Question

Why is 5G so slow?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Got a new Galaxy A32 5G phone from T-mobile recently and was surprised that with maximum bars 5G reception, I’m only seeing download speeds of 17-20Mbps.  That is only slightly better than what I was getting with 2G.  

47 replies

T-Mobile 5g is so slow that I have to disable it to use LTE instead. I am very disappointed with T-Mobile 5G.

Agree 100%. Ready to switch back to Verizon. I have S20 FE 5G. Many times I cannot even make a phone call. Is that T-Mobile or my Phone?

17-20 Mbs! 

I see a paltry 2 (two!) Mbs with 5G here. It's an absolute joke. :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A couple. of days ago while sitting at Chick-fil-A.  

Not the best I have seen because I have seen more than double that in some places, but that seems to be about average for where I am.  

Personally, I don't consider this slow for here.  Sure, it could be faster but this is pretty good in my opinion. 

33 mbps upload speed for a 5G connection is ridiculously slow.  Why Tmobile does not understand that we are in 2022 and not in 2002.  5G is capable of much more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In a couple of places around here.  Almost 600Mbps down and just over 120Mbps up is decent.  This is from a few months ago but that area is fairly consistent.  I haven't had any reason to screenshot speed tests over there in a while but I will the next time I am in that area. 

I have an iPhone 12 and around the Sarasota Bradenton Florida area sucks!!!! I am constantly switching it back and forth because the speed is so slow I don't know which one is faster. 8/10 times LTE is faster. Great 5G bars and nothing changes. 5G UC still slow. I have called several times and gave GPS coordinates and download speeds to help out the technicians. The answer? "Don't know but we are working on it. It's also possible that there are too many people on the tower." 2-5 MBps!!!! Isn't that 2g speeds? In Indiana I had the fastest download speed of 622MBps. Shouldn't they expect the traffic and adjust? Recently they are reminding me of the reasons why I switched from Sprint!!!!!!! Also, if they are trying too break into the homes internet business, they need too be reliable 100% and have constant reliable download speeds or else you are paying more than the competition for DIALUP SPEEDS. AOL You've got mail! 

I have an iPhone 12 and around the Sarasota Bradenton Florida area sucks!!!! I am constantly switching it back and forth because the speed is so slow I don't know which one is faster. 8/10 times LTE is faster. Great 5G bars and nothing changes. 5G UC still slow. I have called several times and gave GPS coordinates and download speeds to help out the technicians. The answer? "Don't know but we are working on it. It's also possible that there are too many people on the tower." 2-5 MBps!!!! Isn't that 2g speeds? In Indiana I had the fastest download speed of 622MBps. Shouldn't they expect the traffic and adjust? Recently they are reminding me of the reasons why I switched from Sprint!!!!!!! Also, if they are trying too break into the homes internet business, they need too be reliable 100% and have constant reliable download speeds or else you are paying more than the competition for DIALUP SPEEDS. AOL You've got mail! 

What phone are you using? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

5g n41 + B2 + B66

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

5g n71 + B2 + B66… not so good

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

LTE B2 + B66 (more than 2x faster than with n71!)

****************SOLUTION TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE************

Took forever and finally these T-Mobile guys got it when they sent it to the top with an an American FULL English speaking manager in the US.   

Here’s the answer as stupid and easy as it is…

IF YOU HAVE AN OLD 4G or lower network card that you inserted… 5G won’t activate correctly.  Tell them to send you a NEW 5G network card… Set it up just like your old card and you’re lightning fast compared to what you used to have.  

That’s it!!! Only took me 4 hours and 5-6 different reps to speak to… to understand the simple fix.  They over-night shipped one for me and my wife’s new phones for free. 

Took forever and finally these T-Mobile guys got it when they sent it to the top with an an American FULL English speaking manager in the US.   

IF YOU HAVE AN OLD 4G or lower network card that you inserted… 5G won’t activate correctly.  Tell them to send you a NEW 5G network card… Set it up just like your old card and you’re lightning fast compared to what you used to have.  

That’s it!!! Only took me 4 hours and 5-6 different reps to speak to… to understand the simple fix.  They over-night shipped one for me and my wife’s new phones for free. 

