Solved

Why can't we buy an Alcatel 9961 CellSpot and Register it here...

I have bought several Alcatel 9961 T-Mobile Signal Booster off eBay and tried to register them here Signal Booster Registration  to no avail. NO ONE can give me a legit answer why. T-Mobile provided us with a Signal registration page here Signal booster registration  and tells us if you purchased your own booster or have moved from the original, use the Signal Booster Registration Tool. So why can't we?!!?

I will not stop until I get an answer. Anyonoe?

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 17 June 2017, 00:51

So I did a bit more digging on this and found out that 4G LTE CellSpot mini-towers will not work if purchased from third party companies or websites. T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot mini-towers are pre-provisioned by us at the time of order. Devices from other sources do not have this provisioning and cannot be manually provisioned by T-Mobile and therefore will not function. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes you 😥 I would recommend reaching out to the seller of these devices and seeing if you can get a refund. If your account is eligible, we can send you out one of these devices to use that is properly provisioned. There is no charge for the device except for a one-time fully refundable $25 deposit. You would only be charged for the device if you failed to return is should you choose to cancel service.

View original

18 replies

Sorry to hear that you are having issues getting your signal booster registered! How many signal boosters do you have and what happens when you try to register your device on that site?

Also, I was looking at the URL and it looks like it is a bit different than the one I am seeing in our documents. While the page looks the same, the url is slightly different. Signal Booster Registration. ​Can you try this site instead?

I have bought and tried 3 Alcatel 9961 Boosters to no avail, and when I register at the site you linked or the one I linked (seem to be the same) it says the unit is registered. If I try to re-register, it says the unit is already registered.

That is super weird! Can you please Contact Us so that our care teams can ensure that your devices are properly registered?

I have called everyone I know at T-Mobile to No Avail.....

If there is an issue with the site not properly registering your devices, our care team can open up a ticket with the web support team. They will also be able to ensure that the registrations you are trying to submit are actually being submitted.

Opened up 3 tickets to no avail......

Getting a ticket opened is a great start! Do you happen to know the status of the tickets that were filed? Also, were our care teams able to assist you in ensuring that your registrations were actually going through?

No one has a clue why the registrations go through as completed but then do not work, they say that we can not buy our own Alcatel 9961 and register it with T-Mobile because it was bought 3rd Party

So I did a bit more digging on this and found out that 4G LTE CellSpot mini-towers will not work if purchased from third party companies or websites. T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot mini-towers are pre-provisioned by us at the time of order. Devices from other sources do not have this provisioning and cannot be manually provisioned by T-Mobile and therefore will not function. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes you 😥 I would recommend reaching out to the seller of these devices and seeing if you can get a refund. If your account is eligible, we can send you out one of these devices to use that is properly provisioned. There is no charge for the device except for a one-time fully refundable $25 deposit. You would only be charged for the device if you failed to return is should you choose to cancel service.

Question:  why would you buy devices off eBay when you can get them for free from T-Mobile?  They eBay seller probably got them for free from T-Mobile and is now looking for gullible buyers.  Doesn't eBay now have a way you can get your money back in such a situation?

SIMPLE: T-Mobile Charges you $400 if you lose it, they are $35 on eBay to own one, and I need 600 of them. I can get my money back, but they should work. There is no reason for them not to work. They are OEM T-Mobile Equipment. I am sure we just need to unlock them somehow. I will contact Alcatel and see if we can unlock them.

You need SIX HUNDRED units?    I may be dense - but wouldn't that mean your operation has hundreds of phone lines?  This is a consumer-based forum where most users have between one and six lines.  Even small to medium size businesses have their own service rep that would deal directly with any problems they may have.

What am I missing?

Yes, I have over 2000 lines with T-Mobile. Yes, I have several Service reps, they know lees than I do. I have come here thinking someone must have ordered a unit from eBay and got it to work. There is no reason from a technical perspective that this unit should not work or able to get it to work.... It will just need some tweaking I guess. T-Mobile will tell you no it won't work because they do not support 3rd party items, and I get that. Back to the drawing board.

The only other "consumer" type forum that may have a techie member who would know the answer is "howardforums.com".  They have separate sections for all Canadian and U.S. carriers.   It will be a long shot - since virtually every post i've seen on subject involves the free unit.  

I went with a tmobile prepaid plan because it was offereing a better deal and more data than postpaid plans at the time.  It's the first time I've ever had a prepaid account.  I recently moved to an area that does not have good coverage.  I attempted to get one of these for free from tmobile and they said they do not give them to prepaid customers.  I would have to go through the hastle of changing my account to a postpaid one, paying $25 extra per month, and then ordering the cellspot.  This is a reason for ordering one from ebay instead. 

I would like to know why i cannot get a cellspot if I have a prepaid plan. It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Do you want them to give to you? Or do you want to pay for it?   It would not make sense, economically, for TM to give away stuff like that to people on a low-end plan. You can probably find one cheap on ebay.

I called the store. They told me it would be $25 deposit, and I could pick one up, but the rep said I should call 611 and they would give me one free. So called and they wanted $25 deposit and $6.99 shipping, but when I said ok, he then asked if I had a prepaid plan. I said that I did at which point he told me that he was sorry but I could not get a Cellspot.

He told me it was because they didn’t have my billing address on prepaid, only they have it on a postpaid account. And he said the cellspot cannot work without my address. I didn’t understand why not.

i was not looking for it for free. I could give them a deposit like other customers do.  Or I would buy it outright from them. But they would not sell me one.

and it seems that people who bought one off of eBay cannot register it, or I would try that route.

I like my LG 450 Flip, but it does not have WiFi, and service in my house is often non existent and this seemed like it would be s good solution,