Question

Unlocked phone from Best Buy and Tmobile 5g

• 28 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

This morning I purchased an unlocked Motorola Edge 5g phone from Best Buy. The phone works fine and I got an R-15 SIM card from Tmobile, but so far I have not seen any 5g coverage using it.

I have read about OTA updates having been done on people’s phones.

Is this OTA update needed for my phone to get onto 5g and if so, will I get the OTA even though it is an unlocked phone purchased from Best Buy?

6 replies

Badge +1

Thanks to everyone for the info. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I’m in Southern California. I did kind’ve get confirmation that the phone is working on 5g by doing speed tests. Downloads are averagine anywhere from about 80mbps upwards to almost 200 at night. This in itself would not tell me much but when I’ve run the test alongside a non 5g phone, these speeds are usually much higher.

Does anyone know what the 5g symbol next to the signal strength bars is actually telling me? It doesn’t see that it means I am connected to a 5g tower as it’s always there, but I wonder if it’s just telling me the phone is ready for a 5g signal. Anyone know?

Syaran, when you say it needs a reason to, do you mean that the phones are intelligent enough to distinguish when I am doing something that might demand the higher speed, and fall back when I don’t?

It should be, just like it will switch to the better connection on LTE when there are multiple towers to connect to.  In areas around me where 5G also exists.  My OnePlus 8 5G will not change to 5G until I start downloading something, watching YouTube, updating apps, or other tasks that benefit from a faster connection connection.  If the device is just sitting there idling, then it stays on LTE. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

On our S20 5G the “5G” symbol just means that there’s a 5G signal in the area. When I check the engineering menu, I’m only seldom actually connected to the sole 5G tower in the area.

If “Southern California” means L.A. or San Diego, you should have 5G service. If it means “Brawley” maybe not so much.

Badge +1

I’m in Southern California. I did kind’ve get confirmation that the phone is working on 5g by doing speed tests. Downloads are averagine anywhere from about 80mbps upwards to almost 200 at night. This in itself would not tell me much but when I’ve run the test alongside a non 5g phone, these speeds are usually much higher.

Does anyone know what the 5g symbol next to the signal strength bars is actually telling me? It doesn’t see that it means I am connected to a 5g tower as it’s always there, but I wonder if it’s just telling me the phone is ready for a 5g signal. Anyone know?

Syaran, when you say it needs a reason to, do you mean that the phones are intelligent enough to distinguish when I am doing something that might demand the higher speed, and fall back when I don’t?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

5G isn’t available everywhere as of yet.  For your device to shop on to 5G, it would need a reason to, if it is available where you are, like downloading a large file or streaming high quality video.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

It would help to know where you are located.