Question

Home Internet Port Forwarding working in 2021?

• 25 February 2021
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I see a couple threads talking about port forwarding not working and I still can’t seem to get mine working.  Is anyone having any success with new hardware or contacting support?

44 replies

I needed to access a very basic web server and a DVR at my business. With my current provider was very slow and unreliable so bought this home internet gateway. I setup a ddwrt router behind the gateway with Purevpn service and got an outside ip address to the router. The web server port was set at 80 and received the requests from the remote pc browser but getting packets back to the browser fails as they are not in sequence and results in dropped packets. I tested this as I connected the same setup to my home internet and was able to access the web page from my phone. Conclusion is the t-mobile service either drops packets or forwards the in wrong sequence.

Userlevel 2

Got it running and managing 4g / LTE bands on linux and Win10/11 - working on android config now. CLI tool should be 100% for beta in next 1-3 days - just finishing the 5g work tonight

It’s a 3 part tool - monitoring, network configuration, ip/ban config/fall over

written in c mainly, user interaction and T-M gui extensibility is in python - flask takes on the gui and api work, C-Make will handle the binaries and executable-  looking for a consistent CI/CD w/ wrapper integration before finishing the build repo for public view on github. 

I’m close to an initial mod release - this was a bit more then  I originally thought but I’m glad it seems to be able to do a bit more as far a as firmware access on the device as well. So if you are the network admin type or want to set up a local bug log to find isolated issue to your configuration - this should be simple setting to configure and an easy setting add-on for the gui. I’ll update again shortly - TY 

Userlevel 2

Fulling running on Fedora 35 - see below attached. Proxy / File Share / Network access / VPN all run for all bands - I’ll send SS of the cli MOD once I have all the bugs done

Connected to all TV’s / Roku / 3 Cloud Drives / Local Cloud / Remote Server over VPN / Spit IP for multiple access - connected to a VM run on my other computer and file transfers as well

should work for most situations -

Next steps - win / android debugs

gui app build - final

beta release CLI

beta release gui

G-Play stable ver

Recently got the trashcan and it’s a big improvement in down and up speed over my previous ISP. However, when playing certain games the issue of ports started to come up. With Destiny 2 I now have strict NAT type and has limited the amount of people who I can play with. While playing Terraria multiplayer I cannot connect to my friend on steam. I imagine there are other games where this may cause a problem. 

I tried looking up solutions but as you all know you cannot port forward in the settings. Tried opening up ports in firewall and and network settings on PC but haven’t had any luck. 

I saw some saying to connect the trashcan through a router and port forward that way? Is this something that works?

Recently got the trashcan and it’s a big improvement in down and up speed over my previous ISP. However, when playing certain games the issue of ports started to come up. With Destiny 2 I now have strict NAT type and has limited the amount of people who I can play with. While playing Terraria multiplayer I cannot connect to my friend on steam. I imagine there are other games where this may cause a problem. 

I tried looking up solutions but as you all know you cannot port forward in the settings. Tried opening up ports in firewall and and network settings on PC but haven’t had any luck. 

I saw some saying to connect the trashcan through a router and port forward that way? Is this something that works

If you play GTAO you're going to be playing empty lobbies. At first there will be some players then all of a sudden a flood of So-and-So Has Left until you're the only one. It's great if all you want is to run supplies and such.

I also have Verizon's wifi internet. While slower, you can configure it like another router, port forwarding and all.

T-Mobile…

We need a solution.  Even a reverse proxy would be a great start.  I need to get off of this Spectrum garbage.

Thank You

What’s the deal here I can’t PORT FORWARD?  Has this been fixed I can’t find PORT FORWARDING on my router, please advise!!

