Solved

Home Internet - bridge, yes or no ?

• 9 March 2020
  • 9 replies

There has been a few discussion about T-Mobile Home in the past month. Unfortunately, I can't find the discussion anymore.

At the time, no bridge functionality where available.

What about today ?

Here are my question :

• Is a brdige functionality available ?
    If not, is T-Mobile even consider adding one ?

• While I guess no bridge is available, is there possible to forward all traffic to a single local IP ?
    If yes, is there any kind of firewall, etc... that can be disable to be transparent ?

I am considering T-Mobile Home for getting good upload, a link dedicated to my NAS. But for that, I need to be sure I can have all teh feature I need.
At my home, I get easily a 35Mbps of upload. 40 down. Not bad at all. But if this unfinished device is a joke, and don't let people managing their network properly, then it's pointless....

Thanks all in advance.

icon

Best answer by ungene 15 March 2020, 04:08

Hey there @endeavour1701​, I have the service and to simply answer your questions, there is no bridging available and for me and others in this forum, port forwarding and DMZ do not work.

View original

9 replies

Hey there @endeavour1701​, I have the service and to simply answer your questions, there is no bridging available and for me and others in this forum, port forwarding and DMZ do not work.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Here's one of the threads that talked about those issues: Home Internet - Port Forwarding not working

tmo_ian wrote:

Here's one of the threads that talked about those issues: Home Internet - Port Forwarding not working

Hey, thanks.

I couldn't find this thread anymore.

Seems like no more update from T-Mobile.

I keep checking back to see if there are any updates.  Hopefully port forwarding becomes available through a firmware update.  The other thing is that the T-mobile modem can only support a max of 20 devices connected but 15 is recommended.  Nowadays everything is connected to the internet and at any time I have at least 30 devices connected ( Echo devices, light bulbs, switches, smart tvs, computers, tablets, phones. This was the deal-breaker for me.  Maybe a bridge mode so we can use our own routers and set it up the way we want it or a better modem, where all this things are available. 

Yeah, I've been really excited about TMobile home Internet because I can't wait to kick Cox out forever. But if I can't access my security system or my NAS from outside, then I can't use their service.

@M0b1us I have my Orbi rbr50 router hooked up (via AP mode)to the gateway. I had it previously connected to spectrum...I kept all settings as is, including port forwarding, and I can view my arlo cams remotely

The reason for this is Arlo keeps an outgoing connection to their service, so the tunnel is always there. Not all services or systems do this, and more advanced / not off the shelf stuff generally doesn't. We can't set up remote access to our home networks or things like that. That's why it doesn't always work and why us more technical people are complaining and unable to use the T-Mobile "Internet service".

Badge

I just got the home internet service and was concerned about the gateway issue. However, when I unplugged my Deco mesh router from the cable modem and plugged it into the T-Mobile router, after a reboot, everything worked fine. All of my 30+ devices on my Deco WiFi can still connect to the internet and my 5G internet speed is 150-200 for downloads (it fluctuates, depending on the time of day).

Badge

Slotdoc,

I think your only recourse is to run a wire from the T-Mobile modem/wifi to your own router.

This worked for me.  Dadown above also has it working and in another thread a user named rookie also has it working.

If I remember right, I had to change my router’s settings to get the address of the DNS server by DHCP from the T-Mobile box.  So if you get an error message, try that.

OK, that’s it...But, hey...Lets be careful out there.

PhilEsterhouse