News

T-Mobile’s calling out “Nationwide” 5G

• 25 November 2020
  • 61 replies
T-Mobile’s calling out “Nationwide” 5G
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Everyone’s been talking about 5G. But if you talk the talk, can you walk the walk? T-Mobile’s been transparent about 5G since introducing the layer cake concept in 2018. It’s time to explain why T-Mobile’s 5G can compete with the other carriers and call out the myths surrounding “nationwide” coverage.

T-Mobile’s 5G

Building out 5G coverage for all T-Mobile customers is always ongoing. The foundation starts with doing right by customers. Making false claims and only providing a fraction of customers with 5G isn’t doing right by them. The T-Mobile 5G network is constantly improving and working towards reaching EVERYONE.

How?

The three layered strategy. Low-band covers larger land area for more reliability. Mid-Band covers a broad area balancing speed and range. High-Band gives super-fast data speeds for smaller areas.

Mid-band is already reaching 410 cities and towns and will reach 100 million people by the end of this year! Speeds in mid-band areas are averaging 300Mbps and peaking around 1 Gbps.

Imagine what you can do with those speeds! So what say you? If you had to choose one 5G phone, what would it be?

5G phones

iPhone 12

Galaxy S20 5G

Pixel 4a (5G)

OnePlus 8T+ 5G

Fact-Checking

Check out this video breakdown for more info about 5G coverage and comment below with your feedback.

61 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

They who live in glass houses……. T-Mobile’s been guilty of over-selling their 5G. Hence all the questions asking, “Why is 5G slower than LTE?”

You.mean like this… same location, 2mins apart.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

They who live in glass houses……. T-Mobile’s been guilty of over-selling their 5G. Hence all the questions asking, “Why is 5G slower than LTE?”

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’d pick the One Plus 8T (similar to my One Plus 8 5G)

There’s a few bits that T-Mobile neglects to mention in the ‘nationwide’ 5G statment.

1.  T-Mobile’s ‘nationwide’ 5G excludes coverage to many 5G devices in some locations.  I.E. Those locations where T-Mobile has deployed 5G SA, many devices such as LG Velvet will only obtain LTE (Band 12).  Some devices such as One Plus should function with 5G.  They’re both low band, however, T-Mobile and their handset vendors didn’t provide 5G SA and 5G NSA… but only 5G NSA, which requires B2/B4 LTE on T-Mobile to obtain .. 5G at all.
  2. Until ‘all’ (or at least ‘most’) LTE sites carry 5G service, many areas on 5G may actually end up with poorer performance.  Eg.  At home ‘if’ (when) my phone ends up on 5G SA, speeds are ~1-2Mbps.  on 5G NSA, performance is all over the place from 30Mbps to 150Mbps.  On LTE only, speeds are ~80-140Mbps.
  3. T-Mobile still needs to deploy some of its ‘rural’ service, where AT&T and Verizon actually have service, but T-Mobile (and former Sprint) do not, or its coverage covers ~1/10th of a community.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Well… Looks like T-Mobile’s left hand doesn’t meet its right hand… again in SLOCal.

T-Mobile has not acknowledged the issue in ‘writing’  per se, but their Office of Executive Management has supported that their ‘5G’ site in San Simeon, CA (Vista Del Mar) has ‘capacity issues’, and their is no plan to fix it.  Town population 400.

Typically, with AWS B4 20x20 + B71 10x10 and 5g n71, I should be easily hitting 300Mbps.  Peaking at 1Mbps is awful.  Something tells me they only have a handful of T1’s or ‘business ethernet’ setup.

The site is on the Motel 6.

This is the area: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6117911,-121.1428829,3a,75y,306.52h,103.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI-MAk4LCc2rSzwDAUKyOaQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I agree with your essential points… T-Mobile 5G in San Francisco has much to be desired.  Sadly, many locations are like this.

I can’t even get 2G or 3G - never mind 5G - service is nonexistent

Badge

Yes it is slower. I keep my phone on Lte. 

Badge +1

@formercanuck

Alas, crowdsourced maps are not accurate.

UPDATE:

T-Mobile called me in response my FCC Complaint, and promised to get back to me with accurate 5G information for San Francisco. :fingers_crossed:

Badge

Yeah, I’m beginning to think there is overselling going on.  Forget 5G, T-mobile seems to be overselling 2G/3G/4G/Partner coverage too and I can see the tower across the lake from my lawn but I have NO mobile access.

Userlevel 2
Badge

5G was amazing the first two weeks I had it, now its completely useless. I am literally suck on 4G LTE because Tmobile is NOT being transparent. Their customer support does not actually know much more than their customers. I do know I am only giving them a month to fix these issues or I am just gonna deal with AT&T’s slower yet more dependable internet or Starlink.

Tmobile blamed Inseego for the issue but I know full well and when Inseego emails me back to confirm my suspicions, that tmobile is actively blocking certain applications on 5G.

I miss the days where companies had more than excuses and bullshit, everyone is more worried about stockholders than their customers.

Badge

Really? Calling out on 5G? Where I am, and it supported by the flat out lying map provided as 5G, I would keep my mouth shut if I were T-mobile. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

This should get interesting…. BBB complaint literally fell on deaf ears.  It was take it or leave it.  Sent to FCC.  Engineering ticket has been reopened.

Your phone service is horrible. We’ve lost clients because of our phones failing to connect. We can call a number and nothing happens. The other party can’t hear us. No data sometimes. Shows 5g and full bars and still can’t make a call. Tired of restarting our new phones, we bought from you, just to try to make a call.  We are very disappointed. In fact TMobile should pay us for their non-service. We’re paying off our phones and going elsewhere. Tmobile, you need to stop lying to people about your service. 

