Solved

does tmobile send you a refurbished phone in the mail or a new one after you break your phone

• 11 April 2017
  • 5 replies

I broke my phone and did a claim but didn't ask if they were sending me a refurbished phone or a brand new one

please help

icon

Best answer by stevetjr 11 April 2017, 20:58

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It is not T-Mobile but Assurant (insurance company) that replaces the device. Usually it is a refurbished but on occasion they are new. I have had a couple of the refurbs and frankly couldn't tell the difference.  My daughter though recently broke her S6e so had to pay the deductible but they sent her a brand new in the box S7e because apparently they didn't have any S6e to replace it with.

We were told by the sale staff that if the Note 4 had issues, since it was being phased out they would just give us a brand new phone .    Not what happened either time, what they sent was just the guts, no new phone, same with second.   The insurance was usless

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@kymkrogers wrote:

We were told by the sale staff that if the Note 4 had issues, since it was being phased out they would just give us a brand new phone . Not what happened either time, what they sent was just the guts, no new phone, same with second. The insurance was usless

As mentioned above, the insurance is not T-Mobile they just have negotiated a rate and terms with the insurance company and sell the plan on the insurance companies behalf. So the sales person should have said most likely, or from what he has seen not state as fact.   My ex dropped her Note 4 like February of this year, filed a claim paid the deductible and they did replace it with Note 5.  But understand the plan documentation is clear they will replace your device with a comparable device so if they don't have any re-furbished/re-certified of your phone in stock then they may have to go one model up especially on the Note because their is no other "comparable" device to the Note (other than a higher model Note).  Her Note 5 was a re-furb also.  But if the insurance company gets more Note 4's to refurbish/re-certify then they will give a Note 4 for a Note 4 or even Note 3 if they don't have those.  Yes on an older phone with what a deductible is vs the value of the phone it may not be worth it but if you can't afford to shell out for a new one then the insurance might still be worth it but the insurance is in no means a tool for an upgrade.  For me I don't usually have a phone for more than 6 months to a year so the cost of replacement or screen replacement on a newer device the insurance is worth it not to mention the insurance is included as part of the original JUMP programmed I am grandfathered on so even if I got to a point that I was starting to get a diminishing return on the insurance premium I would see some benefit just to keep myself grandfathered on JUMP v1.0  

I had my S9+ for 2 months before I broke the screen (first one in a while) but it was so new the screen replacement was ridiculous so even though it was a refurb to which I was surprised they had after only 2 months I knew that it was a possibility and was happy to have replaced for a lot less than the new screen would have cost me.  

T-Mobile customer service doesn’t know what they’re doing. The lady was jumping all over the place. I got a replacement phone after my phone was stolen. My original phone was paid off too. So wen I tried to get them to unlock my new replacement phone so that I can use it on another carrier the are clueless as to how to unlock it. Tells me unrecognized on network

I filed a claim as well and today i received the replacement and it was horrific! The phone was dirty and it had a crack on the corner of the front screen