Question

What is going on with the S20???

• 11 February 2021
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I came to the forums to see if I could find anyone else having the same issue, and sure enough, I found a bunch!

Got my mother an S20 FE and she has had nothing but problems with it.  Calls don’t come through, texts are delayed by hours or don’t send or deliver at all.  It is intermittent and completely random.  Samsung says it is a T-Mo signal problem. Unacceptable for a 74 year old woman who lives alone to not have a reliable device or service.

I had her switch to LTE/3G/2G network mode and we’ll see how that works.  There’s no reason the service should not work as intended on the 5G/LTE/3G/2G mode.  This is a new phone from T-Mo with the latest 5G SIM.  Regardless if there is 5G service in the area or not, people should not be having these issues.  It needs fixed!

@tmo_mike_c 

GALAXY S20 G5 disruption with txt and calls / not wifi or cell data related and many other issues | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

Samsung s20 Fe doesn't stay connected to 5G for more than a min, HELP. | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

S20+ Get Knocked Off The Nerwork | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

s20 ultra 5g issues | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

S20 Ultra 5G hiccups | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

@flythew312 @magenta10618615 @thotkiller666 @rbryinc @marathmola @gio7707 @magenta4806363 @abelgs2 @PetraSophos @richabi @JD5150

19 replies

Ugh..sorry for your issues. I know your pain! that's frustrating as it can be it's a simple fix - they have to replace your phone.

It's a Samsung problem. A lot of the s20s and note twenties had motherboard issues. I had all those issues plus more and once they replaced my phone I've had no issues but intermittent T-Mobile service problems. Samsung makes it very difficult though to get a new phone. I took it to an authorized repair facility and he's the one that first diagnosed the motherboard issue and denoted that it needs to be replaced (1500$ note 20 ultra I purchased directly from Samsung with the new watch). They still will not respect them and wanted me to mail in my phone for their technicians to look at it and we all know that just means they do a hard reset and send it back. And hardware issues don't go away until the hardware is fixed or replaced..other users with the same problem mentioned they had to send their devices to Samsung three different times for them to finally agree to replace a phone like it's their new protocol. This never used to be the situation with Samsung. They have always been so accommodating until recently. Being without a phone for over a month for me is unacceptable as well as many people since we use them for work and Samsung does not give loaner phones unless you have their insurance. I got lucky and the last day I could sign up for Samsung care plus, I canceled the insurance through T-Mobile (which is more expensive but has more coverage) and got Samsung care plus. However another rep did not agree with the first rep and told me that loaner phones are not issued understand Care Plus and of course I haven't had time to read the fine print. However, they did agree to send me a new phone after all. But it took much time and patience.

I wish you good luck on your journey!

I have 2 iPhones and for the last couple of weeks we’ve had nothing but dropped calls no service no internet texts not sending or receiving. Just straight up anything wrong with service that can be wrong. Best bet is to just switch carriers, that is what we are doing.

I have 2 iPhones and for the last couple of weeks we’ve had nothing but dropped calls no service no internet texts not sending or receiving. Just straight up anything wrong with service that can be wrong. Best bet is to just switch carriers, that is what we are doing.

you know I spent all this money and switched over from Verizon because T-Mobile has the only 5G Network in sacramento. But honestly it's too unstable and inconsistent. My Verizon 4G was just as fast if you take the averages of both. I do get intermittent text messages issues even with my replacement phone. And reboot and 10 minutes later the messages begin sending again but I never had these issues with Verizon so I may be going back myself. I also noticed that the actual call quality itself is not as good. Not saying it's bad I'm just saying that I never had one issue before

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, we have had T-Mo for probably close to 15 years and don't plan on changing. T-Mo has always been good to us. 

We have five lines. My mother's phone is the only one with issues. Hers is also the only one that has a 5G SIM card. My wife and I have Note 20 Ultra 5G phones but are using our old SIM cards without issue.  So I would suspect it either has to do with the device itself, or with the 5G network. 

There is supposedly some 5G service in our area. My phone typically shows 5G.  We don't live near a large population center and frankly, could care less about 5G. 

I just want my mother to have reliable service. If changing the Network Mode does not resolve the issue, I will push to have the phone replaced. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There is a problem with the S20 / 5G , have some dropped calls and txt, not many but enough to be a problem , following up and see what exactly the problem is, think it could be an isolated problem with some phones sent out 

m talking about the regular S20 not the SE

Userlevel 1
Badge

There is a problem with the S20 / 5G , have some dropped calls and txt, not many but enough to be a problem , following up and see what exactly the problem is, think it could be an isolated problem with some phones sent out 

m talking about the regular S20 not the SE

Seems the issue has been around for nearly a year and yet they continue to sell these phones.  If this is a Samsung issue, it is sad that carriers continue to sell this garbage and don’t push Samsung to fix it.  If it is not a T-Mo issue, it still reflects poorly on them.

Samsung Galaxy S20 not receiving or missing calls issue fix coming soon (piunikaweb.com)

S20 Ultra not receiving calls - Page 8 - Samsung Community - 1190155

Calls keep Dropping on Galaxy S20 [How to fix it] - The Droid Guy

How to fix Galaxy S20 Network Connection Errors - The Droid Guy

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for the links , yup looks like it could be a Samsung issue, very disturbing that the company never even sent a response or solution to this problem, when asking Tmo if they had any issues with the galaxy S20 I always was answered that they had no issues so far.

It seems weird to me but it looks like there is a heavy bug in the S20 , and Samsung knows about it, the software updates until now didn’t fix it. So this should be monitored closely and more people should push about this. It’s not acceptable to have an expensive phone that keeps dropping calls !! 

