Solved

Texting issues when connected to WiFi

• 28 August 2018
  • 77 replies

I've been having an issue for about a week now where as soon as my phone connects to Wifi, I begin having issues sending and receiving text messages. I've been having the same issue as well as my Girlfriend, her Mom, and her Daughter all having the exact same issues when on WiFi. This includes 4 different phones, 3 different Samsung models and an iPhone. All T-Mobile devices. This issue seems to only be with text messaging. No issues with calls or any type of Data or internet related App. Just sending and receiving text messages.

I called support last week because I was certain this was a known issue for many people, but was told it was not. I went through all the trouble shooting steps with the team and nothing they could do seemed to fix the issue. I cleared my cache, checked my data to ensure it was all setup correctly, I'm even now using a brand new Note 9 and still having the same issues. When I called originally I was using my s7 Edge.

I've taken a few photos where you can see the change.

When you're not on WiFi you can see the 4gLTE symbol next to the service indicator and it seems to work fine.

https://postimg.cc/image/xsv6evu2v/

As soon as I connect to WiFi, that 4gLTE symbol goes away. I'm pretty sure it never did this before.

https://postimg.cc/image/r2ep5gemv/

Then when sending I get these errors..

https://postimg.cc/image/nisrfmwhj/

On top of the issue with sending failures, sometimes after taking minutes to send, the person who is receiving the message will get up to 4 copies of the same message. I will also receive up to 4 copies of a message when getting texts. So it's an issue with incoming and outgoing.

This seems to be something that change with an update/service. Not the device or anything. When I got my note 9, the 1st thing it had me do was connect  to WiFi and I immediately noticed this same issue (no 4gLTE symbol) before installing a single APP or anything.

I'd like to point out, this is not always an issue. Most time it works pretty well, however it's a daily occurrence for the last week. Happens while I have full cell and 500MB+ WiFi service.

Please advise how this is to be resolved.

Thanks,

Matthew

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 5 September 2018, 17:05

View original

77 replies

Has anyone resolved this issue? I have same problem. Pixel 2xl. I have tried everything....

I have exact same problem, and it IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. It makes me hate this MOTO--IT NEVER SENDS TEXTS IF WIFI IS CONNECTED. AND TO MAKE IT ALL THE MORE IRRITATING, IT FREQUENTLY WON'T SEND A TEXT UNLESS I TURN WIFI ON, LET IT CONNECT, THEN TURN IT OFF. THEN IT WILL SEND THE TEXT. THIS IS BS THAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS FOR 18 MONTHS AND NOT ONE SINGLE THING HAS BEEN DONE TO FIX IT. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

I have "Keep mobile data turned on" selected in Developer Options, and that didn't help either. This is definitely a T-Mobile issue.

My husband and I are having the same exact issues the wifi takes forever to send or I get a failed to send message all started after the last update. Also the cursor likes to jump to the beginning of the message mid text. Super annoying and inconvenient. Please fix this tmobile.

Lori

Question to tmobile - i saw the comment saying this was account specific, but have you found any common cause?  Texting over wifi was working fine in my office until a few weeks ago. Now it frequently shows 'sending' before it fails.  I have to try a couple of times to get the messages to go through.  My phone is a galaxy s7 that I have had for 3 years and it was purchased from tmobile.  The cell service is my office is unreliable so I depend on wifi for calling and texting.   

I've always had this problem on T-Mobile networks. I have very bad reception at work, and I'm able to receive calls just fine on their free Wifi. When trying to send/receive text messages, I get network error messages. I thought it was just me. This problem only seems to occur while I'm at work. Though to be fair I have the smart setting enabled that when I'm at work to turn on Wifi and when at home to turn on data. I find the data has a better reception and is a lot more reliable.

I don't think it's account specific when it seems to be an issue for a lot of people. If it is account specific they need to have wifi texting enabled on all accounts when signing up and to current accounts.

Mine has been this way since I've had service through T-Mobile.

Don't hate the phone, hate the servicer.

That is turned on by default.

Same here, various WiFi (so not router or internet company) and various phones. Been going on for at least 3 years.

I've been on T-Mobile for a year, haven't changed phones,, haven't moved  nothing has changed.  This started happening with me a week ago.  After turning off my wifi, my texts started sending and receiving immediately but what a pain to have to turn wifi off every time I want to text.

