Why is T-Mobile service slow?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I switched to T-Mobile 2 years ago and it was great. I broke off from my family’s verizon plan to start my own. The coverage was about the same then so I saw no difference in speeds or pockets of dropped signal. But recently, the past few months have been absolutely infuriating and frustrating with the connection being so slow that my google maps loses connection. I live by a MAJOR city so I would expect to at least have some speed but no. I cannot load webpages, I cannot make phone calls for work, and I can’t even use my phone to pay bills. Why is their connection so slow recently? I’ve spoken to many “technicians” and they all say the same thing and offer the same advice but nothing has changed. Is anyone else experiencing just general slowness?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I’ve been trying to use my 5G since midnight. It’s now 4:15 and useless. I tried to do speed test but it even times out. I still have Spectrum wifi or I couldn’t even use this system.

If it ain’t fixed, I will have to drop tMobile 5G.

I think they need to have a working system before they start selling it. 

I’ll give it another day or 2. but then I’ll drop it. I can say I will never recommend tMobile 5g to anyone...

5G is decently deployed across the U.S..might help to know a few things...like where are you? what phone? is it a TMO phone or one you brought with you from another carrier or that you purchased from elsewhere?

for shats and giggles i did a speed test in my shop within a warehouse surrounded by signal killing fun stuff with a tower about a half mile away and pulled in a 413Mbps down and a 25Mbps up..of 5G

Badge

Today the tMobile service was soooo ssslllooowww that I had to switch to my other service just to write this messige. I can’t even get speedtest to run so I have no idea how slow it is - probably 0.

If a company is going to come out with a product, the should make sure it works first. How can the sell something that simply does not work?

I have it on this PC and running on a TV. The TV hasn’t shown anything for at least an hour. There goes the Football game..

I am getting anywhere fron 2Mbps to 70Mbps depending upon the time of day.   T mobile blames the speed on my antenna location but that does not explain the 35:1 speed difference.  They have oversubscribed the network and they recently increased the price as well.   Woe to new subscribers!

I am experiencing the same issues with T-Mobile. It has been absolutely abysmal. For any decent connectivity I have to rely on WiFi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Depends on a few factors…

1.  Capacity and upgrades - not all sites have been ‘upgraded’ to 5G UC.  Many on just 5G will actually perform better on just 4G LTE.  Eg.  Today at an ideal spot, 4G LTE only… 400Mbps.  5G (no UC), 100Mbps.  At home, similar  - 4G LTE ~100-200Mbps, 5G ~ 10-100Mbps (100Mbps is when 5G fails).
  2.  Many Sprint customers coming over as their sites are decommed
  3. Location - location - location.2 blocks from UC, with +500Mbps gives me ~5Mbps.

I’d recommend attempting to disable 5G.  Note: I have similar issues with AT&T, where 4G LTE outperforms  5G + LTE

same issue.I use wifi as well

Same issue here as well. I do not have 5G on my phone but my wife does on hers. Since the sprint merger my 4G and her 5G have tanked. I see a full seven seconds of ping time (not a typo, 691ms of ping time and 107ms of jitter) before I get a response from the T mobile network on my device and 5 seconds (486ms of ping time and 100ms of jitter) on hers which is simply unacceptable. I’m not sure how the guy above me is hitting 100Mbps because I’m barely getting 23Mbps in the middle of cities with 5g and 4g.  If the Tmobile network is going to take 8 seconds to even start loading I’m going to see what I can get from that new smoke signal tech the caveman are developing.

What gives?  My internet service was fine until two months ago. Now it’s lagging, videos freeze, and pages load slowly. I thought it was a hickup so I waited. It has gotten worse. If I use a gaming machine on this line, it loads slower than it did before. I’ve been with T-Mobile since 2001. I would hate to have to leave. Something’s wrong, I know it.

We have 4g and it is taking 20 - 40 seconds for phone calls to start ringing!  And then half the time it goes right to voice mail.  What gives?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

We have 4g and it is taking 20 - 40 seconds for phone calls to start ringing!  And then half the time it goes right to voice mail.  What gives?

what phone do you have? is your phone 5G capable or 5G capable? does it have VoLTE capabilities?

Badge

I’ve been trying to use my 5G since midnight. It’s now 4:15 and useless. I tried to do speed test but it even times out. I still have Spectrum wifi or I couldn’t even use this system.

If it ain’t fixed, I will have to drop tMobile 5G.

I think they need to have a working system before they start selling it. 

I’ll give it another day or 2. but then I’ll drop it. I can say I will never recommend tMobile 5g to anyone...

Abysmal speed.  I’ve had T Mobile internet for about 2 years and it’s ridiculously unpredictable.  When I first set it up I was getting download speeds anywhere from 45 to, on occasions, over 100.  Yesterday It was in the 60s, which is unusually high these days, and 5 minutes ago it was less than 5 !!  Not what I signed up and have been paying for.  All I can say is that it beats DSL.  I’ve called them many times and it’s almost always the same “Were working on the tower”.  I think as soon as someone comes around with more consistent speeds I will drop T-Mobile.  I wish it were different.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Time of day deprioritization.   Also, check your device advanced metrics tab.  70Mbps as best, is pretty poor.  You may want to request the newer Arcadyan device with external antenna

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Tbh, even if i get my device to ‘excellent ‘ from good, download won't change much.  Time of day is the key.  Upload will increase from 25Mbps to around 80, while time of day can go from morning 450 to evening 350 to middle or the night over 500, while still having ‘good’ for service.