Fulling running on Fedora 35 - see below attached. Proxy / File Share / Network access / VPN all run for all bands - I’ll send SS of the cli MOD once I have all the bugs done

Connected to all TV’s / Roku / 3 Cloud Drives / Local Cloud / Remote Server over VPN / Spit IP for multiple access - connected to a VM run on my other computer and file transfers as well

should work for most situations -

Next steps - win / android debugs

gui app build - final

beta release CLI

beta release gui

G-Play stable ver

Watching and waiting for this

What’s the deal here I can’t PORT FORWARD?  Has this been fixed I can’t find PORT FORWARDING on my router, please advise!!

Yesterday I called T-Mobile to inform them I’ll be canceling their service because port forwarding is not available. Long story short they acknowledged that they can’t do port forwarding and gave me instructions to cancel the service and return the trash can.

They called back later and said that they are just now pushing out a firmware update that will allow port forwarding!

He said to leave the unit on for the next 12-24 hours and I should see port forwarding available in the configuration options.

I checked 12 hrs later and there was no firmware update. Will check again later and let you all know.

Yesterday I called T-Mobile to inform them I’ll be canceling their service because port forwarding is not available. Long story short they acknowledged that they can’t do port forwarding and gave me instructions to cancel the service and return the trash can.

They called back later and said that they are just now pushing out a firmware update that will allow port forwarding!

He said to leave the unit on for the next 12-24 hours and I should see port forwarding available in the configuration options.

I checked 12 hrs later and there was no firmware update. Will check again later and let you all know.

Any updates?

Any updates?

I checked that evening, and there was no new firmware loaded. I will check again tonight and let you know

Any updates?

I checked that evening, and there was no new firmware loaded. I will check again tonight and let you know

👍 thanks

They gave me the run-around when I had the trash can also, they said to wait for the new modem (square) but it still didn’t have NAT/Port Forwarding or DMZ  (any would be great)

Have the Arcadyn (square) gateway.  No port forwarding, no nat, no dmz no bridging.  I even tried using VPN on my router for my ip cameras, no luck.  Really want to keep TMHI but may be stuck with $pectrum for 3 times the price.

Any updates?

👍 thanks

Checked again tonight. At this point I believe that the tech support people knowingly lied, and that they don’t have any plans to implement port forwarding. I’m ditching the TMHI.

Badge

Regarding the lack of port forwarding, I put the camera images onto an Android tablet that is also running “Anydesk”.  When away from home, using my cell phone that also has the ‘Anydesk’ ap, I can connect to the tablet computer at home and see the camera images. It’s slower than I like, but it works.  However, I also have internet switches in the house, as well as a Wifi garage door opener, and a Wifi controlled AC unit and this will be hard to do with the same approach.  If Anydesk can punch through the T-Mobile network, a VPN can also, I’m assuming. Will try this next. So much time has been blown on this... I’ll probably return the unit.

Regarding the lack of port forwarding, I put the camera images onto an Android tablet that is also running “Anydesk”.  When away from home, using my cell phone that also has the ‘Anydesk’ ap, I can connect to the tablet computer at home and see the camera images. It’s slower than I like, but it works.  However, I also have internet switches in the house, as well as a Wifi garage door opener, and a Wifi controlled AC unit and this will be hard to do with the same approach.  If Anydesk can punch through the T-Mobile network, a VPN can also, I’m assuming. Will try this next. So much time has been blown on this... I’ll probably return the unit.

I ditched TMHI because of this issue. However, I may in fact sign up for it again because I’m running Zero Tier One, which allows the same type of tunneling as Anydesk, but ZT1 is not a remote desktop program. Zero Tier One basically creates a LAN between devices anywhere, so they show up as if they are in the same local network. The setup is extremely, boneheadedly simple. If you’re trying to basically set up a home VPN server, I recommend Zero Tier One. I haven’t tested it on TMHI, but it should work just fine.

Have the Arcadyn (square) gateway.  No port forwarding, no nat, no dmz no bridging.  I even tried using VPN on my router for my ip cameras, no luck.  Really want to keep TMHI but may be stuck with $pectrum for 3 times the price.

Check out Zero Tier One

I found this alternative to PureVPN. Working great so far and free: https://www.twingate.com/blog/twingate-starter-setup/