Question

Home Internet Port Forwarding working in 2021?

• 25 February 2021
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I see a couple threads talking about port forwarding not working and I still can’t seem to get mine working.  Is anyone having any success with new hardware or contacting support?

44 replies

I just got the LTE wifi gateway yesterday and do not see anyway to even setup port forwarding. I called support yesterday, was on hold for several hours, the "tech" who took my call didn't seem very knowledgeable at all. So, nothing was resolved. 

I called again today, a message stated it would be approximately 2 hours and would I like a call back, so I said yes to set that up. 6 hours later, they call, and I am put on hold for 40 minutes, then the phone went quiet. I finally hung up. 

Looking through the available settings, I don't see anywhere to setup port forwarding. There are very little options. It's as if it is setup for the most basic non-technical user, who they don't want touching anything. It's disappointing. 

I'm guessing that we may need to get another router and connect the T-Mobile router to the wan port? Frustrating, because before signing up, I made my requirements clear and they assured me their service would allow them. 

I have been using t-mobile hotspot and other carriers for years and have also had issues with the port forwarding. The issue is that t-mobile and others use a carrier grade NAT which will never assign you a public IP when connecting to the internet. You will be assigned a shared IP to WAN which means there is no way to direct any particular port to your device directly. Unless t-mobile offers a service to allow a public or dedicated IP this probably will never be supported, even if the router they provide has it available in their settings. 

However, I have found a decent work around that has worked well for me, though I am still waiting for my device to come in for me to try on the t-mobile home internet. It works well with my phone tethering and hotspot though so I assume it will work the same. PureVPN has a service with their VPN that assigns your connection with a dedicated IP address and port forwarding. It works with PPTP and L2TP / ipsec only but this makes it very easy to set up. PPTP is hardly encrypted and is not standard to use for many VPNs, but it is very very fast and is minimal on latency / bandwidth compromises. 

I use a second router with dd-wrt firmare and use PPTP to connect straight through its WAN connection settings. Super easy to setup, and the dedicated IP you assigned becomes the WAN IP of the second router which means port forwarding is used directly. No need to open any ports or DMZ with the t-mobile router at all. Routers will vary with PPTP WAN support, but this should be a pretty common protocol so others might work the same. 

This is actually easier than it might seem, and it works better than you might expect. The benefit is that you will also have a dedicated IP which is super handy to have. The downside is that there is a cost to these services, but PureVPN also supports OpenVPN so you can use to connect other devices as a standard VPN. Its a work around, but so far its the only way I have found to poke holes through that wall. 

Badge

Ok found this it may help some ppl. 

Fix Double NAT on an Xbox, router, and PC

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/double-nat/

THIS IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE … i switched over to tmobile wifi, and it killed my xbox games on my pc.

so…. i have been trying everything i can to resolve it.  now will try the ethernet cable.  if that does not work i will have to say goodbye to TMOBILE

and the thing is, THEY KNOW this issue exists.  the engineers knew it when they rushed it to market.  and the rep’s you sit on the phone w// for hours are clueless to resolve it.    and when the rep says they will follow up …. don’t hold your breath

thanks Tmobile!   your the best at killing my gaming 

so very annoyed

Badge

I have been using t-mobile hotspot and other carriers for years and have also had issues with the port forwarding. The issue is that t-mobile and others use a carrier grade NAT which will never assign you a public IP when connecting to the internet. You will be assigned a shared IP to WAN which means there is no way to direct any particular port to your device directly. Unless t-mobile offers a service to allow a public or dedicated IP this probably will never be supported, even if the router they provide has it available in their settings. 

However, I have found a decent work around that has worked well for me, though I am still waiting for my device to come in for me to try on the t-mobile home internet. It works well with my phone tethering and hotspot though so I assume it will work the same. PureVPN has a service with their VPN that assigns your connection with a dedicated IP address and port forwarding. It works with PPTP and L2TP / ipsec only but this makes it very easy to set up. PPTP is hardly encrypted and is not standard to use for many VPNs, but it is very very fast and is minimal on latency / bandwidth compromises. 

