Why is my tethering speed so slow?

Show first post

54 replies

I think what makes it particularly difficult is, there is no set standard for what the terms "3G", "High-Speed", etc., mean.  I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that "unlimited 3G mobile hotspot" is (unfortunately) really slow.  I'm hoping that the competition of the other big 2 will force them to upgrade that in the coming year.

Either way, I hope that your long ordeal reaches some kind of successful resolution, and soon!

timmyb wrote:

Either way, I hope that your long ordeal reaches some kind of successful resolution, and soon!

Thank you! Here's a sad story. I went into a local T-Mobile store recently to speak to someone in person about this issue. Based on advice from T-Force, I had the store employee use a phone from the store for testing to rule out the problem being caused by my phone. (As a side note, it did not matter that I had already experienced the same problem with multiple phones including LG, SGS8, SGS8+ and others -- the T-Force people tend not to listen when I explain all the troubleshooting steps I have already done.)

Now, at the store, the employee went into the back and came out with an LG-V30. I had my Samsung Galaxy S8 with me. We did multiple speed tests of USB tethering with their V-30 and my S8 right there in the store. The results were the same as what I have written here. Both phones showed really good speeds when not tethered. Both phones slowed to a crawl (i.e., 0.2 Mbps up and down speeds) when tethered. I took pictures of the store employee, their phone and the speed test results to prove to T-Force that this problem is not limited to something being wrong with my phone. Whatever is causing this has nothing to do with my lines or my phones or anything else related specifically to me.

I would LOVE to hear what they have to say now, given this new evidence.

I also have been experiencing a baffling issue with tethering speeds for months now. Being on the unlimited ONE plan, with regular download speeds of 50mbps or more, I get a maximum of about 0.6mbps up and down when tethering. My roommate on my same plan as me with the same phone and options gets 60mbps down and 30mbps or better on tethered devices in the same exact locations around the house and area. My local store even swapped SIM cards for me and did a warranty exchange on my phone, as they were confounded as well, and the issue still persists. I also have run multiple tests after doing a factory reset on both my old and new phones, which is incredibly inconvenient, just to rule out software/app interference.

The only thing I can possibly think of at this point is there must be something screwed up with my plan configuration. Is there anyone at T-Mobile who can solve this? I don't know what else to do at this point on my end - I've tried literally everything.

davidraines wrote:

I also have been experiencing a baffling issue with tethering speeds for months now. Being on the unlimited ONE plan, with regular download speeds of 50mbps or more, I get a maximum of about 0.6mbps up and down when tethering. My roommate on my same plan as me with the same phone and options gets 60mbps down and 30mbps or better on tethered devices in the same exact locations around the house and area. My local store even swapped SIM cards for me and did a warranty exchange on my phone, as they were confounded as well, and the issue still persists. I also have run multiple tests after doing a factory reset on both my old and new phones, which is incredibly inconvenient, just to rule out software/app interference.

The only thing I can possibly think of at this point is there must be something screwed up with my plan configuration. Is there anyone at T-Mobile who can solve this? I don't know what else to do at this point on my end - I've tried literally everything.

Please keep us updated. I would love to know what you find out. I still do not have a solution.

I had the same issue of POOR tethering speeds right from the git-go...I've been a T-Mobile customer for 6 years. T-mobile throttles back the unlimited ONE plan and really is NOT unlimited.  They have lied to us.  It is definitely NOT unlimited.  They finally told me the 4G speeds have caps for tethering. The initial ONE plan ($15/month extra then unlimited regular data/phone/text is currently a 20 GB cap.  They also offer a International ONE upgrade to that ($25/month extra), but that is only good to 50 GB.  Once those levels are reached the tethering is immediately throttled back. You then have to wait until your next billing cycle.  It took me 3 weeks and about 6 to 7 phone calls to finally find someone that had answers. I feel like it's false advertising or pretty dang close to that.

I am having this same issue. I have the best plan option available and yet when I tether I get .35 mb per second. Has anyone come up with at least a work around instead of expecting t-mobile to do something because it seems obvious they don't want to fix it. they clearly just don't care.

I still do not have a solution.

I'm new to T-Mobile and im going through the same trouble with slowtethering speeds. I have the One plan but it seems that the speed is way below normal. I'm trying to download an app of 5gb amd the download time is over 25 hours! I don't know if upgrading to One Plus will make a difference.

I recently changed to the 55+ plan.

I have an iPhone x, and my LTE download speed on the phone is 155mbs.

I just tested my tethering speed connected to my MacBook, and the download speed is 482Kbs. What happened? They used to be roughly the same.

Am I being throttled for being old?

