Solved

Tombile SIM not working in India!

• 15 February 2019
  • 26 replies

I have a tmobile sim card which I am currently using on an Iphone X. I am not Getting any reception since last 2 weeks. No network bars available.

- Contacted customer care and made some network settings with them still doesn't work.

- Selected manual network (Vodafone and Idea) and also kept on automatic network selection for a while. Still not working.

- Indian Sim card works perfectly fine in the same phone.

- Tried Tmobile sim card in Samsung S9, shows couple of network bars but unable to make calls or incoming calls. Says (Not on registered network)

I have used tmobile sim card 1 year ago while Roaming in India in the same area and it worked perfectly fine. Now I am totally frustrated. I have interview calls lined up and other stuff and I am unable to do many things.

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 21 February 2019, 13:25

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Has your plan changed since you were there last?  Are you a prepaid customer? 

India is one of the most frustrating places for roamers. Roaming partners work then stop working. A partner that works in one state won't work in another. It's a mess and has been a mess for as long as I can recall. How long have you been in India this trip?

I reached India on February 2nd and had service for a couple of days. And than it stopped working and is same ever since.

I am a postpaid customer and my plan hasn't changed ever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try powering off your device fully for at least a few minutes.  This will allow your device to refresh its connection to the roaming partner. 

Well, I guess it's just an India roaming problem. Really, just use the search and look for India. You'll see quite a few customers have problems there.

I am also facing the same problem ....

After reaching India I had service for a couple of days and suddenly it stopped working without getting any calls or text messages.

Having same issue. Any luck on your side?

Any luck? Is the issue fixed?

I just called cust care ... they said their engineering team is working on this issue.

Thanks. Please update once the issue is fixed.

Exactly the same thing with me. I don't know what's the problem. I tried to work things up with vodafone customer care as well because tmobile mentioned them as their partner in India but no solution there either. They said, Tmobile has to resolve this and Tmobile reps on line says its an international network and we cannot guarantee any sevice in international zones.

I have tried everything I can. Reached out to voda, reached out to tmobile, researched over internet but no solution could be found. Problem still persists. Tmobile needs to take care of this or I think I will have to move my accounts somewhere else.

Same problem here. Doesn't currently work in Hyderabad. Just stopped about a day or 2 ago. Was working fine on Vodafone for a month until a few days ago (in multiple cities), I confirmed it wasn't a hardware issue because the sim wouldn't connect to a network in my other phone either. This is extremely frustrating as there's no time you need your phone more than when you're travelling internationally. I'm happy that they include international data and texting but if it's going to be unreliable that's dangerous.

Any updates on resolution?

Userlevel 4

Hmm.

It sounds like there may need to be a ticket filed. While it's true we're often very very limited as to what we can do with a foreign network, if it is something from our side, a ticket is the only way to identify that.

If anyone has the opportunity, I would suggest reaching out to T-Force on FB or Twitter (links in my signature) and see if they can file a ticket!

-Lauren

I've been to India several times and this occasionally happens to me as well.  Your easiest option is to restart your phone and then change your settings to pick up a cell provider automatically.  If this issue doesn't get resolved by the time you have to make those important phone calls, I would recommend downloading Skype and putting some credit onto your account.  This would require you to be in a WiFi hotspot, which I know can be very inconvenient but it is better than nothing.

Yash,

I'm presently in India and have Global 1+ added to my account - I arrived in Delhi on 03apr19 and then traveled on 04apr19 to Indore (MP Circle).

I have been served by iDEA  in Delhi and now iDEA MP here in Indore with excellent service quality but ZERO DATA...

I can set my s10+ to 3g/lte only and access the UMTS network if I do that - but in auto mode i am stuck on GSM - both scenarios are ZERO DATA...

The thing is - from the time I arrived until this morning 07apr19 I HAD DATA without issue - where-ever I was... I've been staying at the same hotel all week and served by the same sites but the data just STOPPED 100% this morning...

T-Mobile's Script Cards for troubleshooting are intended for the technically challenged types and are insanely annoying to repeat over and over again - especially because it should be readily apparent that it is a provisioning issue somewhere and not a hardware issue... Especially seeing as I provided proof of how many different radios I have connected to in both GSM and UMTS and have no data on any of them regardless of by better than -80dBm RX levels and good quality indicators - but alas - they just keep repeating the same nonsense about APN's, phone issues, site issues, setting the #RON# command - turning on and off mobile data and roaming data - not to mention manually selecting the operator - ALL TO NO POINT as after 5hrs of repeating the same steps over an over again - IT STILL DOESN'T WORK - WORSE is they have opened two tickets for it but by the time they even look at either ticket - I'll be leaving India - just like what happened when the same issue happened with my s8 when I was in the Bahamas two months back... NO RESOLUTION...

I might suggest that it would seem once I reached about 500mb of data iDEA just cut me off & blocked data entirely... (ohh btw - T-Mo people don't know that iDEA is actually Vodafone - so if they try to tell you that iDEA isn't their roaming partner (3 people did for me) just ignore them and tell them "Yeah - right - iI meant t's Vodafone"...

Not sure if I mentioned or not - but Voice and SMS Texting works without issue...

Also, attempted to register to the other 2 main operators here (Jio & Airtel) and both operators refuse registration - only iDEA will allow you to register and make calls / sms texts...

If you or anyone else resolve this issue - please mention me on here so I can find out - I may be coming back for another 2wk stint in a month so it would be great to know how they (T-Mo) fixes this issue (or if they do)...

Thanks!

Chris (2loki4u)

I have been on international roaming in India since few months. Everything was working great till 2 weeks back, when I was on Vodafone network & I had DATA working as well. Ever since Vodafone started merging into IDEA, I also have the same issue now...strong signal on IDEA but NO DATA.

TMo needs to fix this with Vodafone/IDEA.

-PS

If you want to know Jio Tower Installation details then visit the website RJTCC.COM

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

T-Mobile can't guarantee international roaming partners' performance. A local SIM is probably your best option. 

I am in India, Bangalore right now. Have the international roaming enabled with 15gb data plan. Apparently Vi India or the Vodaphone is their default partner and there is zero data in most places (been all over the city for 10 days now). 
The T-Mobile technical support say that I can pick the network partner I want from the list, apparently that’s not possible on my iPhone 11 even with IOS 15.1

i plan to ask for a refund of $50 and buy a local sim for the duration of my trip.

t Mobile should be honest about the services they offer and not waste their customers time and energy (I spent several long hours with their customer support and they have no clue as to how to solve the problem)

note: T-Mobile non-US support was unable to solve any of my problems so far, and they take up annoying long time to understand the problem. 

I’d appreciate anyone sharing a solution to my problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

note: T-Mobile non-US support was unable to solve any of my problems so far…..

I’d appreciate anyone sharing a solution to my problem.

Is this the support you get when you call +1-505-998-3793? That line is supposed to be staffed with people who specialize in international roaming.

I don’t use iPhones, so I can’t say how one might go about manually selecting a different roaming partner. I believe Apple took out that menu item. I don’t think there’s a solution for slow data roaming other than picking a different network or getting a local SIM. I believe the limiting factor is the speed of the data link from the roamed network back to T-Mobile’s APN. This is not an issue with a local SIM.

Hey guys I am using prepaid t mobile in India. There are Vodafone bars. I get msgs otp from t mobile but I am not getting regular text msgs. I am using USA t mobile service in India. i- msgs are working perfectly but there is issue with text msg, pls help me.

thank you

I was in India in Sept and Oct 2022 with an iPhone 14 Pro. The T Mobile Unlimited cellular data worked nicely almost everywhere in villages, small towns, cities and airports in seven states between Delhi and Kolkata. 

Occasionally, I had to switch off the iPhone and reboot it up to help it to re-login to the best signal cell tower. I have the Magenta Unlimited plan. I do not work for T Mobile, nor does anyone in my family or friends.

These were my iPhone options → Settings : Cellular → then Cellular Data : On (Green); Cellular Data Options : Roaming On; Personal Hotspot : Off. T-Mobile Turn On This Line : On (Green); Scrolled down and confirmed that all the desired Data-driven Apps were On (green).

No surprise shock bill charges by T Mobile with those settings and after the trip for roaming internationally. Yes, I have received the bill that covers the travel period in India, after returning back to the USA.