T mobile screws over rural customers

• 21 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

We live in the Brookneal area of zip code 24528. The best service by far was Sprint that allowed us to use a hot spot for Wi-Fi and streaming specifically. The service was flawless and fast even with LTE. T mobile has apparently decided that they don’t want to pay the fees of the nearest Shentel cell tower in their acquisition of Sprint customers and services. Our ability to stream on the smart TV’s stopped a couple of months ago and streaming on a laptop or computer is met with much buffering. I’ve made multiple calls to the overseas help desk (is there any other?) and been told I’d used up my data which was an outright lie and also the tower was being upgraded which would be completed last March(!) and now being told it will be December. I finally talked to a local T mobile employee that honestly told me there is no intention of upgrading the cell tower or paying rent for services on our Shentel cell tower so we are screwed. Every time I hear a T mobile commercial about their vast 5G coverage and super fast speeds I want to scream. I don’t expect this to go anywhere but wanted to vent about how badly T mobile has pqkd a good thing for us while still expecting the monthly bill to be paid. What’s worst are the neighbors that I convinced to switch over to Sprint who have also lost their streaming services. T mobile sucks.

5 replies

I too live and work in a rural area and was told and shown there was 5g here yet I can't hardly make a call or hold a conversation without the call being dropped, I can text sometimes though. T-Mobile customer service agents in the Philippines are full of lies, never follows through with what they say they are going to do and never calls back. I'm about done with T-Mobile 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just as a note:  T-Mobile’s coverage man is highly exaggerated in many areas - specifically fringe.

I’ve had reps tell me areas and actual addresses show 5G extended range + 4GLTE … and all there is .. is AT&T/Verizon emergency SOS.

Reps (executive reps) will claim “T-Mobile doesn’t guarantee service anywhere”.

If you need your device/service and in areas where T-Mobile doesn’t work … I’d recommend a different provider.  Contact BBB.  T-Mobile may be able to stop device payment (if it hasn’t been paid for) vs. getting stuck with a locked device and bill to port. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

We live in the Brookneal area of zip code 24528. The best service by far was Sprint that allowed us to use a hot spot for Wi-Fi and streaming specifically. The service was flawless and fast even with LTE. T mobile has apparently decided that they don’t want to pay the fees of the nearest Shentel cell tower in their acquisition of Sprint customers and services. Our ability to stream on the smart TV’s stopped a couple of months ago and streaming on a laptop or computer is met with much buffering. I’ve made multiple calls to the overseas help desk (is there any other?) and been told I’d used up my data which was an outright lie and also the tower was being upgraded which would be completed last March(!) and now being told it will be December. I finally talked to a local T mobile employee that honestly told me there is no intention of upgrading the cell tower or paying rent for services on our Shentel cell tower so we are screwed. Every time I hear a T mobile commercial about their vast 5G coverage and super fast speeds I want to scream. I don’t expect this to go anywhere but wanted to vent about how badly T mobile has pqkd a good thing for us while still expecting the monthly bill to be paid. What’s worst are the neighbors that I convinced to switch over to Sprint who have also lost their streaming services. T mobile sucks.

Shentel May have raised the prices and it costs them more than what you pay for your service and would be losing money keeping you as a customer with that deal.  It’s not that simple as you think about them screwing you over.  The deal may have originally be voided because Sprint was bought out and there may have been a clause they could terminate the deal and make a new deal.  

This is why living in rural America often doesn’t even get Fiber or similar services.  If companies did the work without subsidies or any real profit in the immediate or moderate future they are not going to do it.  Let’s say they spent $100k for them to bring you Fiber in your area and you $50 a month, but the company actually makes $22 per month from you.  How long will it take for them to start making profit from you.  You’d live out your life before they actually make profit.  Denser areas allow more subscribers to offset costs a lot quicker and cheaper.  This is why certain people in the government is trying to subsidize rural areas to get them better overall services which has met with a lot of opposition.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Didn’t T-Mobile ‘purchase’ Shentel ?

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-to-buy-shentel-wireless-assets-for-1-95b

Having T-Mobile just ‘cut’ their service that customers are using is not a good way of doing business.  T-Mobile did state that they are promoting rural service, yet this goes against that narrative.

The irony, is that this area shows 5G UC.  Is it possible that the site is being rebuilt (probably takes ~3 weeks)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

TBH, I’ve been through that.  Fortunately, T-Mobiles service is decent where I live … but not often where I travel to.