@phamos1 I'd be very interested to try your solution. I've sent the follow request. Thanks.

Another annoyed and upset user here with crappy tethering speeds.  I am paying for the tethering option on one of my lines.   But  I have been throttled I get full 3g outside of throttling but when I run from the computer 1mbps download and 0.38mpbs upload.   Several support calls and tickets later NO HELP AT ALL!!!!  I get the same questions, give the same answers and just get more annoyed with the fact that this company cannot get tethering to work.    What I need is very simple.

1.  Someone KNOWLEDGEABLE about computers and tethering

2.  Can actually fix the problem

3. Someone who is there when I call not hours later.

Look I'm willing to pay but if the service is not there it's time to cancel.  I have explained that to reps and still get nothing.

Customer service is not fixing my problem

I've noticed the same issue since March of this year when I fist got my t-mobile sim. It's a business plan so it's supposed to be unlimited . I'm glad this has been covered extensively on this thread.

I see a post suggesting APN but has anyone had luck with it ?

On this page: Internet Services | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services

About half way down the page, under

Speed and Latency

The T‑Mobile ONE and T‑Mobile Essentials plans include tethering at a maximum of 600 kbps. Customers on these plans may choose to activate an add-on feature for a set amount of  tethering data at up to 4G.

After learning this, I opted to add the 4G tethering to my plan. $15 a month for 20GB HotSpot data. I now get 20 Mbps, or better.

Even with the additional $15 a month, I'm still paying $90 a month less than I did with AT&T, so 😊 .

This is the saddest thing I've ever read. I've been a metro pics customer for almost 4 years and have loved them and the hotspot plans they offer. But now that tmobile has a controlling interest in them I am worried that will change. After reading about all of your experiences at the first sign of trouble I will be ditching metro

It appears TM doesn't want it's customers tethering and using a lot of bandwidth so they act like there is no solution. We can fix this problem. We should all boycot tmobile and leave until they change their methods and stop giving us the runaround with useless troubleshooting and wasting our time.

They are obviously sandbagging because they dont want us to use it. Im on the lookout for another solution. Tmobile has been good for me for years but now they arent giving me what I pay for.

I still don't have a solution to this issue or any other support issue I have opened with T-Mobile. My phone bill is over $200/mo and I can't even use tethering, DIGITS doesn't work properly and support won't ever follow up with me like they promise.

This issue is still a problem for me, T-Mobile. One of the trouble shooting steps I did about six months ago when I was in a T-Mobile store seeking help on this issue was to purchase a tablet and a new line of service. The specific reason for purchasing the tablet and line of service was for tethering. As a trouble-shooting step, this would allow us rule out the possibility that the tethering issues I have been facing were related to my devices. So I bought a new device with a new line of service.

I have been trying to get adequate tethering speeds on that new device since I purchased it six months ago. No such luck. My tethering speeds remain about 0.3 Mbps download and 0.1 Mbps upload on average. So today I canceled that line of service. I still have nine other lines with T-Mobile, but if you don't offer me a workable tethering solution, I will take all 9 of those lines to another carrier.

My tethering speed is around .3mps/.5mps while speed test on my phone is 2mps/10mps . I just read through this entire post. It's july 2019 and still nothing has been done about this.

AT&T was giving me tethering speeds about the same as my phone. Wish I had known this before I switched. This is just useless even for the most simple tasks.

I noticed that this thread is still active so I figured I'd let people know what I've learned. Thanks to an above post the terms of internet services from t-mobile are made clear here: Internet Services | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services. It's actually worth a read. As a customer with the Essentials package, the following excerpt was relevant to me:

"Some plans may, however, also include maximum speeds for some services. The Magenta plan includes a set amount of tethering at up to 4G LTE speeds, and then continues at a maximum of 600kbps. The T-Mobile Essentials plan includes tethering at a maximum of 600 kbps. Customers may choose to activate an add-on feature for a set amount of tethering data at up to 4G LTE speeds. Wearables plans provide a maximum of 600 kbps. See your plan for details."

as well as:

"Some high-speed smartphone data plans include a data allotment for Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering); after that allotment is used, tethering is slowed to up to 2G speeds (128 kbps) for the rest of the billing cycle. The Magenta plan includes a set amount of tethering at up to 4G LTE speeds, and then continues at up to 3G speeds (600kbps). The T‑Mobile Essentials plan includes tethering at up to 3G speeds (600 kbps). Customers may choose to activate an add-on feature for a set amount of tethering at up to 4G LTE speeds."

