Question

WiFi Calling Not Working

• 18 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I do not get a signal from the cell tower - not with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.  I am currently using both Verizon and T-Mobile, and I MUST set airplane mode with both carriers to stop them from placing or receiving calls through the tower which NEVER works for more than 5 minutes.  However, with Airplane Mode and WiFi Calling turned on, I keep losing my T-Mobile calls mid-conversation, or cannot make a call at all.  I get a “disable airplane mode” message because WiFi calling has just decided to turn off.  Today, I was able to “cancel” then place the call again, but had to do it three times during a 40 minute call.  Often the WiFi calling goes off and does not come back on for 45-60 minutes.  I am a new T-Mobile customer with a new IPhone SE, but I am just about ready to cancel my account and take my SE back to Verizon.  I have my tv, two pcs, and Comcast phone all using WiFi with no trouble at all.  I have all settings I can find set up to enable WiFi Calling, and it does work once in a while, but it seems to be getting worse.  I was happy for first 30 days, and almost turned Verizon off.  Now I am holding on to Verizon just in case.  This is getting expensive, and I have to make a decision.  Please help.  Thanks, Will

Just want to add that I am right now looking at a little airplane, a full-strength WiFi symbol, and NO WiFi Calling message in the top bar.  Texts and Signals are coming in fine.  But cannot place or receive calls.  Attempts to place a call give “No Network Connection … Connect to a WiFi network or disable airplane mode to place a call.”  This is a very strange message from a phone that is 2 feet from the modem, showing a full-strength WiFi signal, next to multiple devices all transferring data over WiFi with no problem whatsoever - including the laptop I am using to write this message..

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I personally haven't had issue with WiFi calling.  I also didn't have to disable cellular network to do it.  In central CA, indoors where there is “No Service” or “Emergency SoS" roaming, WiFi calling worked without any issues.   Personally, I don't typically use it, as I have great service where I am, and don't want to deal with handoff if I go out of range.

Badge +1

Wifi calling on tmobile is absoulte garbage, you could try signal app, which bounces the phone call and text around a vpn. Your other option is thier steal your internet and make a cell tower, but that is a big pain in the butt, you will have to mount it on your roof if you want good coverage, and to do that you have to build some kind of protetive box. 

Before I got thier steal your internet and give every one access, my calls wouldnt go through, but the fun one was it would send 5 to 30 repeats of the same text message to the person.

I dono about i phone, but even with that steal your internet gice tmobile a free cell tower, I had to go to developer options and force the mobile signal to be on at all times.

It was the same for all my phones s20 ultra, and note 10 plus. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I don’t use WiFi with my T-Mobile phone… as its typically slower, however, in some rural locations where there is no service, or in other countries, it has come in handy.

I’m not sure why you would be using T-Mobile, if you believe that they are ‘stealing your internet’.

Badge +1

I don’t use WiFi with my T-Mobile phone… as its typically slower, however, in some rural locations where there is no service, or in other countries, it has come in handy.

I’m not sure why you would be using T-Mobile, if you believe that they are ‘stealing your internet’.

I dont believe they are, they are. The cell spot uses my internet and gives it to every one that has t mobile. They also charge me to use my own internet through it by monitoring and recording the usage. You must some garbage wifi if you think t mobile network is fast lol. Its network is 40 to 80ms with 50 to 80 down and 2 to 30 up, thats garbage internet. Its garbage cell service as far as verizon goes. Verizon in my woods is 300 down 100 up 20 ping. My home internet is 150 down 150 up 9ms ping ocer 5ghz wifi. T mobiles fumpster fire 5 g on my hill is 40ms 30down 2 up. Having a tmobile phone is like being the handicapped kid every one picks on you for being slow, and broken most of the time.

