Would buying a new phone give me better service in areas with poor coverage?

Badge

I’m currently using an iPhone SE (2nd gen). My workplace is in a suburb of San Francisco. We experience very poor connectivity at work and so many staff connect to the workplace wifi for even the most basic texting and calling. T-Mobile Service can be either extremely week or non existent, but it seems to impact most all carriers. I’m curious to know if this could possibly be remedied by purchasing a better phone (iPhone 13 for example) or if that will even have an impact if the service is just weak. As I mentioned, I can connect to workplace wifi, but due to privacy concerns, I’d prefer to not rely on that service and would much rather use my carrier.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No it will not. In fact the areas that don’t have strong coverage will try to transmit using older standards that your phone already supports. Concerning wifi as long as it’s not open and uses a strong security standard requiring a passphrase, you should be fine. However, who ever owns the wifi network can see where you are connecting, they can’t see what data you are passing back and forth. Now this requires your employer to identify you from your phone’s MAC address so if you have not shared this with them, there have no way of them knowing who you are. Additionally you can enable private addresses on your iPhone so that it creates a virtual address for the network that can never be traced back to your phone unless you volunteer that information.

Badge

Thanks for your response. WiFi is password protected, but is widely available to the public, even though it’s supposed to be an employees-only network. The very small number of staff on-site at any given moment (1 to 2 people at times) can make it a pretty simple process-of-elimination to determine who is on.

Network settings prevent me from connecting via a VPN and the Private Relay (beta) in iCloud has also been prevented from functioning. Enabling either of those two services and attempting to connect to WiFi blocks access to the network completely.

Disclaimer: Nothing illegal/unethical, or against company policy going on whatsoever. Not looking to subvert rules or anything for any purpose. Just want to be very careful that private, personal information and communications are actually private. Was hoping to get off of WiFi and on to my carrier network instead, but there may be no good option to do so.

Thanks again for your response, gives me some things to consider.