Question

T-Mobile VoLTE certification program?

• 31 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

In response to the recent news article that T-Mobile eventually plans to deny network access to phones that don’t support VoLTE, after a bunch of web searches, I’ve concluded that my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra got screwed out of VoLTE because of an LTE certification program ($$$) you were running that Sony apparently chose to not partake in, deciding to disable these LTE services instead.  My question is whether this program is still running, and if not, when was it discontinued.

I waited on hold tonight for nearly half an hour for telephone tech support, in case they knew the answer, but eventually had better things to do and hung up.  I’m not angry about the tech support call, but am livid about the phone.

6 replies

Badge

With some devices, it is as simple as using Qualcomm’s PDA Tool to change the carrier profile, which doesn’t require root.

Yeah, I don't think it's that simple. The hacks I've found involve (among other things) swapping out the modem config file, i.e. amss_fsg_discovery_tar.mbn for a T-Mobile specific file. Maybe that's shades of your LG DRM comment, but in reverse? Rooting this generation of Sonys generally involves unlocking the bootloader first (trivial), but which automatically flushes a partition of DRM keys which mostly allow for better camera processing. So it behooves anybody wanting such a thing to find a better way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Have you checked the XDA Forum for your device to see if there is a way to enable VoLTE on your device for T-Mobile? 

I have looked, but so far found only sketchy information. The immediate concern actually seems to be finding a clean way to root it, i.e. without losing the DRM keys. I have time, but it's very annoying spending time on something that should never have been a problem. The phone was released only 2 1/2 years ago! Is there a "lemon law" for phones? Hmm, that's actually not a bad idea...

With some devices, it is as simple as using Qualcomm’s PDA Tool to change the carrier profile, which doesn’t require root.  With others, root might be needed.  Some phones with little development though can really be tricky because not enough have bought it for the ROM makers to take enough interest to fuel a want for these modifications.  

If by DRM, you mean LG’s RSA Key usage.  Yeah…  I am familiar with that mess.  T-Mobile and LG have made some pack with the devil to really shaft anyone trying to convert these devices for another network, even after being SIM unlocked.  

Badge

Unfortunately, VoLTE seems to be a black box, from a user’s perspective. I have never even seen any standards quoted. It seems that the carriers all want their own special version so that they can deny roaming to their competitors.

I am pretty sure there's a standard, but in my brief travels have also noticed comments like yours. It seems you can unlock a phone for use on another network, but the LTE services still stay locked to the original provider. Yet more motivation for a smartphone lemon law. 😁

Badge

Have you checked the XDA Forum for your device to see if there is a way to enable VoLTE on your device for T-Mobile? 

I have looked, but so far found only sketchy information. The immediate concern actually seems to be finding a clean way to root it, i.e. without losing the DRM keys. I have time, but it's very annoying spending time on something that should never have been a problem. The phone was released only 2 1/2 years ago! Is there a "lemon law" for phones? Hmm, that's actually not a bad idea...

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

In response to the recent news article that T-Mobile eventually plans to deny network access to phones that don’t support VoLTE, after a bunch of web searches, I’ve concluded that my Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra got screwed out of VoLTE because of an LTE certification program ($$$) you were running that Sony apparently chose to not partake in, deciding to disable these LTE services instead.  My question is whether this program is still running, and if not, when was it discontinued.

I waited on hold tonight for nearly half an hour for telephone tech support, in case they knew the answer, but eventually had better things to do and hung up.  I’m not angry about the tech support call, but am livid about the phone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Unfortunately, VoLTE seems to be a black box, from a user’s perspective. I have never even seen any standards quoted. It seems that the carriers all want their own special version so that they can deny roaming to their competitors.