Why, because i liked that thier was no hidden fees and they were up front with it. As soon as i pay them off, i wont be with tmobile the handicaped cell service.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

So.   The range for a cellspoy is about 100'. ( Having known a business with one).  If your cellspoy is indoors, and T-mobile is so awful, nobody else will be using it, or inside your house.  Similarly, you could just use WiFi, and not have anyone “steal" your data.  Speeds at home are Ok..  100-120Mbps.  A few blocks away, it's much faster.  300-700Mbps.  

Badge +1

So.   The range for a cellspoy is about 100'. ( Having known a business with one).  If your cellspoy is indoors, and T-mobile is so awful, nobody else will be using it, or inside your house.  Similarly, you could just use WiFi, and not have anyone “steal" your data.  Speeds at home are Ok..  100-120Mbps.  A few blocks away, it's much faster.  300-700Mbps.  

The whole point of this post is wifi calling and text doesnt work right on tmobile. The cell spot is not 100 feet, its like 1000 feet in all directions.  It goes to the top of my hill which is over 1000 feet, and it goes down the road over 1000 feet.  Why you would justify tmobile not giving the person who has it, acess to it, to determime who can and cannot use it, is beyond me. There is no reason for not allowing it, atnt has the same thing and it has you registers phones 2 it. All your doing is making excuses for piss poor service. 

Though this is tmobile the handicapped cell service, so im starting to lower my expectations a hell of alot. Good job defending the handicapped kid though your momma must be proud haha.

Yep looks like in californa in that one city tmobile is fast.  Here if i go to the peak of my hill which is like 2500 feet away from the cell spot i pick up thier 5g, which is 30 down 2 up 40 ms.  If I go to that tower which is like 15 miles away it doesnt get much better 80 and 30. If I go to the nearest city its even worse.  Bouncing from 40 to 80, and all of it with 40 ms ping. 

So that one tower in california must be ehat they base thier promotions on haha. Though that is intersting that you are getting thay, with 30ms ping. In the middle of the woods my friend gets 300 down 100 up 20ms ping, on 4g lte.  So there are the 5g lies of tmobile, even when you get thier ultra towers in californa they are still garbage. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I haven’t personally experienced any issues with WiFi Calling on most Android devices.  Mist issues with WiFi Calling from my experiences are related to the internet connection WiFi Calling is routed through when enabled.  However, if your device is disabling WiFi Calling and Airplane Mode, then I would say that is a device issue.  Have you tried contacting Apple Support?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My biggest issue with WiFi Calling is when I have a lousy WiFi Signal. T-Mobile’s WiFi Calling requires a solid WiFi signal; not just signal level but also all the handshaking, etc. that goes along with it. This is why they provided the CellSpot router, to replace the junk WiFi routers that were causing many customers to have problems.

Having said all that, WiFi Calling is not the most robust solution and if I planned to be dependent on WiFi Calling, I’d probably want some backup, such as Viber-Out, Skype-Out, etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

When I was out in Cambria (town is hit or miss for usable service - AT&T is slightly better in town), but at the house I stayed at, both were ‘1 bar’ outside, and hit or miss indoors.

That being said, outdoors, I had a long call (+30 min) on ~-120dBm on B4 AWS LTE.

Similarly, indoors, I had enabled WiFi and had a +1 hour call (2 years in a row - 1 was +3 hours with work) on Charter which had ‘meh’ service there.  It does work - but I guess not for all.

Outdoors, with that ‘1 bar’, I was able to get +30Mbps from a site +5 miles away.  In town on one of the other sites, typical speeds were +120Mbps down and 50Mbps up (20x20MHz AWS).

South of town, speeds were ~200Mbps with B71 / n71 added.  Similar should exist north of town in San Simeon, however, T-Mobile has issues with that site (no backhaul?) in which I have a service ticket in for them.

I can’t say that all locations are equal… some are more equal than others.  I don’t defend T-Mobile, but make statements based on my actual findings and usage.  If you don’t like the service… you don’t have to use it.  Bashing people for picking a service that is cost effective, and doesn’t nickel and dime you to death with fees/taxes isn’t always a bad thing.  You should be glad to have choices.