Alcatel Idol 4s : How can I uninstall all the VR apps that I will never use?

• 9 February 2017
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2

Alcatel says that T-Mobile would have to allow it since it is a branded phone. I know Alcatel has a way for this to be done on the Idol 4 android version. Please see below. Thank you.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/447342-uninstalling-vr-software.html

18 replies

Userlevel 2

post 3 in thread:

I contacted Alcatel and they sent me instructions on how to uninstall it at my Android. Apparently the word Windows slipped their mind. I replied back, but so far, no response. It's really dumb to use the same name for 2 phones even the workers are confused.

post 7 in thread:

I contacted them via Email and they said it was a T-mobile thing, and it would be up to them to allow it so unless someone hits John Legere up on twitter, it wont happen. I can stand the T-mobile app....I actually use it....the VR Apps?....damn!

Userlevel 2

Will T-Mobile allow the VR apps to be uninstalled and tell how to do it ? Does anyone from T-Mobile read these threads since that's how it seems? Thank you.

Userlevel 4

..that's a great question! And entirely something I have no idea on!

I am going to go ahead and reach out to our Windows phone content owners to see if they have any insight!

-Lauren

Userlevel 2

Thank you tmo lauren.. In my first post if you follow the link and read it will show that the ball is in tmobile's court.

Just a few points:

- The Idol 4s was just recently reduced by almost $200.00 which is an indication it's lifespan with tmobile will also be short as with all other windows phones.

- There has been no software updates, firmware, etc.

- I see no reason why tmobile will not allow the vr software to be uninstalled considering anyone who bought this phone should be able to use it how they want and any other product support from tmobile is very unlikely.

I will take you at your word and wait to hear from you. You probably will have to ask the powers that be.

Userlevel 2

Any updates tmo lauren?

Thank you.

Userlevel 2

Lauren,

Maybe this is a situation Mr. John J. Legere John Legere (@JohnLegere) | Twitter could have his attention brought to this question?

I'll keep checking back.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4

Hey @kpo6969‌ - I know @tmo_lauren will update as soon as she hears word back.  Thanks for your patience here!

- Marissa

Userlevel 2

Thank you Marissa.

I do know Windows Phone has less than 1% of the world-wide phone usage and this may make it not one of priorities for T-Mobile but we are a dedicated group of users. I you read the link in the first post you would see the lengths that some are going to uninstall the VR apps. I hope you may come to the conclusion that you would see higher sales if this may be done.

Also,

Alcatel Idol 4s Firmware Update

When will t mobile release the firmware update that the non-t mobile Idol 4s that are sold by Microsoft have received?

t mobile version is 1052.10.08031.54600

newest version is 1052.16.09031.50700

Thank You

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Maybe this is a situation Mr. John J. Legere John Legere (@JohnLegere) | Twitter could have his attention brought to this question?

I'll keep checking back.

Thank you.

Userlevel 2

When will t mobile release the firmware update that the non-t mobile Idol 4s that are sold by Microsoft have received?

t mobile version is 1052.10.08031.54600

newest version is 1052.16.09031.50700

Why was this thread deleted?

I guess both my questions will probably never be addressed, considering the firmware thread was deleted with no notification.

Also on the support page I see you updated the Windows 10 build info with instructions. Just to clarify the "data connection" requirement Microsoft Phone prefers Wi-Fi be used if possible so a full update is done (Wi-Fi settings, etc).

Some updates can be 2GB+ or more.

Thank you

Userlevel 4

Hey @kpo6969‌!  I'm sorry - to be honest, I have no idea why the other thread was archived.  It doesn't appear to be an exact duplicate, which would be the typical reason, but just looking it over I think it may have been moved because the questions asked on that thread are the same as those you brought up here. 

I reached out to our contact who works with Windows on your behalf, and forwarded the feedback about your (and I'm sure other users as well) desire to remove the VR software that comes pre-loaded on the device.  I'm sorry to say that it looks like that isn't an option at this time.  While we can't say if this is something that will be an option in the future (nor are we the folks who make that call) - we do appreciate the ask, and have passed it on.

The Idol's software page, as you noticed, was updated to reflect the most recent S/W update to the Idol, as well as the added inclusion of a link to instructions for using the Windows 10 Mobile Device Recovery Tool.  I'm sorry to say that beyond that, we don't have any additional details about upcoming software, and making any guesses would be irresponsible.
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns here.  I'm so sorry that your other thread was removed without notice - I don't think there were malicious intentions in archiving it, as the content of that thread had been posted in this one, and vice versa, but we shouldn't do things like that without transparency, that is definitely not the way we intend to operate.  We appreciate your feedback, even if we aren't in a position to grant these requests; everything is worth asking.  Thanks for giving us that opportunity!

- Marissa

Userlevel 2

The Idol's software page, as you noticed, was updated to reflect the most recent S/W update to the Idol, as well as the added inclusion of a link to instructions for using the Windows 10 Mobile Device Recovery Tool.

Just so nobody gets confused here the Idol 4 Pro is not a TMO phone, it is the unlocked version being sold in Europe.

The Idol 4S is the TMO locked version that you sell.

Userlevel 2

Do you use or have any use for VR on your Alcatel Idol 4S: Poll

http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/454146-do-you-vr.html#post3637791

Userlevel 2

Here are the tons of fixes in Windows 10 builds 14393.953, 10586.839 and 10240.17319

Userlevel 1

Well I personally don't know almost anything about how windows phones exactly work but what I am certain is that pre installed apps can't be Uninstalled regardless of its origin if the phone was an android I would have suggested you to root it but since it's a windows OS I don't know if something similar to root might exist for windows OS probably there is you might have to search for it

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Long story short you can't uninstall some pre-installed apps. You may be able to disable or you could try loading on a diffrent version of the software.