I use a second router with dd-wrt firmare and use PPTP to connect straight through its WAN connection settings. Super easy to setup, and the dedicated IP you assigned becomes the WAN IP of the second router which means port forwarding is used directly. No need to open any ports or DMZ with the t-mobile router at all. Routers will vary with PPTP WAN support, but this should be a pretty common protocol so others might work the same. 

This is actually easier than it might seem, and it works better than you might expect. The benefit is that you will also have a dedicated IP which is super handy to have. The downside is that there is a cost to these services, but PureVPN also supports OpenVPN so you can use to connect other devices as a standard VPN. Its a work around, but so far its the only way I have found to poke holes through that wall. 

Hi,

Have you got PureVPN to work with your settings? If so, is anything in addition to the instructions PureVPN provides at their website you did?

Thanks.

Userlevel 2

We shouldn’t have to buy a VPN to use the internet we pay for. I need port forwarding as a basic ability. It seems this used to be a feature on the older models and this new 5G one can’t do it. 

The support for this service has been absolute garbage. Long hold times, many transfers, to people who don’t know anything, hang up on you, and barely speak English. It seems they are given no real way to help customers when you say you have a problem. They are like Fedex agents and just make things up and lie to make you happy. They will say they will send techs to the tower, or they will fix the problem, or they will send a replacement router, or they will call back and it’s clearly just all lies. Nothing changes and they never call back and they never send the router. 

I was promised this would be 5G internet and then when I get it they now claim 5G is upgrading in my area with no estimate to when it will happen. So they just lie to get customers. The sales agents don’t know the difference between 5G and 5Ghz wifi. 

Speeds have been very inconsistent and so has latency. 2-10mbps is common with a max of 80 being the highest I have ever seen. 100ms ping is also common. Have to reboot the router randomly to get internet back. Even with 5 bars of signal speeds can be slow and sometimes 3 bars gets more speed. 

No port forwarding is the icing on the crapcake. $50 a month can get better/faster/more consistent service from verizon fios with 1/5th the latency and port forwarding. Too bad I live in an area where 1 local company has a complete monopoly. 

Badge

I am in the same boat yall are on. Same troubles for the same reasons. I even got a Pure VPN account which didn't seem to work with my router which isn't that old. I contacted XFinity and get my internet plan turned back on with a good discount even if just for the first year. I cancelled my band-aid VPN service for a full refund and will be putting the 5G T-Mobile Gateway n its box and will ship it back. 

I have learned quite a lot about CGNAT, 464XLAT and interesting things on the subject but in the end, I do not have a public ip and from what I understand never will from T-Mobile home internet. Now my VOIP phones and security cameras will work again, just like they have for years without any trouble or intervention.

I will certainly miss the speed and cost but I cant throw more money (new hardware, VPN service etc) at this  problem. The day T-Mobile offers a public IP with all incoming ports unfiltered is the day I will try again.

I feel an idiot after buying this hot spot. They should of never called it home internet but instead called it what it was which is a hotspot which I could have got with my phone. False advertisement basically. They could of been more upfront about this. I expected it to be just like any other home internet. As much as I hate and despise Century link, I’d be better off with their internet as they actually have port forwarding/etc. This internet is pretty much useless to me. I am awaiting an answer from TMobile regarding the potential of them adding this in the future. But if this wont occur I am returning this and buying Century Link (its slower but its ACTUALLY home internet).

Userlevel 2

Port forwarding still a problem: bump

Userlevel 1

Just started setting up my T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway, and the speeds and latency look very good, (low 10’s of milliseconds ping, 300-500 Mbps downlink, 50-80 Mbps uplink, BUT, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to accomplish port forwarding in the web GUI. What a major oversight. They need to add several controls:

• DHCP reservation (required for port forwarding)
  • Port forwarding (to devices that have IP reservations)
  • Auto firmware updates
  • Ability to modify DNS servers that are used

In absence of these functions, they could perhaps provide a way to act exactly like a cable modem: provide all ports at a wired Ethernet connection and allow the WiFi to be turned off. Let us do the rest if you can’t do it.

