Question

Why am I shown in the wrong location?

• 7 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’ve spoken with T-mobile support several times about this issue and the last tec support guy said it’s due to the location of their towers but noone else around here is having the issue.

My location is in another state and it’s bothersome when my bank sends me emails asking if it was me who just accessed my account. There are others who will do the same. And when I search for something, it brings up the wrong state. Google has me in the right location. This has to be a issue with my router. I hope to get this resolved this time and if not, I will be changing servers

Additionally, my laptop says it can’t connect to gateway! What’s this?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It has to do with how it reads the wifi, I have Cox cable in the Phoenix area and always shows that I’m in Destin,CA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Its in part due to geo-tagging of the IP address.  With Spectrum (TWC), IPs are almost ‘static’ and typically geo-tagged to your residence, and are using standard IP addresses - non RFC 1918 (10.x.y.z, 192.168.x.y style).

T-Mobile effectively uses a NAT IP.  As a result, your ‘real’ ip is at a POP / aggregator.  

Run ‘ifconfig.me’ and then do a geo location lookup.  It’ll most likely be at an urban location where T-Mobile aggregates it NAT IP address to public.

Badge

Ipconfig has me in Minnesota. Why do other people in this town not have the same issue? It’s very inconvenient when I am searching for something and it gives me options in Minnesota

Badge

No one answered my last ? of why others in my area aren’t being shown out of state. I’m still shown in Minnesota and last month for a short duration, I came up as being in Miami Fl.. Please. this has me concerned. 

I’d like someone at Tmobile to answer this question also.  I live in the Des Moines area and the router is showing us in Minneapolis.  Can this be corrected?