This wouldn't apply to those of us using esims and still only getting 20-40mbs down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This wouldn't apply to those of us using esims and still only getting 20-40mbs down.

correct..for those that already have a 5G sim in or an esim odds are its the network around you..either its still needing upgrades or might even be in process of getting said upgrades..

as for my area it does what i need it to do..by far nothing worth bragging about lol

81mbps down

24.9mbps up

ping-30ms

jitter-8ms

packet loss-0

correct..for those that already have a 5G sim in or an esim odds are its the network around you..either its still needing upgrades or might even be in process of getting said upgrades..

as for my area it does what i need it to do..by far nothing worth bragging about lol

81mbps down

24.9mbps up

ping-30ms

jitter-8ms

packet loss-0

What confuses me is I was sitting next to my brother in law, both with the same phone (note 20 ultra) same carrier, he was able to get 300 down, and I was only pulling 20? No idea why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

both phones purchased from TMO, direct from Samsung or brought in from another carrier?

both phones purchased from TMO, direct from Samsung or brought in from another carrier?

Both were purchased directly from TMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

zero idea on that one..i would be interested to see which band you were connecting to compared to him. does it seem to improve speeds wise during the beginning of the billing cycle compared to later down the road towards the end of it? or its just that way all the time? could also be a sim card issue..try updating your network profile through the phone to see if things improve or stay the same.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Just as a note… performance will vary both from site to site (issues due to backhaul, what is deployed and site capacity vs. usage).  5G n71 in one area may also have different spectrum allocation.

In addition, not all devices have the same capabilities.  Most newer devices support carrier aggregation as well as 4x4MIMO on mid band (eg 1900MHz or higher) but not lower bands such as 850MHz (cellular) or 600-700MHz bands, which cause performance issues.

Here’s a basic example of various carrier aggregation on a Samsung S21.  Note:  5G n71 NSA / 5G n71 SA is worse than LTE alone.

For reference:

B2 = 15x15 MHz FDD

B4/66 = 20x20 MHz FDD

B12 = 5x5 MHz FDD

B41 = 2xCA 20MHz TDD

B71 = 10x10 MHz FDD

n41 = 100MHz TDD

n71 = 15x15 FDD

On a very, VERY good day, 5GUC might reach a 1mb download speed. Mostly it’s in the 200k range. 5G on T-Mobile is pretty much like not having internet at all. I’m in the Los Angeles area, second largest city in the nation. My phone (S21+) always shows perfect signal. But speeds are dial up modem level.

I have the Galaxy S20 + 5G. I live in NYC but travel frequently to Minneapolis and San Francisco. 5G everywhere totally useless. Have not had 5G turned on ever. It's a waste of money. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

On a very, VERY good day, 5GUC might reach a 1mb download speed. Mostly it’s in the 200k range. 5G on T-Mobile is pretty much like not having internet at all. I’m in the Los Angeles area, second largest city in the nation. My phone (S21+) always shows perfect signal. But speeds are dial up modem level.

Since you’re running a Samsung S21 series, AND you’re in Los Angeles, i’d recommend disabling N71 NSA.  It WILL cause poor performance in urban areas.  I’m in the Los Angeles area as well, and I know that in the San Fernando Valley area, performance is hit or miss… I.e. +1Gbps or ~1Mbps.

Disabling n71 NSA will allow your device to ‘more often’ catch n41 (note:  n41 ~100MHz is MUCH faster than n71 15MHz, also, n71 will drag the performance down of LTE in general (see above).

If you see above… N71, N71 + LTE is worse than LTE alone in urban/suburban LA area.  ~115Mbps vs. +200.   N41, however, 500Mbps is typical, +1Gbps is common, and +1600Mbps is near the site.

Eg.  At home, ‘indoors’, I have NO n41 service.  LTE speeds ~100-200Mbps.  Go outdoors, and pick up a very weak n41 from a +1 mile away, and speeds go past 300Mbps.

Just as a caveat today:  In a local area, T-Mobile has been converting a Sprint tower.  I have roamed on it quite often, and in that area, Service went from 5 bars, +200Mbps to 2 bars, 5G UC and 2Mbps down, 0.1 Mbps up.  Of course, T-Mobile being a large company, the left hand knows not of the right hand, claiming there’s no issues or upgrades going on.  The offshore tech support have even less understanding, as they are forced into script.

Don’t be surprised if upgrades are occurring and causing mass disruptions.

I have a Motorola Ace.  I've often wondered if the phone has a problem.  It's intermittent as far as consistency of 5G speed is concerned.  I've run into situations enough times where I set my phone to LTE or less, and it was actually faster than 5G.

It's June 23rd 2022, I just ran a test within 30 seconds of each other for 5G versus LTE.  I have 5G turned on right now and it took 15 seconds for the photo to upload.  The second photo took 20 seconds to upload.

5G @ 4.2 Mbps.  LTE @ 20 Mbps.  This is with no load, I'm not running video on my phone, sorry.

But my disclaimer is on other days I've had 50 to 70 Mbps.  Maybe today's measure is because of the weather being hot, it's impossible to say.  You really have to have some kind of a monitor 24x7 doing testing intervals for speed.