I am in the same boat as ya’ll trying to set up port forwarding but hit a rock-solid wall. I was informed during the purchase by the rep that it’s possible and can be done by talking to support team but clearly from others experiences the  support team is not really supporting much with this issue, what a bummer. I am getting speeds comparable to Xfi with all my devices connected at a better price so was really hoping and rooting for this 5G service but with port forwarding snafu I am not so sure!

This here sums it up on what needs to happen to allow Home Internet Gateway to be used in similar ways as the traditional modem. Fingers crossed on getting a solution soon -  

Just started setting up my T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway, and the speeds and latency look very good, (low 10’s of milliseconds ping, 300-500 Mbps downlink, 50-80 Mbps uplink, BUT, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to accomplish port forwarding in the web GUI. What a major oversight. They need to add several controls:

• DHCP reservation (required for port forwarding)
  • Port forwarding (to devices that have IP reservations)
  • Auto firmware updates
  • Ability to modify DNS servers that are used

In absence of these functions, they could perhaps provide a way to act exactly like a cable modem: provide all ports at a wired Ethernet connection and allow the WiFi to be turned off. Let us do the rest if you can’t do it.

Still waiting for port forwarding, this is such an important feature. It's ridiculous this isn't available as of yet. 

Stop waiting for this.  It’ll never happen.  It is an inherent mobile ISP limitation.  The reason (very technical) is the inherent capacity limit of IPV4 / carrier grade NAT / etc, and is not double NAT per se.  The helpful customer support people do not have the training (knowledge) to clarify this, likely ever.

This, however, does work: you can expose a computer / device sitting behind your (Tmobile 5G/LTE) router to the internet via a service like ngrok.com.  Or any VPN service.

WARNING this below is not going to be easy for non-technical users.

In brief, use ngrok to create a connection from your computer / device to the internet, bypassing the inherent mobile ISP limitation.  You need a computer (constantly) running a program, plus reasonable home networking knowledge, to do this.

In detail: you need a computer in your intranet running the ngrok server.  Ngrok is just one such service.  On this ngrok server, it redirects (via VPN) traffic from <your custom domain name>.ngrok.io to <your ngrok server>.localdomain, then to <your device>.localdomain (any device eg xbox/PS6/etc on your intranet with a fixed intranet IP).  You can find more details here https://superuser.com/questions/1258093/set-up-a-web-server-behind-a-carrier-grade-nat.  Most likely you’d pay for the basic service, or use the free one (free randomly generated domain name).  Likely you’d want to keep the ngrok server running 24/7.  None of this is simple, but it works if you can navigate the details.  

you can’t do port forwarding because the T-Mobile 5G network does not support IPv4.  the gateway does not even have an IPv4 address.   you reach IPv4 address through 464XLAT.

next would be to see if the firewall in the gateway supports allowing incoming traffic to your device’s IPv6 address…  

Wow, thank you for the ngrok tip! What a very cool service (for the tech inclined). Had it going in a few minutes. Running it from a Raspberry Pi to tunnel to my IP cameras.

So what is the workaround vpn? I have  want to connect to my house from work. How a vpn service has any one tried? If so how and what vpn?

Thanks

Deal breaker. I switched not knowing they would send a router instead of just a modem. Doesn’t work for my needs. By T-Mobile Internet.

Userlevel 1

Same here, I am not putting up with this double NATed bs.

They should have advertised this as a home hotspot not home internet. 

Price is good performance for internet browsing is good too but the hardware features and engineering backend setup is short sighted on the very best of days. 

Now day with wfh, secured setups many of us have is poop at best. Bye bye TMobile. 🙌

Not like Cox gets prizes but at least I get a public ip. 

Userlevel 1

Such poop engineering I swear…

T-Mobile could have had a great win here.

