Solved

Ways to gain signal between 5G Towers

• 14 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Hello,

My husband and I are getting ready to close on a house in less than a month. The only internet available is local phone company with 3mbs.  We have tried both the T-Mobile 5G internet device and the LTE one.  We only get one bar, and speeds up to 3-4 mbs.  Not even a ½ mile from our home, right outside our subdivision, we can pull in 5G at about 67 mbs, on my husband’s cell phone, but as soon as you pull into the subdivision he literally loses 5G and we can’t get anything.  The T-Mobile rep out where we live tells us we’re about 3 miles from the nearest tower.  Is there ANYTHING we can do or buy to increase the signal to our home?  It doesn’t make since for it to drop from 67mbs to next to nothing as we pull into the subdivision.  I have filled out the T-Mobile petition, and I’m willing to walk around and ask my neighbors to do the same, but we HAVE GOT to get signal strength so we can continue to work.  Antennas, boosters, a vile of blood, WHATEVER we need to do to get internet. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by formercanuck 15 May 2021, 18:37

There are a handful of factors that will come into play as to why service drops significantly over a short distance.

I’ve personally seen this occur in many places, especially where the cell tower is a fair distance away.

Eg.  Up in Cambria, CA, in one location, I’ll have ~50Mbps and 1-2 bars of signal, and I walk one house away, and I’m down to buffering with 0 bars (but still connected).  1 more house away and its ‘No Service’. 

You can probably check ‘cell mapper’ (app for Android, and visible with browser) to where exactly your nearest cell site is, and the actual one you are connected to (5G doesn’t always map / show properly).

If it is ~3 miles and there is much of anything between you and the site.. (hill, trees, homes/buildings) or even have the cell panels pointed in a different direction (typically 3 sectors at 120 degrees), this will impact.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There are a handful of factors that will come into play as to why service drops significantly over a short distance.

I’ve personally seen this occur in many places, especially where the cell tower is a fair distance away.

Eg.  Up in Cambria, CA, in one location, I’ll have ~50Mbps and 1-2 bars of signal, and I walk one house away, and I’m down to buffering with 0 bars (but still connected).  1 more house away and its ‘No Service’. 

You can probably check ‘cell mapper’ (app for Android, and visible with browser) to where exactly your nearest cell site is, and the actual one you are connected to (5G doesn’t always map / show properly).

If it is ~3 miles and there is much of anything between you and the site.. (hill, trees, homes/buildings) or even have the cell panels pointed in a different direction (typically 3 sectors at 120 degrees), this will impact.