Question

External Antennae for High-Speed Internet Gateway

• 23 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Do they make an external antennae for the 5G gateway?  I’m only getting 3bars at LTE speeds and am thinking that if I could get an antennae outside the house then I can like get the 5G speeds that I am wanting.

2 replies

Full disclosure:
We just got ours yesterday and we have never used T-Mobile and/or Sprint anything before.  I also have not completely read the ToS for this community so if something posted below breaks a rule, please slap my hands.

We live in rural area and our ADSL is garbage.  One iPhone on a charger and the connection dies.  The iPhone decides it’s now time to do a backup or some other random act using all that massive 7-900ish kbps upload.  Desperate we’re trying the Internet gateway.  In one specific spot the unit gets a weak signal (two bars) so I was researching the exact same thing.  They have “cell phone boosters” that you can buy for your home.  You can even get them professionally installed if you so choose.  While researching that, I came across an article on PCMAG (Google “pcmag cell phone booster”) that mentions the frequencies the various carriers use and other tid bits. 

Here’s the bad news (emphasis mine):

“Most boosters handle bands 2/4/66, 5, 12, 13, and 17. That includes base coverage bands for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. The important missing band is 71, T-Mobile's 600MHz rural coverage band. Because it took a while for TV stations to get out of that band, the FCC hasn't approved any consumer boosters for band 71; you're just not going to find one.”

“Verizon's faster 5G network is currently on band n261 and will soon be on band n77, and those are not supported by any consumer booster. AT&T will activate band n77 in 2022.  No booster can handle any of T-Mobile's current 5G networks, which are on bands n41 and n71.”

Credit: Sascha Segan at PCMAG.com

I am thinking we probably out of luck.

You need a 2x2 or 4x4 MIMO antenna