But they F up. 

I knew it was too good to be true. 

I just got a 4G modem with a hotspot sim.  It worked great at first, but then I figured out that nothing could connect back in.  I’ve read some of the posts above and it looks like some people have gotten around the problem with VPN.  I understand that the IPv4 addresses are scarce and this is behind an IPv4 NAT, so we never get to see the real IP address.

I was wondering if they could just assign everybody a static IPv6 address.  There is no shortage of those.  I think I could probably work with that.

I got this as a replacement for cable.  So its starting to look like I’ll have to call the cable guy up and apologize for all the nasty names I called him.

Same here, I am not putting up with this double NATed bs.

They should have advertised this as a home hotspot not home internet. 

Price is good performance for internet browsing is good too but the hardware features and engineering backend setup is short sighted on the very best of days. 

Now day with wfh, secured setups many of us have is poop at best. Bye bye TMobile. 🙌

Not like Cox gets prizes but at least I get a public ip. 

Even the new “Arcadian” modem has nothing new EXCEPT, you can now do schedules for devices… WTF, no one wanted this!? We want Port Forwarding, and static/reserved IP Addressing..

Badge

No port forwarding is definitely and issue.   I was told to add a router behind the trashcan modem.

If your not technical here are so features you might want in your router.

• Wif 6 - Wi-Fi 6 promises faster performance, better battery life for your mobile devices, and less bandwidth congestion.
  • VLAN - virtual LAN is any broadcast domain that is partitioned and isolated in a computer network at the data link layer.
  •  Dual Band or Tri-brand -  dual-band routers broadcast two separate signals, tri-band routers broadcast three different signals. Essentially, they're hosting three different Wi-Fi networks at once
  • 802.11ac and Mu-MIMO- 802.11ac is an evolutionary improvement to 802.11n.
    One of the goals of 802.11ac is to deliver higher levels
    of performance that are commensurate with Gigabit
    Ethernet networking:  Multi-user, multiple-input, multiple-output technology
  • H.323 and SIP Support - fully supports video and data conferencing.
  • Wired/Wireless
  • QoS - Quality of service (QoS) is the use of mechanisms or technologies that work on a network to control traffic and ensure the performance of critical applications with limited network capacity. It enables organizations to adjust their overall network traffic by prioritizing specific high-performance applications.
  • Port Forwarding or Mapping:  UDP ports 5060 and 5070 to allow for full functionality for VoIP phones  

New Gateway coming in the future: Arcadyan KVD2 but port forwarding may still not be an option.

Userlevel 2

Hey - read through these posts, ngrok was my first thought.

I’m just getting started on this - I only started on T-Mobile 2 weeks ago and the issue is just as described.

I can possibly containerize the software I write if it solves the issue, if I can, I will release to opensource and provide a link, but it seems straight forward. Dependencies would be basic for linux and android users - I am on the dev community for Win11 where I’ll work with others for a Win10/11 thread to begin working on a conversion if need be - ngrok works on both operation systems, my only unknowns as of now is Google/Apple - but I have dev accounts there as well and can begin the threads appropriately but wouldn’t be able to personally advise on the issue of app creation unless I really dedicate the time.

I’ll keep this as the main thread until I finish development or run into a major issue, for the release of any application I will begin a new thread with the application download / docs / issues page and provide a link to this thread here . That will keep this organized. If issues occur from there, appropriate arrangements will be instructed on how to contact me on the repos where I make it available and reach out to the developer community at TM about forking the repo to theirs as well. 

Give me some time - my schedule is pretty tight but tonight I will more then likely have mine correctly configured - from there I’ll plan the build appropriately and build a repo where you can follow the progress I make - as I make it and ask question or leave comments. I don’t expect an initial release for Linux distros / Android 10/11/12 - to be longer the 1-2wks max for a stable version. Others will need to be patient as I work with other developers on the issue on other operating systems, I doubt they would be much more complex, but I need to develop it in c++ or another basic OOL to abstract it to API’s that can then work with delivery systems that are, as well, cross platform compatible. Java will be the answer there as I know AirBnB and Moz have java engine extensions to other C like networking languages for Apple and Gentoo distro’s like Google’s Chrome OS.

