Question

unable to access internet data in Mexico appeared “PDP authentication failure”

• 6 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi, I am in Mexico, I turned on data roaming and got a $5 add on, I have done all troubleshooting on the website but still unable to access to the internet, Safari appears “Could not activate cellular data network PDP authentication failure” 

contacted T-Mobile a few times still unable to use internet data, please help thank you

My account is T-Mobile Unlimited $50 prepaid + $5 add on, iPhone12 pro

5 replies

I had the same problem in last month and this month with 2 different phones on the same plan. Paid the $5 add-on, got the text message once landing in Mexico that we have service, but got that PDP failure message whenever trying to use data. Tried all of the troubleshooting tips, and nothing worked.

Calls worked fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Tried all of the troubleshooting tips, and nothing worked.

You didn’t list the troubleshooting tips you tried, but the following thread might help:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_core_network#PDP_context

Have you tried connecting to a different carrier?

Wow ...this problem has been going on for a while. I use an iPhone 11 Pro . installed T-Mobile esim for whenever I’m in the US. Note that my phone works everywhere and I’ve never had an issue with data. My data works in the US with T-Mobile. I’ve been to Canada twice with it and I turned on the service ($5)to get data and calls in Canada. Unfortunately all I got was PDP failure.

And yes I too went through the hoops with customer service and then the tech team. Nothing worked!

As I have mentioned, my phone works fine whenever I travel. Never had data issues. Not even in Canada with the exception of this particular situation: esim, prepaid plan with add-on for Canada/Mexico. 

On both trips I used an Airalo esim for data only when I could not get my T-Mobile data to work. No issues with that esim data.

I’m thinking there is an issue with something that is embedded in the network code. It is not the phone and it really is an insult when we have to keep pointing out that the phone data works just fine including in the US but just not in Canada or Mexico as the case may be.

Surely by now someone should have spent the time to dig deep and find a solution. I’m also guessing that many more people have this issue but they just give up trying to solve it. Instead, they probably find an alternative.

Is there a way to change the APN on the T-Mobile esim?

Badge +1