Why doesn't my lg v10 get a signal in Japan?

I have tried everything I turned roaming on, on my phone, and dialed #766# or whatever the number is to turn on roaming, I can't remember actual number, but I do know I dialed correct one because a prompt told me roaming was on. I have turned my phone off for ten seconds and restarted, I have taken the sim card out, I have searched for a network, but it says error searching for a network with or without my sim card. I have created a new apn so that the apn is lpv4 instead of 6, I created a new one because I can't edit the original. I have tried everything I have seen on the web but still no signal, I don't need to make any phone calls on it, I use wifi, but I would like to have data and text when I don't have wifi. According to everything I've checked including t-mobiles website the lg v10 should work in Japan, please help?

14 replies

OK. Calm down and catch a breath. The minimum you need to roam in Japan is UMTS-2100 (band 1) which it appears the V10 (mod #H901) has. (Hard to tell because T-Mobile does such a lousy job of presenting this information.)

Put your SIM back in the phone. Find a usable WiFi signal and use your WiFi calling to contact T-Mobile International roaming support at +1-505-998-3793.

Unless there is something wrong with the phone, you should see either SoftBank or DoCoMo listed when you do a manual network search. I don't know of any way to block bands in an LG phone like you can with a Samsung. So, I'm not sure if there's any way that your international roaming bands could be turned off.

The first thing you need to do is find the local carriers listed in your manual search. The APN, IPv4/6, #RON#, etc doesn't come into play until you have a connection. Until you see and attempt to connect to the signal, nothing else is important, so stop messing with stuff. There are no user setting I know of that can alter that.

The one setting you might want to check is that your phone is not in 2G-only network mode. No 2G in Japan. Be sure it's in auto or 3G/4G mode.

It is on auto, and the sim card is in, when I try to search for a network both manually and automatically, all I get is error unable to search for a network. I will call t-mobile, but it will be July 1st when I do because I have slow wifi until then, do I am trying to see if something can be done before then.

I don't understand the "error unable to search for network". That's not the same as, "No network found" and I don't know what that means. I don't recall ever seeing that error but I've never owned an LG phone. I've Googled this error and only come up with "put the network mode in Auto". I suspect that there is something wrong with your phone. Let me suggest that you put the network mode on 3G/HSPA (turn LTE off) and try again. (It can't hurt.) If that does not help, remember to put it back in Auto mode.Also, try turning off WiFi and Bluetooth when you do this.

These are the instructions for a manual network search on the V10 and they are just like any other Android phone. So, there's nothing mysterious about an LG: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24077#network_selection

What I suggest is that you post a question to the LG V10 subforum asking if anyone has ever seen an "unable to search" error before.

You can call the International Roaming Support number any way available. It's just free if you call from your T-Mobile phone.

P.S. Sorry but I have to ask. The phone's not in Airplane mode, is it?

Correction it says error while searching for networks. And I don't have airplane mode on. Still doesn't work, but thanks for the suggestion, I had the same problem last year when I was in Japan but I had the lg L90 then and wasn't in Japan long enough to worry about finding out why I had the problem, but this time I'll be in Japan for 4 more month's. I'll call t-mobile on Friday

Does the V10 have a removable battery? I've been reading some fixes for this but they sound like voodoo. You remove the battery and SIM and hold down the power key for 10 seconds, then try again. Have you tried setting the phone into 3G-only mode? The only other thing I could suggest is a reset-reboot but that can be dangerous. You power off and hold down the power and volume-down buttons at the same time for a full clean system reboot. This should not wipe your data and settings but I'm always leery of doing it. Volume-up and power should put you into a system recovery screen, which can be really dangerous.

Yeah I've tried to hold the power key down for 10 seconds without the battery and sim. I'll hold off on the reset, being in Japan I'm not able to go to t-mobile if something goes really wrong. I'll save that for a last resort. I have been able to access the hidden menu and therw is a actory reset in there, but it says R & D only after it, do you have any idea what that means?

Sorry but I'm fresh out of ideas. This kind of situation is why I would normally travel with a spare phone and SIM.

The only meaning I've ever known for "R & D" is "Research and Development". I don't know enough about LG phones to be sure.

Thanks for the help, I will keep that in mind my next trip. Fortunately we are purchasing cable internet dtarting next month so I don't have to worry about going over the data limit on my Mother inlaws account from tethering, hopefully t-mobile can help to. I'll stay away from the system reboot then, not quite knowing what it is.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Just checking in to see if you still need help with this. It's worth it to run this by Tech Support or T-Force team if you haven't already. They can put in a ticket for this to have engineers look at this further.

Yes I still need help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Are you able to connect to Wi-Fi and call our international number? If not, you can give our T-Force team a shot at this if you have a Twitter or Facebook account. We're at a point where we'll need to look at your account and escalate a trouble ticket. This needs to be done through Tech Support or T-Force.

No twitter or facebook account, so I will call

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey. Just checking to see if you were able to contact our Tech Support and have a ticket filed. Keep us posted. Thanks!