Question

texts not received from other carriers

• 16 March 2021
  • 26 replies

Badge

Hi! I have been a T-Mobile customer for approximately 2 weeks. When I first transferred my service from Verizon, I was receiving all of my text messages. Two days after switching, all texts stopped from people outside of T-Mobile. I can send text messages and people receive them but I cannot receive text messages from anybody with another carrier, and I cannot receive MMS messages from T-Mobile users. When I contacted customer service, they directed my issue to engineering who responded that I needed a new sim card. I went into the T-Mobile store, got a new SIM, which did not make my text messages push through. So, they thought that it was a device issue and I purchased a new Pixel 4A. The issue still is not fixed. When I re-contacted customer service, they put another request for the engineers. My text messages pushed through approximately 3 to 4 days later. Then I stopped receiving messages again and it was pushed back to engineering. A few days after that all of my text messages came through and I had messaging for about 5 days. Yet again, my messages stopped. Engineers' response was that I need a new phone. I'm not quite sure how that would fix this issue because I already did get a new phone with a new SIM card and that didn't fix the messaging issue. Does anybody have an idea?

26 replies

Honestly, you're better off switching back to Verizon or getting At&t if you want reliable service. This has been a widespread issue on Tmobile for a few years now and they fail to address and fix the problem. I always come back to T-Mobile every 2 years to see if they've improved and every single time the same problem you're having arises for me after a week or two of service. Not only that I've noticed the network has more degradation and congestion each time. So I'll be switching back to Verizon stat. Save yourself the frustration and pay for a reliable network that actually works. I really want Tmobile to succeed but with the hot mess of the Sprint merger and other network issues they have, it seems they only care about their marketing and sales and spewing lies about their reliability and coverage. According to rootmetrics, Tmobile is still far behind big red and blue and i doubt they will ever catch up. Don't listen to the T-Mobile stans and simps, this is about your money and the service you are getting for it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi! I have been a T-Mobile customer for approximately 2 weeks. When I first transferred my service from Verizon, I was receiving all of my text messages. Two days after switching, all texts stopped from people outside of T-Mobile. I can send text messages and people receive them but I cannot receive text messages from anybody with another carrier, and I cannot receive MMS messages from T-Mobile users. When I contacted customer service, they directed my issue to engineering who responded that I needed a new sim card. I went into the T-Mobile store, got a new SIM, which did not make my text messages push through. So, they thought that it was a device issue and I purchased a new Pixel 4A. The issue still is not fixed. When I re-contacted customer service, they put another request for the engineers. My text messages pushed through approximately 3 to 4 days later. Then I stopped receiving messages again and it was pushed back to engineering. A few days after that all of my text messages came through and I had messaging for about 5 days. Yet again, my messages stopped. Engineers' response was that I need a new phone. I'm not quite sure how that would fix this issue because I already did get a new phone with a new SIM card and that didn't fix the messaging issue. Does anybody have an idea?

Hello Erin! As long as their is no blocking placed on your line then you can try and Update Carrier Service on your Google Play Store. Power cycle the device and run some test.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey, we really want this issue to be fixed. Check out our Messaging and Email troubleshooting to resolve this issue. 

I use an iPhone 12 with T-Mobile business line service.

Coworkers who use Verizon with Android ARE NOT able to send SMS messages to me.

Coworkers who use Verizon with iPhone ARE able to send SMS messages to me (whether iMessage is turned on or off. 

I have fully reset and erased the iPhone without restoring a backup, the problem persists regardless.

Please help!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra, and I can receive some texts from Verizon, but I now have 4 people confirmed that I can't receive from. 3 iphone users and 1 Android. I don't know how many others I'm not getting. People from work (not sure of business' carrier) have said they've been trying. T-Mobile says there are no failed messages, but we're up to dozens now and I'm furious. I've only had this service for 2 weeks. I'm probably switching tonight

Was this issue ever resolved? Having the same problem

Hello,

I was wondering if this issues has been resolved. Just recently ported my phone from Verizon to T-Mobile back in the beginning of January 2023. Everything was well until an update a few days ago. I have an android S22 phone and I cannot receive texts from Verizon Iphones and older model androids. They can read my texts and we can both make and receive phone calls from each other. 

The T-mobile store people told me they have exhausted all options. We did factory reset, network reset, technical support where they reset something, changed to a different S22, and still no luck. One thing though, the texts was received when we put my S22 sim card into an older model S 10 test phone they have at the store. They actually suggested that I should go back with Verizon 🤣

If possible, somebody please respond. It can be frustrating missing a text from potential business or worst a significant love partner.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have any of you tried a different SMS/MMS app?  Android Messages has been very unreliable since June of last year but switching to Textra or Pulse has been a much better experience.  Do you have RCS enabled or disabled?  Personally, I leave the chat functions off.

Badge

Hello,

I was wondering if this issues has been resolved. Just recently ported my phone from Verizon to T-Mobile back in the beginning of January 2023. Everything was well until an update a few days ago. I have an android S22 phone and I cannot receive texts from Verizon Iphones and older model androids. They can read my texts and we can both make and receive phone calls from each other. 

The T-mobile store people told me they have exhausted all options. We did factory reset, network reset, technical support where they reset something, changed to a different S22, and still no luck. One thing though, the texts was received when we put my S22 sim card into an older model S 10 test phone they have at the store. They actually suggested that I should go back with Verizon 🤣

If possible, somebody please respond. It can be frustrating missing a text from potential business or worst a significant love partner.

