41 NSA

Badge +1

1. I'm aware the 5G indicator does not necessarily mean that it's actually using 5G at any given time.

2. I know the locations of the few 5G towers in San Francisco.

3. I'm not guessing. I've discussed the 5G deployment with a T-Mobile network tech.

4. My speeds speak for themselves. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  1.  Then your 5G indicator shouldn’t cause a call to drop.
  2.  Good.  
  3. Then you know when T-Mobile will deploy more n71 and n41.
  4. Yes… 
Badge +1

@formercanuck 

Please don't put words in my mouth. What likely caused my call to drop was T-Mobile switching on NSA 5G, not the 5G indicator on my phone. Regardless, it's not an important issue. I mentioned it only because it drew my attention to the first appearance of 5G on this phone.

Badge +1

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You can see that the NSA 5G site is weak - at -107dBm.  Not from the same site as LTE B4/66.

Badge +1

@formercanuck 

No, that's a different tower.

Look at all the images.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

These are also different cells.  LTE is a ½ mile NR is about 2

Badge +1

@formercanuck 

The cell I'm connected to supports both LTE and 5G (DSS).

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Different of supports both… and is transmitting both.   These are 2 different sites.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

This is from the same site

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

T-Mobile does not use DSS (at least not yet).  Verizon does.  T-Mobile doesn’t need it, assuming it can redeploy Sprint’s 2500MHz gear quickly.  At some point, they’ll have to refarm PCS and/or AWS bands.  I suspect only one at time, or NSA will cease to function.

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-every-us-city-5g-coverage-right-now

Badge +1

@formercanuck

Alas, I do not agree, and further debate looks to be pointless, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

My essential points remain:

1. T-mobile finally lit up 5G in San Francisco after months of showing it on coverage maps.

2. T-Mobile 5G in San Francisco is not yet an improvement over LTE. It's often slower.

3. Turning off 5G currently can make for a better T-Mobile experience in San Francisco.

Feel free to have the last word, and have a nice day!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I agree with your essential points… T-Mobile 5G in San Francisco has much to be desired.  Sadly, many locations are like this.

I can’t even get 2G or 3G - never mind 5G - service is nonexistent

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sadly, I’ve been to many places like this, and will be in a couple of weeks.  Sadly, T-Mobile’s old maps used to claim that this was all ‘fair coverage’ and 4G LTE verified by customer until last August.  Now its mostly ‘No Service’ areas.  On a good note, I can now state that T-Mobile’s maps are more accurate, actually stating ‘No Service’ in ‘No Service’ areas, vs MS-Paint fill bucket with magenta.