I just joined T-Mobile and experiencing internet issues, even with 3-4 bars on 5G UC. Anything I do on the phone internet related would not work. I would have to put airplane mode on/off and it would start working. Signal strength stays the same before and after, at 3-4 bars on 5G UC. This would happen randomly throughout the day, at different locations. Some locations would work just fine, without me having to turn data off/on.

Are there issues with certain locations, my sim card or iPhone 13 Pro Max, or network is just busy?

Suffering new T-Mobile customer in 92037 zip code.

- Samsung S21 5G Ultra phone, Magenta Plus plan

- T-Mobile displays "5G" on the phone but the phone is showing LTE at -109 dBm.  The whole area is a giant dead zone.

- Voice quality is horrendous, Data is at max 15 Mbps.

- LTE Cellspot sent by T-Mobile has not provisioned for over 2 months

- T-Mobile expert advised going back to Verizon

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey @theczek  and thanks for posting.

it continues, our Tech Care team can file a Service Complaint for that area so our local engineers can look into it further.

It does continue.  So what has to be done to file a Service Complaint with the Tech Care team?

Do I just call TMobile?

Is it something you have to do?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Yep. You can call or you can message our T-Force team on Twitter using the @TMobileHelp handle. Either way, this can be looked into and sorted out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I just joined T-Mobile and experiencing internet issues, even with 3-4 bars on 5G UC. Anything I do on the phone internet related would not work. I would have to put airplane mode on/off and it would start working. Signal strength stays the same before and after, at 3-4 bars on 5G UC. This would happen randomly throughout the day, at different locations. Some locations would work just fine, without me having to turn data off/on.

Are there issues with certain locations, my sim card or iPhone 13 Pro Max, or network is just busy?

@hyee we don’t have any issues with Pro Max however we do have some great steps you can take to make sure your phone is set up. Check out the Network, APN, and VoLTE: Apple iPhone on iOS 15  page to make sure the settings are correct. I’d also follow our Internet and data issues. That page can help narrow down if this is a location issue or not.

I followed your recommendations, and I reset the network settings. I will monitor to see if the issue is still happening. Thank you for your assistance.

After I reset the network settings, it happened again in a restaurant. The signal is full 4 bars with 5G. I haven’t been to this location for a long time, so it is the first time here with the problem. I had to turn on airplane mode and off to get internet.

Seems I have to do this each time I can’t internet, even with full signal.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey! Put the Samsung Note 20 Ultra on the list….PLEASE! :blush:

You.mean like this… same location, 2mins apart.

That’s exactly what is going on with our services. But mostly under 3mbps 90% of the time unless I reset network settings. Which then it only has fast 5G for a few minutes. 

Badge

REVVL 5G

Badge
  1. Disagree or not… the ‘5G indicator’ doesn’t always mean that you’re using 5G service.  Its more of the 4G LTE station supporting 5G NSA AND your device’s 5G radio sensing NR service.  
  2. That will vary.  Not all 5G NSA signals are from the same tower as LTE.  Eg.  I have a local site that has 5G n71 (and n41) ~2 miles away, and an LTE only (no B41/B71/n41/n71) site 2000’ away.  Service picks up .. both.  How can I be sure ?   Force to LTE only - and cellmapper/etc. ID it.  When forced to NR only - it points to the same ID as the site ~2 miles away.
  3. SA 5G n71 is deployed on any site that support NSA n71.  n41 on former Sprint spectrum may not be deployed yet in your area.  I also can’t say whether or not it will be SA or NSA.  5G NSA n41 will also improve service ‘dramatically’, as it has wide amount of spectrum.  Currently, not 100% of former Sprint spectrum is used for 5G.  ~40MHz in SoCal (out of ~100MHz?) is used for LTE on B41.
  4. Not referring so much as to San Francisco performance, but more of the SA/NSA comments.  Ie.  60MHz of n71 should be good for ~450Mbps.  aggregate that with ~40MHz of LTE, and you’re pushing 700Mbps.  In general, n41 (and even B41) will help out San Fran areas, as urban areas need more of the mid band for spectrum reuse.
  5. All things being equal… it does.  The problem is 20MHz of SA can’t compete with 20MHz NSA + 45MHz of LTE, especially when 5G is deployed only on a handful of sites.  Convert ALL of the LTE to SA, and you’re right.  San Francisco doesn’t have that deployed.  Few areas have n41+n71 on all sites.

I will agree with it probably being slower in San Fran due to few sites deployed, and n71 at 20MHz is not enough to do much - its more of a T-Mobile advertising message of ‘We have 5G’…   Having ~5 sites in San Fran isn’t enough capacity for any carrier on any spectrum.  Having more sites on n71 and n41 will solve it.  I suspect that it will take time in San Fran, as its NIMBY/regulatory nightmare.

Re 1: I get more than double the download speed in this situation compared to 4G LTE on the same band, usually 66. Don’t know why it is tho. I have a REVVL 5g with my old 4G SIM.

Badge +1

T-Mobile has finally enabled 5G in San Francisco. I was on a phone call this morning when it happened, and my Pixel 4a (5G) phone dropped the call when it switched to 5G.

This far I've only done a limited amount of data speed testing, and not in a terribly good signal location. It's better than LTE, but only modestly; e.g., 6.48 Mbps down on 5G vs 4.35 Mbps down on LTE. That's probably because the current T-Mobile 5G deployment here is NSA/DSS (non-standalone, dynamic spectrum sharing with LTE). It should be a lot faster when T-Mobile enables SA (standalone) with the acquired Sprint spectrum.

Badge +1

5G sucks in San Francisco: