Solved

Trying to get a definitive answer to the following: For Simple Choice North America, is international roaming data now unlimited? Also, has the speed been increased from 128kbps to 3G/4G?

• 19 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Trying to get a definitive answer to the following: For Simple Choice North America, is international roaming data now unlimited? Also, has the speed been increased from 128kbps to 3G/4G?

icon

Best answer by dragon1562 20 March 2017, 18:37

It is basically saying you get unlimited LTE data here in the USA(as well as Canada and Mexico depending on the plan). Then also you gain the ability to have texting in the 140+ countries/destinations. My original post was pretty concise so I'm not sure where the confusion is and i'm sorry for it but if you still don't believe me look below on the main sight. You will see a * under roaming being doubled. I have taken advantage of this numerous times this is how it works.

You can also check what you will get by going here :International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

you will see when you check a country the coverage you can expect and it will show 2g and 3g as your options to connect to. If you do connect to LTE it will be throttled down to 3g speeds.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Data has always been unlimited just throttled to 2g speeds(128kb) on the original simple choice plans. However that changed slightly with the one plan  where speeds got doubled to "3g" speed (256kb). You will not see the increase in international roaming on your older plan though.

Sorry, but I'm still confused. See screen shot from website: It clearly states "unlimited LTE data" for One and for Simple Choice".

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It is basically saying you get unlimited LTE data here in the USA(as well as Canada and Mexico depending on the plan). Then also you gain the ability to have texting in the 140+ countries/destinations. My original post was pretty concise so I'm not sure where the confusion is and i'm sorry for it but if you still don't believe me look below on the main sight. You will see a * under roaming being doubled. I have taken advantage of this numerous times this is how it works.

You can also check what you will get by going here :International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

you will see when you check a country the coverage you can expect and it will show 2g and 3g as your options to connect to. If you do connect to LTE it will be throttled down to 3g speeds.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Cell Phone Plans | Unlimited Data Plans | T-Mobile One

Thanks for the information and for confirming that you’ve experienced it first hand and the speed is 3G. In your experience is that sufficient to run a GPS app such as Waze?

I still think the T-Mobile website is a bit deceptive, promising LTE when they actually throttle it back to 3G.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

GPS doesn't work to well at the slow speeds but once it is loaded up or if you pre install the map when are wifi it works pretty good.

We have roamed in 12+ countries since the intl. roaming feature came in about 3 years ago.  We could use Google maps driving all over Romania, Ecuador, Croatia and walking around some Chinese cities.  Also used it a little bit in other countries. to some extent.  Speed tests never exceeded 120  - usually right at 110-112.