Unable to access YouTube, IG, NetFlix on mobile data

Badge

Just got my son a new Samsung S22 as we thought his old phone was the issue as he’s unable to access YouTube, Netflix, Instagram, etc. while on mobile network. It works fine when we are on Wifi. Also, data is working as we are able to search via google and also ran a speed test which shows up fine. The T-Mobile support person assisting us while I was on a call with them over an hour could not figure it out either and said he was going to escalate the issue. Still have not heard anything. Any thoughts on what can be driving this?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

have you tried swapping the sim card to a different phone to see if the problem follows or works fine on the next tester device?

Userlevel 1

I don't use Netflix or any other streaming service but have this issue with YouTube app. All videos play fine in a mobile browser. In the android app, many won't load. There's a circle that keeps spinning. With WiFi, the issue doesn't exist, as you said.

I have the same issue with iphone 13. My apps does not open on 5G pr LTE

I have the same problem with my iPhone 12 and 13 were you able to fix it ?

i am having the same issue with my son.  it started about a month or so ago.  after it started we upgraded him from an iphone 6 to an iphone 12 and that didn’t resolve the issue.  

Same issue here. The issue started since my iPhone 8, and I switched to iPhone 13 last year, but the problem still not gone. Youtube app will only stream video on wifi connection, will not stream on tmobile data, neither will Netflix and Hulu apps will stream on data. 

I'm experiencing this problem with my son's phone which started around 2 months ago. We went to a T-Mobile store and the sales associate said our plan was old then tried to upsell us on a new plan. It didn't make sense because my wife, son, and I have identical plans but he is the only one with the issue.

I am able to remedy the problem by using a VPN on my son's phone. For some reason tmobile is blocking/limiting data from certain apps. The VPN hides what data is being used and allows full speed and access to apps like Netflix, Tiktok, Instagram, etc.

I'd like to know the reason why 3rd party apps are being limited all of a sudden.

Userlevel 1

My son, too! Today we spent HOURS at both Apple store and TMobile. Because no one could quite figure it out, we were given a brand new phone by Apple and a brand new SIM card from TMobile. Problem still exists. It seems to only effect sites/apps that have video or game graphics: YouTube (app and site), Netflix (app and site), Snapchat, most games, etc. We have all new equipment. At the Apple store they put our new SIM card in a BRAND NEW phone and they claim it’s a SIM issue. TMobile “tested” the SIM and claims it is working fine. I have no idea what to do next! Help!!!

Did all of you have screen limits at some point on you phones? (We’ve tested with them on and off)

Or do some in family have Magenta vs Magenta 1.0?  Grasping at straws here…

Not sure if this helps anyone else but I found a solution of:

• logging into my t-mobile account on the app
  • going to MORE in the bottom right corner
  • Profile settings which should be the first option
  • family controls which is about the 6th one down as long as they don’t update the app
  • webguard which should be the second option
  • select the line you’re having an issue with
  • and put it on no filtering
  • save changes

it seems anything other than no filtering can block YouTube, Netflix, Instagram, TikTok and many other apps

small edit: it did take about 10 minutes for it to change. Aside from that I would ask customer service to see if webguard was properly removed off the account.

Userlevel 1

Yes! This was the fix for us. Turns out the webguard was improperly turned on by a rep, even after I explicitly said “…please don’t initiate any blocks.” It took 2nd tier tech service like 30 seconds to discover this for me. They were able to tell me exactly when it was turned “on” by one of their customer service reps, then looked at 8-month-old chat records and saw I had said “please don’t initiate.” I was (still am) so upset. After I pitched a fit, they gave us a small amount of credit since it was 100% their error. Doesn’t make up for the hours and hours we spent at Apple and T-Mobile stores, no one being able to figure it out. Not to mention, SO much arguing and frustration with my teen. He was convinced we were punishing him by blocking this 3rd party data. 

If you are having this issue, don’t waste time at the stores! Try the method described in the post above Or call and check if any parent webguards are unknowingly active.

Same problem here. YouTube, Netflix etc works fine when connected to wifi but, not when out and about. My daughter’s and my brother’s, both T-Mobile,  phones, while standing right next to me work fine just not mine. The CRSs at the T-Mobile store told me my phone was too old and needed to be replaced. It was an S10+. So, I purchased a new S22 Ultra and same problem once I got away from the T-Mobile store. I’ve been back 4 times and they can’t figure it out. I just spent another $1,000.00 plus and I am still having the same problem.