Solved

Wifi Calling App for Non-branded T-Mobile Devices (BYOD)

• 29 October 2014
  • 14 replies

My wife and I just switched to T-Mobile last month. So far there has been a few areas where we just do not have any signal and we are questioning our decision to go with T-Mobile. Anyway, I began researching this and discovered T-Mobile has the wifi calling application. Our problem is we joined T-Mobile with the  BYOD (Samsung S5 & Nokia Lumia 820) option. We really do not want to have to purchase T-Mobile branded devices. Is it possible to download the wifi calling application since I am a T-Mobile customer? If so where can I get the application? 

Thanks in advance,

Micky

icon

Best answer by stevetjr 29 October 2014, 01:27

Unfortunately no, it is not an app but has to be integrated into the OS so that is why it is only on T-Mobile branded phones with the exception of the iPhone since Apple integrated it into the OS on all of their devices but it only currently works on T-Mobile and maybe Sprint since they have started launching wifi calling on limited devices and with a lot more restrictions than T-Mobile.

View original

14 replies

Unfortunately no, it is not an app but has to be integrated into the OS so that is why it is only on T-Mobile branded phones with the exception of the iPhone since Apple integrated it into the OS on all of their devices but it only currently works on T-Mobile and maybe Sprint since they have started launching wifi calling on limited devices and with a lot more restrictions than T-Mobile.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information. Do you know if it's possible to replace the OS with a T-Mobile version for the Galaxy S5?

Thanks

Again unfortunately no

this 'uncarrier' campaign of T-Mobile is useless when customers like me (who have non t-mobile branded smartphones like OPPO or nexus5)  are forced to buy t-mobile branded smartphones. T-mobile should seriously consider working on Android and come up with a wifi calling app, even if it requires kernel level changes.

If it requires kernel changes it still wouldn't work on those devices.

They can't change the kernel.

T-Mobile has "open sourced" the technology so any OS is free to install it or use it.  It has access to the SIM which in-turn a persons account and that is why it is "kernel level access" and has to be part of the OS.  Apple finally gave in and added it to the OS even for carriers that don't yet support it. 

Rumor has it that like Apple, Android may put the feature in Lollipop and at least one Nexus device is slated to get the feature in 2015 since T-Mobile put the gauntlet down that they would only sell phones that support it.  That along with AT&T and Verizon both announcing they will start supporting Wi-Fi calling sometime in 2015 I suspect Android will just bake it in at somepoint and if a carrier doesn't currently support it you won't be able to enable the feature.  

Thx for the information. Wasn't aware of this

Yeah the IMS solution is getting to be the standard seemingly

Great question @msmith704‌ 😊 @stevetjr is correct, WiFi calling is only supported on T-Mobile branded phones and select iPhones. We apologize for the inconvenience. You may benefit from one of our new Signal Boosters: 4G LTE Signal Booster setup. Do you have have at  least one bar of T-Mobile 3G, 4G or LTE signal?

FYI, I have SIM cards for various different countries - including T-Mobile in the US, O2 in the UK, b-Mobile in Trinidad & Tobago, etc.

O2 has an app (anyone can download I believe) that allows me to pick up and make calls worldwide (via wifi) when I don't have my O2 SIM card in my phone.  So I can receive and make calls as if I were physically in the UK, but while I am in the US or Trinidad using my T-Mobile or b-Mobile SIM cards.  This works so well that I assume that T-Mobile (being another European carrier) would have a similar app.  Sadly it seems that that is not the case.

Have there been any further developments here?

Nope

Need to wait until Google starts building it into the operating system.

Just so everyone knows non-branded T-Mobile devices can now use Wi-Fi Calling.  I have a Nexus 5x and it is built into android. Once your phone recognizes that you're on T-Mobile's network, you can access Wi-Fi calling under  the settings menu.

Only the nexus devices are like that or pure android. Other carrier phones and non nexus types do not have that option built in.