Solved

Why No TM-AC1900 Firmware Updates

• 5 February 2015
  • 54 replies

Hello,

There haven't been any Asus firmware updates to this router, if you go to the Asus website there are still none listed.  But if you look up the RT-AC68U which this router is based off of there are a lot of recent updates.

Concerning?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by bst82551 31 March 2015, 04:46

There's a new update out. I don't see any new features, but maybe they fixed some of the wifi calling issues and addressed some of the security concerns.

The update must be done manually. I left instructions on how to do that about 10 posts into this thread:

Thread-87613

Mod edit: You can get the firmware patch notes here: Cellspot router firmware update information 😊

View original

54 replies

yes no maybe?

Userlevel 6

You bump the thread, you delay an answer from T-Mobile (their T-Force group).  They answer threads oldest first.

As for the answer they'll give, T-Mobile will not announce firmware updates for any device (like phone software updates, and I'll now include router firmware) until the update is available to the public.

Thanks.  I am thinking of going through the flashing procedure on the TM-AC1900 and basically turning it into a stock Asus RT-AC68U.  I don't like the idea that TM is doing keeping this device current.

Userlevel 6

If you flash a non-T-Mobile firmware on it, T-Mobile may charge you for the device.

Remember, it's not yours (unless you paid the $100 for it, or whatever the retail price is).  It's T-Mobile's.  They're just letting you borrow it.

I paid the $100.  I already had the cel-fi booster and was not eligible for the free router.  Even at $100 it was still a great deal, the 68U still goes for around $200.

Userlevel 6

In that case, do what you will! 😊

If I hadn't bought a new Linksys router like a month before this program came about, I probably would have bought this one, simply due to the price compared to it's equivalents (as you did).  I don't have a WiFi Capable device currently (well, I do, it's just my backup device), so I would have used it for it's performance capabilities.

I have a wifi calling device, an iPhone 6, but don't use wifi calling anymore.  Even using the TM-AC1900 router and a 20MBdown/2MBup internet connection I found wifi calling buggy.  I have it disabled now on the iPhone 6, so I am not taking advantage of any wifi calling features build into the TM-AC1900 firmware.  Why I am considering flashing it to an Asus 68U, which is getting updates.

Userlevel 6

That's not even broadband anymore! 😊   (the FCC or someone is redefining broadband as at least 25/5, if I have my numbers right)

I get an ok enough signal at home [most of the time, although for some reason I've been shifting to H a lot recently] that calls are fine.  I don't even swap to WiFi while I'm home.

But, yeah, the router itself is awesome.  And, if flashing it to the original is easy, hopefully flashing it back to T-Mobile is just as easy if updates come out and you want to go back to the WiFi Calling setup.

True, not smoking fast, but certainly fast enough for wifi calling

Does anyone have any word on when Tmobile will pass an update?

I keep having my wifi signal drop when I have devices running on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz spectrum's. A problem hat has been fixed by ASUS in a firmware update about 2-3 months ago.

Good question.  I ended up dumping the Tmobile firmware, the router is now a straight RT-AC68U.  Glad I did too, there are a lot more features in the Asus firmware than the stripped down TM version.

There's also a DD-WRT implementation. My issue is that I don't know what T-Mobile may believe I agreed to. I just called them and asked for one and they sent it to me. I didn't pay, sign for or verbally agree to anything. For now, I'm treating it as if it were a loaner.

Not sure what the deal is there drnewcomb2.  I know for me, I paid $100 for the router because I already had the cel-fi booster.  Once device per account.  I KNOW they want the cel-fi booster back but I am not positive about the routers that they sent out for free or next to free.

I'd flash it anyway but that's just me.

So you just used the firmware provided by Asus on their website right for the ac68u?

Yes, but you can not directly flash the TM-AC1900 with the stock Asus RT-AC68U firmware.  There is a process you have to go though and it is not for the faint of heart.

Hello!

Looks like this post has been answered! You can continue to post, and other community users may respond, but if you would like assistance from T-Mobile or T-Force please create a new discussion.

Thank you!

Alissa

It has not been answered. Tmobile has not provided a timeframe for when the firmware will be updated to address issues that ASUS has already fixed and current Tmobile users are experiencing.

The other user on here only provided an alternative, and one that may void the warranty of the item if it ever needed to be returned to Tmobile.

Userlevel 6

As I stated, T-Mobile does not provide time frames of updates.

They only tell people about updates after they've been released.

Maybe T-Mobile should be aware that if they don't provide updates within a reasonable time frame, the users will feel morally justified to provide their own updates.

Consider the bull taken by the horns lol...I am good, running a true RT-AC68U!!!

Userlevel 6

drnewcomb2 wrote:

Maybe T-Mobile should be aware that if they don't provide updates within a reasonable time frame, the users will feel morally justified to provide their own updates.

No argument there.

I just wish we had some insight as to the priority rules they baked into the device so the folks who are "feeling morally justified" can add the rules to their router.

With all of the security breeches occurring and threat issues, the firmware update policy of T-Mobile is not suitable for the corporate world nor for end users.  Our company will have to toss this router and get one that is kept up to date.  Vulnerabilities that have been patched in the RT-AC68U but maybe not in this router include (per the 68U support site):

-password disclosure in source code when adminstrator logged in

-potencial buffer overflow issues. 

--lighthttpd vulnerability.
-cross-site scripting vulnerability (CWE-79).
- authentication bypass (CWW-592).

- CVE-201301813
- XSS vulnerability on page Main_Analysis_Content.asp

This should scare the bejeebers out of any system administrator.  I would hope that T-Mobile will get more corporate friendly and be sensitive to the business community.

I couldn't agree more.  I bailed and turned mine into a full functioning RT-AC68U.

There's a new update out. I don't see any new features, but maybe they fixed some of the wifi calling issues and addressed some of the security concerns.

The update must be done manually. I left instructions on how to do that about 10 posts into this thread:

Thread-87613

Mod edit: You can get the firmware patch notes here: Cellspot router firmware update information 😊

how do I do that?