Please be patient - I in know way am associated with T-Mobile, just a customer. I love to solve problems - this seems like a good place to start anyway. If I hit bottlenecks or anything that will disrupt the development process, I will update here so no one keeps there hopes up too long.

All my best - KS

Userlevel 2

UPDATE to prev reply: Configured a script to access and monitor the network / cell tower connectivity and working on the optimization / fall over logic.

Abstracting the APN’s to available devices offered TM-End-Users and segmenting the tower mapping at TM is the second step, I will auto configure a suitable automation for router, ip, net, sub … etc … in php next, this will provide the base QA testing I will preform on GCP to ‘ping’ alternate cell towers, by alternating alias (apn/vpn/multi...etc) configurations, isolated to different regions in US (to start). If I can isolate and debug those issues in the logic of the back-end, I’ll construct a GUI - built mobile first of course, to access the beta and I can do a live run - I’ll continue to update devOp’s as I move forward.

For those interested in that beta - please let me know, don’t release your personal information here, I will link an open repo where you can help me continue through-out the process along with appropriate documentation and ways to post issues and offer suggestions.

The overall aim is to offer a optional software that can be individually configured, modified, or at a novice level - utilized to auto-detect the appropriate network configuration and assignment for the issues facing the Nok/Kdv Gateway’s and there Network connections to multiple Bans’ on a variety of devices. Done so, in a simple and predictable manner based on the users device - or overridden by custom instruction. Third, by monitoring the tower signals - provide fall over to the best band for the users needs and without mis-configuring that connectivity, periodically looking to elevate or change to improve, unless overridden.

Most importantly- Security - Will at first require logs be native to the device until proper encryption and protocols can be established - this will be accessible and customizable if you require it to do so by stable, bare in mind - I do not plan on creating alternatives or documenting the process of how to do so, until considering a “stable” release. So please, if you would like to beta test - for now, keep this in mind, until further developments are made - the standard encryption/security provided - will be the only one of focus of me or those on the build team - when and if we start testing a published software to the public. Further more - any Beta or Nightly application should be considered ‘unstable’ no matter who or what it is referring to - if you find that undesirable please await a more developed version before asking questions about the build to those working on it.

Lastly, for anyone not familiar with open-source software, most if not all of us do this kind of thing for free, maintain at our own cost, and have lives - I hope it helps you, but will not guarantee the modification will be ideal for every person using TM - they have the massive infrastructure … I’m a nerd from NJ … maintainers will be nice nerds from (somewhere) … please, ask / complain respectfully, we will do our best to provide a solution.

KS

upd.001.02.08.2022/1909-USest

Userlevel 2

UPDATE: Completed network monitor and reboot capability for KDV21 models - working out Nokia, fall over and band auto-selection is jumpy, working out the systemctl and sysconfig monitor necessary to overlap dis/connection timing that avoids loss but can avoid looping. I’m using py, c++, and bash - at this point- this will allow all Linux, Android, and WinOS to work with the tool, I’m going to attempt to keep this consistent throughout the build to offer a one time release to most users and maintain consistency for updates.

Repo is being set-up, building now.

Next steps:

PHP config library and db on GCP to QA known configurations of APN’s, Ban’s, by region to TM cell towers. Looking for 80% ^ before leaving QA to move to further capabilities/ML and will start the GUI in the mean time.

Post library:

Api and wrapper/installer for the GUI. This will handle the packaging, delivery, and CI/CD for the released application.

Expected outcomes after QA pass:

Looking at maybe 24-48hr for a CLI beta, 48-72hr before an app GUI (based on QA testing), and will run the beta until 90%+ over 72hr live before a ‘stable’ build fork to commit over to Google Play or other app stores for free download. 

All my best, KS