Question

Why is 5G so slow?

• 11 June 2021
  • 24 replies

Badge

Got a new Galaxy A32 5G phone from T-mobile recently and was surprised that with maximum bars 5G reception, I’m only seeing download speeds of 17-20Mbps.  That is only slightly better than what I was getting with 2G.  

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

“5G” covers a lot of ground; everything from thin 600 MHz only to multiple bands, including mmWave. You’re probably in a place with limited 5G capacity.

I recently purchased Samsung galaxy a51 5g.  Same issues. Very slow, sometimes I cant send or receive texts, even though it shows all the bars next to the 5g. I've contacted tmobile 4 times with no clear answer. I have several family members and friends saying the same thing (all tmobile customers) . They need to fix this issue. I have been with them for 13 years now and never had a problem until I switched to a 5g phone. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Many areas/devices may do one of the following,  which I've found to make 5g slower than 4g…

1.  Switching to n71 SA 5g.  In general,  this would be ok, but sites are less than that of 4G lte, and will be 5 to 15MHz only
  2. 5g NSA + 4g LTE  where 5g is weak.. causes overall slower than 4g LTE  alone

On my Samsung  A32, I disabled n71, and use n41 (60 to 100MHz), and performance is much better.

Best from n71… 150Mbps, typically 70Mbps. With n71 NSA maybe 400Mbps best. 

n41 isn't  heavily  used yet, and typically  drops to n71.  Removing  n71 will keep a decent  n41 which still gives better results  than a strong  n71.

Default  n71 NSA + LTE vs. N41 + LTE.  Same location

I have a brand new Galaxy S21+. Actually, I got it on the week of release. Regardless, it is a full swing phone in mint condition. I'm located in DFW as well. I say this because I saw someone comment they had no issue around my area. I wish I didn't have these issues because I live in a very short distance from that customer. I truly have never been able to play basic online games at all. I do not have over the top McAfee (which if you do, delete it when using Samsung phones. I hope this helps someone else reading these comments). And I never have junk apps running in the background, either. I also failed to mention that this is a brand new Samsung Hub router we run JUST WIFI on as well. I live in the city, BUT, not in a overly populated part of DFW. I just do not understand it. I paid so much for all this gear. Nothing I have done works. I do have vast knowledge on these things. So for me to even result to wondering about this credibility is awful. I have done EVERYTHING in the book. I invested in double Samsung routers that were linkable. I have also purchased wifi speed/range extenders. Nothing helps at all. It happens with both the data service on these phones with T-mobile... and with the Routers/other devices. With that being said, is this a service issue on Samsungs end? I currently will be returning one of my routers. Maybe with the extra money, I can purchase something else to help. Please, if anyone has answers, let us know. Thank you. 

If it is a Samsung issue on these newer phones and new gear... OPE... I might do the unthinkable and be a TRAITOR! I will upgrade my stuff the next round to a Apple iPhone. JK. I really do not care as long as these phones have decent service. I prefer 4G anyways. But, I cannot even get that right now. I'm living in 2003 with a 1.5k ish phone. My past self would be so disappointed in me. Shame. Lol!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

You can try to disable  n71… *#2263#

Select Sim1, then this menu will appear (may be slightly more bands on S21)

Tap NR selection

Then tap n71 (*) .  The * should  disappear.  

Select the 3 vertical  dots on the top right and select  Back.

Then select Apply band configuration

All done.

If you accidentally removed a few… select “Select all bands" followed  by “Apply band configuration “..  that will set everything back to default/normal

https://youtu.be/jh9FuwmYI10

This is a video of how bad 5G is on my Note20 Ultra

Got a new Galaxy A32 5G phone from T-mobile recently and was surprised that with maximum bars 5G reception, I’m only seeing download speeds of 17-20Mbps.  That is only slightly better than what I was getting with 2G.  

What???!!! I only get 3-4Mbps

I purchased a M-Razr(2020)5G.  Had a Samsung 4GVoLTE.   The Samsung 4G speed was 170mbs while the Razr 5G was (KEY, WAS) 780.

I'm in the exact same spot, few days now, speed on the 5G is 105-110 !!!

