Question

Upgraded from Note8 to S21 Ultra and reused SIM - do I need a new sim

Badge

I swapped out my sim from my note8 to my new ultra S21. Calls work, I see the 5G symbol at the top, can get texts, etc.  But, heard that the sim may be too old to take advantage of standalone 5g (I guess that’s the 600Mhz band). Is this true? Support on the phone is non-committal (no strong answer one way or another).

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

cant remember but was the Note 8 a 5G device?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I swapped out my sim from my note8 to my new ultra S21. Calls work, I see the 5G symbol at the top, can get texts, etc.  But, heard that the sim may be too old to take advantage of standalone 5g (I guess that’s the 600Mhz band). Is this true? Support on the phone is non-committal (no strong answer one way or another).

Your SIM is fine.  

Badge

Your SIM is fine.  

Awesome news - I forgot to mention I bought the phone from Samsung direct and it’s the unlocked model.  Called 3 separate times to T-Mob support and got a different answer every time (you need a sim, you don’t need a sim, you don’t need a sim but you won’t have access to SA 5G).  Then I made the mistake asking about a schedule for using a eSIM for the phone and when that would happen … :-(

Badge

cant remember but was the Note 8 a 5G device?

Nope - pure 4G (LTE 4G).

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

then it wont be able to pull in 5G..you will need a 5G capable sim if memory serves..the sim card is what tells the phone what signals to pull in.

Badge

Interesting - then I don’t really understand what the “5G” symbol is trying to display then. I assumed that the phone was pulling in 5G at that spot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

pull up a speed test app and check. it’ll show what connection it is pulling in.

Badge

pull up a speed test app and check. it’ll show what connection it is pulling in.

Opensignal shows it as 5G and downloads of 190Mbps while inside my house…...

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

while inside of your house..but are you connected to wifi while doing this test or wifi is turned off?

Badge

while inside of your house..but are you connected to wifi while doing this test or wifi is turned off?

Wifi was off - I only mentioned being side if you thought the speeds were a bit slow. 

If my wifi was on, I would be pulling 960Mb down (at least it was in my last speedtest while on wifi)