Question

International Roaming during 40 days required to unlock

• 29 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a T-Mobile magneta plan, If i am on international roaming during the 40 days period required to unlock the iphone, will those days be counted?

For example, I buy new iphone and paid full price on 10 Oct. My 40 days will be over on Nov 19. Now if I am on international roaming for 10 days from Nov 1 to Nov 10. Will the iphone be eligible for unlock on Nov 19?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Interesting question. Have you asked international support? +1-505-998-3793 (Free call from your T-Mobile phone.)

OBTW, don’t count on getting it unlocked exactly 40 days from first use. 42 days is more like it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The 40 day usage needs to be on Tmobile USA towers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That has always been my understanding as well.  40 days on the T-Mobile Network.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OTOH, I’ve never heard of anyone who was denied an unlock because they spent 30 days roaming on, say, Viaero and 12 on T-Mobile native service.

Userlevel 1

OTOH, I’ve never heard of anyone who was denied an unlock because they spent 30 days roaming on, say, Viaero and 12 on T-Mobile native service.

Yes, it really doesn’t make too much sense!   Suppose I buy a phone, activate it, and then turn it off and don’t use it for 45 days.   Would that count as “on Tmobile USA towers” or not?

I had assumed that the rule for postpaids was just to make sure that there was some payment (basically two months plan) so that people don’t get a phone, unlock and move the next day.   I don’t see why usage on a tower should be needed.   But a lot of things don’t make sense anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That's is one of the requirements in the unlock policy but it may be possible to get an unlock code with some Tmobile usage and a partner Roaming carrier.