No CHANGES! The Samsung still hits 170.

NO C.S. is gonna convince me the network has not done something, or the system in throttling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Personally, I don't consider this slow for here.  Sure, it could be faster but this is pretty good in my opinion. 

Personally, I don't consider this slow for here.  Sure, it could be faster but this is pretty good in my opinion. 

Nice one! Totally an employee. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Nice one! Totally an employee. 

No.  Definitely not a T-Mobile employee.  I got better a couple of days ago not far from here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Looks like they bumped up some backhaul in my area.  Very low latency  as well.  B4 + N71

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Looks like the backhaul must have been bumped on a few sites… what was 600-700 Mbps is now 1000-1400Mbps

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

might watch what you post..if its something positive per one of the posters above that automatically makes you an employee of TMO.

Seems even the 4g speeds got slower... 5g, though bars are showing, are no different than 4g lte speeds..  false advertising...  maybe class action suite will wake them up..  Verizon 5g is REAL 5g..  

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

might watch what you post..if its something positive per one of the posters above that automatically makes you an employee of TMO.

I’ve filed enough tickets against T-Mobile to have T-Mobile attempt to get rid of me (office of executive management) more than once.  I try to post on my observations/experience and keep T-Mobile honest when they get over their skiis.  If I lived in a different area, chances are good that I’d be using a different carrier.

Badge

Has anybody verified the accuracy of T-Mobile’s latest 5G coverage maps for the area you live in?  I drove around to see if I would get  an increase in speed from 4G to 5G  to 5G ultra capacity in the dark magenta areas they show on their map. Guess what - there was absolutely no speed difference from the 30Mbps showing in the speedtest results. Very disappointing.  I wouldn’t trust anything the operators publish or say about 5G. In fact, I feel  we are all being lied to, so that we pay more for 5G phones. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Actually… I have.  Many areas where I have 5G UC (indicator shows 5G UC on Android 12 / S21), and in these areas, I do hit +300 to 1500Mbps.

That being said, their coverage maps are over exaggerated on all levels…

5G UC where there is none

5G where there is none or no service

4G LTE where there is no service

Some 5G phones are free, as T-Mobile (and others) want to sunset the older tech.

If you want to complain to T-Mobile - BBB.org, your PUC or send an email to mike.sievert@t-mobile.com

Just updated to the new android 12, and now my internet is dragging big time. 20 to 30 seconds to load a search slow. I went down to 3g and it's a little faster, but wth? Is this just the service now or is this to be fixed with an update?

The National Advertising Review Board and BBBB have asked them to stop advertising they are the most reliable 5G service: “The NARB says T-Mobile should “discontinue claims and an accompanying demonstration that imply that other carriers’ 5G coverage is so limited in any area as to cover only the space taken up by a single bench.” The board also recommended T-Mobile “discontinue claims that imply that its 5G service is generally available in locations that have traditionally been challenging for cellular service” unless it’s willing to say what speeds it can achieve in those locations. Lastly, T-Mobile can’t imply that its 5G coverage is more reliable than 4G coverage, either its own or that of competitors’ networks.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Reliability is a measurable metric. They have to put up… or shut up on it.

T-Mobile 5g is so slow that I have to disable it to use LTE instead. I am very disappointed with T-Mobile 5G.

T-Mobile 5g is so slow that I have to disable it to use LTE instead. I am very disappointed with T-Mobile 5G.

I do, too. Sadly I switched from Metro because I needed a new phone and chose to upgrade to a 5G phone because supposedly 5G is in my area. It's slower than LTE here. I was lied to and I feel that now that I'm locked into this phone payment I have no choice but to disable 5G and deal with slower than Metro 4G LTE... I'm ticked. It is certainly false advertising! I could have stayed with Metro and kept my family plan and had Amazon Prime paid for, now I'm stuck paying $35 more for 3 phone lines plus $18 extra per month for the 360 protection for my parents phones, plus Amazon Prime, and have crappier service....

The service is garbage anymore. I can’t make a phone call unless I’m on WiFi. Getting ready to go back to Verizon. It’s more expensive but at least I can make a phone call