Something is wrong for sure 

I came to the forums to see if I could find anyone else having the same issue, and sure enough, I found a bunch!

Got my mother an S20 FE and she has had nothing but problems with it.  Calls don’t come through, texts are delayed by hours or don’t send or deliver at all.  It is intermittent and completely random.  Samsung says it is a T-Mo signal problem. Unacceptable for a 74 year old woman who lives alone to not have a reliable device or service.

I had her switch to LTE/3G/2G network mode and we’ll see how that works.  There’s no reason the service should not work as intended on the 5G/LTE/3G/2G mode.  This is a new phone from T-Mo with the latest 5G SIM.  Regardless if there is 5G service in the area or not, people should not be having these issues.  It needs fixed!

@tmo_mike_c

GALAXY S20 G5 disruption with txt and calls / not wifi or cell data related and many other issues | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

Samsung s20 Fe doesn't stay connected to 5G for more than a min, HELP. | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

S20+ Get Knocked Off The Nerwork | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

s20 ultra 5g issues | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

S20 Ultra 5G hiccups | T-Mobile Community (t-mobile.com)

@flythew312 @magenta10618615 @thotkiller666 @rbryinc @marathmola @gio7707 @magenta4806363 @abelgs2 @PetraSophos @richabi @JD5150

Me and my husband Both have Samsung S20 and have been having the Exact same issues on both of our phones!!

I have changed the APN at the Tmobile store and online to the exact same thing its suppossed to be, with no help.

I keep getting told to replace my phone at the tmobile store but i know its not the damn phones if were all having the same problem!! Ill waste more money, and time, and stress moving everything to a new phone only to experience the same issue because its not the phone!!!

I have to use airplane mode 50 times a day to get texts to send and receive.  Ill have voicemails all of a sudden because my phone calls arent coming thru.

It seems to happen when i leave or come home, so it's switching 5g towers i think.  Ive tried 4g ..idk if it still works or if im having same issues, i know i see 4g at the top of my phone and still have same issues😤🤬

Im pissed and I want it fixed, i never had Issues at Att like this!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

All Samsung devices over the COVID-19 era have taken a massive hit in software/firmware reliability and quality control.  Sadly, Samsung could care less since they still sell.  This affects every variant for North America on pretty much every model named and more.  It isn’t exclusively a Samsung issue though, as testing and quality control has dropped on pretty much all manufacturers across the board and the frequency of updates for all devices has significantly slowed as well.  I would say the only exception seems to be Google, but the Pixels aren’t perfect either.  

That definitely isn’t any excuse but make sure you complain to these companies when they polish a turd and push it out.  This is one of those times where I can appreciate the OnePlus FUT program for testing alpha and beta builds.  I think more of the bigger companies need to open up beta and alpha testing programs for people who want to volunteer to test early builds and report the bugs and issues back to these companies.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I also searched the Verizon community forums.  Same problems.  In the second link, the person found an app that forces the phone to stay in 4G LTE which appears to solve the issue. @magenta7473525 @richabi @tmo_mike_c @tmo_adam_c @tmo_amanda 

So I guess it comes down to Samsung and whether it is a hardware or software issue.  If it is software, they have had more than enough time to resolve it.  Hardware, I guess it will be a long drawn-out battle to get a replacement.

It would be great if the carriers would fight for their customers with the phone manufacturers.  I encourage everyone to make the issue as public as possible and ensure you include Samsung on whatever platforms you use.

S20 fe 5g issues - Verizon Community (verizonwireless.com)

Solution s20 FE 5g issues - Verizon Community (verizonwireless.com)

Samsung s20+ looses internet when going from 4g to... - Verizon Community (verizonwireless.com)

S20+5G no internet connection and bad call recepti... - Verizon Community (verizonwireless.com)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks Gadgetguru, 

I have posted on other platforms as well  (reddit etc), the more the better so it will get more attention 

Has anyone contacted BBB about the safety issue with S-20 not being able to send/receive calls? I believe a class action lawsuit should be filed.

Did anyone find a fix?  My s20 does not work on the tmo network.  constantly having to reset with airplane mode to get my texts and make phone calls.  horrible.  i miss sprint.

My s20 plus  been fine until a month or so ago, to me its been acting up since the updates.. probably a bug they put in IMO so you get disgusted and go get a new phone...then problem solved... again thats what ive noticed and again thats just MO..

Having same issue that started a few months ago….however, the issue I have is a bit different. The only place I have major issues is in my house. Doesn’t matter if I’m using WiFi calling, 5G, 4G, 3G….Either I only hear every 3 or so word or the receiving end only hears every 3rd or so word. Sometimes texts don’t go through but eventually they do.  HOwever, when I use WhatsApp or FB there are no issues with the call..only on the cell side. Others on T-Mobile do not have the same issue in my house.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and none of them have a S20 or they also have a S20?

also which update did yall receive semi recently? was it to Android 12 by chance or was it a security patch?

I don’t recall if my update was a security patch or OS update.  There have been a few other updates since and none of it helped. I have a the S20 Ultra. It works great everywhere else and the camera is awesome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

purchased from TMO or brought in from another carrier or purchased elsewhere?

I have 2 S20 devices (1 S20 and 1 Ultra). Both started experiencing these symptoms about 1-2 months ago at nearly the same time. T-mobile did the basic troubleshooting steps with me (reboot, reset network settings, new sim). None of which seems to have worked. I was then referred to Samsung support who suggested a hard reset and factory data reset. When neither worked, they suggested a service center or buying a new phone and watch. Neither party acknowledges any software issue.