Userlevel 4

Hey folks! I see some people are still trickling into this thread that are having similar/same issues. For this specific issue, it is 100% network related and we will need to speak with you over the phone to gather specific examples of these failures so that our engineering teams can further investigate.

Please call us when you have a moment so we can get this info from you securely.

OMG

This texting during WIFI problem is still going on????  My spouse and I left TMobile over a year ago, due to this problem, while using new phones.

Even by escalating this problem 3 times, it was never solved

Our one year commitment is now up with another carrier and thought I might re-try TMobile.....

Seems I better not....

Same thing happening to me since all my T-Mobile phones for the last few years. Is this fixed yet???

We recently switched from Verizon and brought our Samsung devices, S6, S7, S8 & S9. We are experiencing the same problem, and interestingly enough it seems it a very common problem that's gone back at least to the beginning of this post. Below are my APN settings, anything look like it can be tweaked to fix my issue? Also, I have the "always keep mobile data activated" in the advanced menu.

This might help someone. My issues are sorted out now but when I had problems missing and sending text pinning the text app to homescreen fixed it. Idk why but it worked. Worth a try. Just hit the pin icon in the upper right of your text app. Was a life saver for me about a year ago. Works now tho. Btw I've got an issue i just noticed that could be related. Whenever i dont have cell service, or i have mobile data turned off, pictures don't go through wifi at all. Seems its a symptom of a bigger picture here though

Same here, for quite a while with multiple devices. Weird thing is on my home wifi it's fine. But at our vacation rental house on wifi texting images simply won't work. They always get stuck sending and then fail. Super frustrating and I doubt it's a phone issue or an individual  account issue since so many people are reporting it.

My phone just started doing this last week. What kind of phone company lets this sort of known issue persist for so long. I have changed nothing. The phone just stopped sending my texts. Now  I must turn off wifi to get the phone to send a text. I have a moto g5+. Wifi works well with other devices. I am looking forward to my family coming back from  a trip see if their tmobile  phones have the same problem. My son's phone is on another carrier and it sends  texts over my wifi with no problem. Maybe i need to switch carriers.

This issue everybody has mentioned is the same I've been having for about a year. I thought all along (it's an old phone) it was my S4. "SGH-T999L" The software version is 4.3 (the best for my phone right now) ... To receive text messages, I literally have to turn off my wi-fi or go out of range (which will automatically disconnect me from wi-fi) I'll give an example here. My bank will automatically send me a text when ever my bank account has a transaction over a certain amount. Deposit or Withdrawal. Since I know I just had a deposit & I am at home, connected to my wi-fi, I know I'll be getting a text but in order to get that text I have to turn off my wi-fi. Now, if I go somewhere which takes me out of range and off my wi-fi, I will immediately get those texts. (We've experimented with this issue by going out of range or having somebody sitting 10 feet from me, texting me) Only after I turn off wi-fi do I receive texts. The problem is possibly my phone, software version, the provider, or Google intercepting my texts, what ever, but it is a problem and getting very annoying. (btw: I don't download apps & only update what was on my phone when it was brand new) Any way, I haven't been able to fix the issue & hope this info helps.

Just switched to T-mobile from Walmart. I never ever had any problems with walmart, but this is a reoccurring issue with T-mobile. It can take up to an hour to get texts, if I get them at all. This makes time sensitive logins and things that use temp text code to complete problematic.I also have random calling issues where I am connected to wifi; people are being sent to my voicemail, and I just simply receive a missed call notification.

When I spoke to T-Mobile about several of these issues I was told by the rep and let me quote here "Maybe T-Mobile is not the right network for you."

Badge

I'm  having the same exact issues  text with  wifi on  takes forever to send or I get a failed to send message all started after the last update. Also the cursor likes to jump to the beginning of the message mid text. Text messages with my work are time sensitive! I'm honestly thinking of leaving TMobile over this issue. fix this tmobile.

Userlevel 4

Hey folks! With this issue being on the network side, we will need to speak with you over the phone to collect examples from you to escalate to our engineers. Please contact us if you are still having issues.

Same issues here. T-Mobile should be embarrassed that the problem has gone on this long with no solution  

Badge

Hi Chris, I already went through this exercise with the engineers and what not, they did whatever they had to do but problem is still happening.

Once I send a message then all the missing messages arrive. This is so intermittent. The problem is that you never know if its happening and you can be missing VERY important incoming communications.