Question

Venmo doesn't recognize my number as Cell

• 17 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how long it takes for Venmo to recognize that my line type is now Cell?

I ported my number from Republic Wireless to Tmobile on Feb 13th. Republic's line type is VOIP and Venmo doesn't support VOIP. 

I've entered my number in various phone number validation sites and some correctly list my number as Cell with Tmobile, but a couple of others show that I'm still with RW with a VOIP line.

Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.

7 replies

I’m having the same problem, worthyfool, have your problem resolved yet?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how long it takes for Venmo to recognize that my line type is now Cell?

I ported my number from Republic Wireless to Tmobile on Feb 13th. Republic's line type is VOIP and Venmo doesn't support VOIP. 

I've entered my number in various phone number validation sites and some correctly list my number as Cell with Tmobile, but a couple of others show that I'm still with RW with a VOIP line.

Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check in to that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Back when I used US Bank, I was able to add my name to my prepaid number and get it verified.  I had to call Customer Care for that though and that was also back in 2008.  Whether or not adding those account details still can help, I'm not sure, but it might be worth trying.  Usually, these companies that do want to verify are looking for your first and last name and current address. 

You have provided more info in three sentences than I have found in hours of scouring the internet. Thank you!

Good to know about Zelle. I'll keep checking Venmo to see if they fall into the category you mentioned.

I have successfully used Paypal so that may be the one and only pay app at my disposal.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Unfortunately, probably not.  Prepaid numbers can sometimes be used for verification but not when it comes to major things like banks, Government, and so on.  Whether Venmo falls into that, I am not sure, but Zelle isn't verifiable with a Prepaid number. 

I have a prepaid account using a SIM. Based on your comment it sounds like it's just a matter of time before Venmo's verification service registers the change in my number type. I assumed that it would happen immediately. I will hold tight and keep checking.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

However long Venmo's verification provider takes to update things in their system.  Is your number that you ported in, on a postpaid account using a SIM, not Digits?