I am having the exact same issue and it is infuriating. I dont know what to do anymore. I’ve read on reddit that going to the FCC and filing a complaint would help but I am not really sure how to do that. This has been a nightmare and a family member suggested just switching my number but I really dont want to do that. I’m at a loss of what to do, this has been one of the most frustrating things to deal with at the start of the year.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been having this problem since November. I’ve called numerous times and they finally submitted a trouble ticket for me to an engineer in January. I never received a follow up, and my texting issues are still there. I finally had enough and filed with the FCC. 

Badge

Hello,

Same here, they tried everything they could and threw there hands in the air and said. We don't know what is wrong. And the store told me I should switch back to Verizon. The employees working at these stores must know that they don't care about their customers. Best of luck to you.

@Erin7217, did you have an iPhone on Verizon before you switched?  If so you may need to go in and deactivate iMessage from your Apple Cloud account.  I can’t remember where exactly to do this, but essentially if Apple still has you registered as an Apple user, other Apple devices will still try to send you texts via iMessage.

Same problem.   I just switched to T-Mobile and got a Pixel 6a, I previously had the Pixel 3 on Verizon.  I cannot received texts from Android users on Verizon but I can on T-Mobile or AT&T.

But I can receive messages if they are in a group chat.  Very frustrating.

I ported a line into my account a week ago and it’s having the exact same issue.

• Not able to recieve SMS messages from verizon.
  • - Can send SMS to verizon
  • - Can send and receive MMS (also what group txt uses)
  • - Can receive calls

I saw a comment somewhere that reporting it to the FCC helps.  Seems to be an issue with Verizon.  I reported it, we'll see if the helps.

I’m having this exact issue as you guys.  I switched service from Verizon to T-Mobile on Thursday Feb 6th 2023. I’ve spent about 10 - 12 hours on the phone with tech support and in the store trying to get this issue fixed.  Yesterday my local T-Moble store added a second line (temporary number so we can receive texts from those on Verizon, and not have to be in a group to do it) to our phones with a new number and it works perfectly.   So their belief is that somehow in the porting of the numbers (my wife and I are having the exact same issues with the same people all on Verizon) something got messed up.  So they are trying to trouble shoot this now, they said it would take a couple days, to see it they can fix our numbers or if we will need the keep the new numbers they added to our phones.  I hope that’s clear enough for you guys to use it to get your problems fixed too.  

Fingers crossed, We’ve had some of our family and friends with Verizon numbers open support cases. And are using google voice as a work around for now.

If anyone finds the resolution to this, please post it here.  I switched from Verizon to TMO a day ago and already have lost a bunch of messages from Verison people.  I’ve been on the phone with TMO support for over an hour and it’s so frustrating, their incompetence is astounding. 

having the same problem, but i found a way to fix it i think. This has worked for me so far. Not fun but i am deleting the contact and reentering back in. havent had a problem since with that contact.

solved. I switched to AT&T.

So, as mentioned above:

• Not able to recieve SMS messages from verizon.
  • - Can send SMS to verizon
  • - Can send and receive MMS (also what group txt uses)
  • - Can receive calls
  • Only thing I can Add It must be a Verizon problem - Ask your Verizon people if they get the “message sent” or similar message when they send you a message.
  • I asked my Verizon people to call and ask their support why they can’t send messages to T-Mobile friends.

I have had the same issue with a brand new 14 PRO iPhone and have gone through all the reset and various hoop jumping that customer service had me do and still not resolved. If there’s not a fix brought to my attention I will need to change carriers, it’s not good to lose friends and business connections. 

Wondering if anyone has a solution yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it isnt exactly a fully across TMO issue..you see the same posts over at V as well as ATT..

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Apple/SMS-issue/m-p/1237352

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Apple/Text-message-not-received-from-other-carriers/m-p/1234776

https://forums.att.com/conversations/samsung/receiptants-of-another-carrier-cannot-receive-my-text-messages/63dfe09c3ac0ad35d9cff7f8

https://forums.att.com/conversations/android/not-receiving-text-messages-from-other-carriers/5fa328704833932251ff781f

https://forums.att.com/conversations/data-messaging-features-internet-tethering/not-getting-texts-from-phones-on-other-carriers/6075ab0ba2ed1c099b9bc50d

So, I can receive text if it comes with a picture or if someone in a group chat is from vz but not from an individual, all other carrier's are fine. The Vz people say when they send me a text it doesn't send. 

I filed a complaint with the FCC,  Vz responded with an email, something like, I'm Taylor handling your case you can reach me at xxxxxxxx extension xxxxxxxxxx, but when I call that number no extension is available only to leave a voicemail, no one ever call me back. Called the FCC, they were very nice, documented what I said. The FCC said they have to respond within 30 days, so I'll let you know here.

This issue will never be fixed so don’t hold your breath. Let me tell you my story. I don’t recall exact dates. But I was with Verizon then ported to AT&T with no issues. Now in the closer present I was on straight talk ported over to AT&T. I could call Straight talk people but never receive their text. My girlfriend was on ST and could be sitting right next to me. I even ported my number back out of AT&T to T Mobile. Once the problem was on my number didn’t matter where I went the problem was permanent. The only fix is to get a new number. Quick as I did all worked fine. Waste time on the phone or even contact FCC I bet there never is a fix. As they all blame the other guy. Plus no one even has a clue what is wrong to fix it. I have thought of going back to AT&T but 50/50 if end up changing number once I do. The entire thing is a joke I think to make people get a number from that carrier. But don’t think it just goes away when you port as it does not