Also from their Terms and Conditions:

"We prioritize smartphone and mobile internet (tablet) over Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) traffic on our network"

and

"Further, to provide the best possible on-device experience for the most possible customers on T-Mobile branded plans and minimize capacity issues and degradation in network performance, we may, without advance notice, take any actions necessary to manage our network on a content-agnostic basis, including prioritizing all on-device data over Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) data..."

Unfortunately t-mobile is using a misleading loophole by advertising "unlimited 3G hotspot data" for hotspot/tethering on my Essentials plan, while the term "3G" has no official/standard quantified speed. They further cover themselves legally with the vague excerpts from Terms and Conditions above.

It should now be clear that this problem is not device / software / coverage related. While some folks have found success with 3rd party apps on their phones that hide their tethering/hotspot usage, this is prohibited in the Terms and Conditions when these apps:

"Results in unusually high usage (specifically, more 50GB (updated periodically) in a month) and the majority of your data usage being Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) usage for any 3 billing cycles within any 6-month period;"

So, as long as one would not violate these terms using a 3rd party app (I would), one can feel honest as a customer.

As a heavy data user, I have replaced a home broadband connection through a usual ISP with t-mobile's mobile data. This is not explicitly prohibited in the T&C, but is commented on in the Internet Services link:

"T‑Mobile mobile service is designed to be used primarily on smartphones and tablets. T‑Mobile mobile hotspot features are intended for personal mobile connectivity, not intended to be a complete broadband replacement for multiple users over an extended period of time. If you are a Heavy Data User and use a device as a mobile hotspot for the majority of your use over an extended period of time, we may contact you to discuss your plan and your options."

For me, it's important to remember I am not using this service as it was intended and while t-mobile has been somewhat misleading, in my opinion, they seem generally of the honest position that they simply want to provide equal and fair use to all customers. I can respect that. As a result of this research, I actually purchased the additional 10$ add-on for mobile hotspot high speed, even though I don't really need it, and will trust that when my data are throttled it's because the network is congested and I'm an unusual customer to begin with.

What I would hope t-mobile offers in the future is some sort of compromise. I don't need excessively high (and often impressive) speeds for my day-to-day tethering needs, but I also can't tolerate the crippling 600 kbps maximum when I'm throttled. I'd pay the same price ($80 / month) for a plan that's consistently 10 or even 5 mbps regardless of on-device or via tethering.

I have the same problem with less than 1Mbps tethering speeds.  I only need to tether to my PC for a few hours once every month when my cable internet service provider shuts down my service for line maintenance around my service area.  But to be fair to T-Mobile, I am paying for "up to 150 Mbps" bandwidth on Cox Communications and I rarely get above 100 Mbps bandwidth using a cable Ethernet connection.  Cox won't do anything about it, so I don't expect much to be done about it here either.

Hello Phantoms1 I just read through this entire thread. I have the 15 dollar 20g hotspot data plan and I still I am also getting the not even 1 mbps insanely slow hot spot speeds which i am Paying for. I clicked on your name to send you pm to ask you what was it that you did here to increase the speeds bu 27 mbps. You never posted the solution you just told original p that you were going to try something out and put on the screen shots of the speed test. Please can you pm me the fix you found.

Thank you.

After troubleshooting for almost 1 year on 4 phones (iphones & LG), multiple calls, multiple tickets with senior techs, and network engineering team too, no one told me that speed would be 0.5 mpbs on ONE plan.  In todays call with advance tech and i said its time to say good bye due to issue not being resolved for a long time. she then said you'll get 500 kbps (0.5 mb) speed on your plan ONE, but if you change plan to ONE Plus (extra $10 each line) it'll give you 4g speed. and she offered me 1 month free trial right away. i'm going to try 1 month and will shop around meantime.

I have a Samsung Express 3 Phone  when I test this phone tonight with it hotspot per WiFi to my home computer on speedtest.net I get around ping 36ms, download 18.39 Mbps-upload 0.48 Mbps.

I just purchase a like new condition Samsung S7  this week and I hotspot per WiFi to my computer I get ping 45ms, download 0.09Mbps-upload 9.69Mbps tonight as I have both phones.

Found this support forum though Google searching to find out why the Samsung S7 T-mobile phone SM G930T phone is so slow compared to the Samsung Express 3 per speeds above. No luck so far. when I get time I will go to my T mobile store with both phones and see if they can help with this problem and or if they will call tech support from their store, will report back if they fix the problem or can why this is happening.

Hotspot WiFi to my desktop tested at speedtest.net both phones tested tonight back to back.

Samsung Express 3

Download speed 18.39 Mpbs

Upload speed 9.69

Ping 36

Samsung S7 T Mobile Phone SM  G930T

Download speed 0.09 Mbps Mbps

Up[load speed 0.48 Mbps

ping 45ms