Question

moto g 5g question

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi all.  Does anyone know what the "silent" shown in the screen shot means.  It was on since day one and nothing is silent as far as notifications or ringtones are concerned.  I can usually poke around the settings and the internet to find these things out, but this one has me stumped.  Thanks for any info.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i think it means you can silence notifications for a bit. have you clicked on it to see what happens? i have a LG V60 and if i slide down the notifications bar the silent shows up as well.. i think notification snoozing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi.  Yeah when I click on it, all it does is take me to the notification settings page, but nothing there I've found toggles it on or off. Thanks for the interest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it isnt a toggle. i think its a built in deal from Google that are on pretty much all Android phones. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for that.  Poking around a bit more, I think it's referring to apps that have notifications that are silent by default like the BatteryBot that shows in my screen shot.  I still can't turn it off or on.  I have not found any reference to it in the manual or online yet.  My last moto didn't show it, Moto G6. Inquiring minds want to know.  Maybe it's always on by default and can't be turned off. Doesn't matter I guess, I just like to know what different settings do.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you wait for a notification to pop up then hit the x to the far right of silent im pretty sure it’ll mute notifications for a half hour or hour. just did it and i get the visual notifications but not audible. dont believe you can get rid of it. could be one of those deals where a certain Android version and higher has it. Android 12 and up maybe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Do Not Disturb will silence all notifications, including the ringing when a call comes in, when enabled.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Do Not Disturb will silence all notifications, including the ringing when a call comes in, when enabled.

I’m aware of “do not disturb”, I use it every night.  This isn't that, but thanks.

if you wait for a notification to pop up then hit the x to the far right of silent im pretty sure it’ll mute notifications for a half hour or hour. just did it and i get the visual notifications but not audible. dont believe you can get rid of it. could be one of those deals where a certain Android version and higher has it. Android 12 and up maybe?

I have seen and hit that X, and silent disappeared, then returned, so I think your’e on the right track.  It does seem to be enabled by Android 12.  Just wondering, not really a concern.  I must be a bit thick, but it’s still confuses to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah im on 12 with my V60 and dont remember seeing it on 11. i think like in my scenario my home security camera picks up EVERY vehicle that passes our house..i can “silence” it for a while and they wont pop up..just not sure if its for half a hour...a hour..or what exactly..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran youre on 13 right? slide down your notifications bar and right above those notifications is there a “silent” to the left side and on the right side in line with “silent” a x on the far right side? curious if this was yanked with 13 or still with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@syaoranyoure on 13 right? slide down your notifications bar and right above those notifications is there a “silent” to the left side and on the right side in line with “silent” a x on the far right side? curious if this was yanked with 13 or still with.

This is what I have on the S23 Ultra.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

On my Pixel 6 when I swipe down and click on the silent tab it takes me to my app notifications same as the OP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

ok so you have it also on your P6. so yeah its an Android thing..thinking Android 11 and up maybe..or 12 and up currently?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also have a Moto G 5G.  My phone does not have an APP named “BatteryBot”.  It appears that YOU have that APP --- perhaps installed via Google-Play?  I have a suspicion that this APP has its notifications set to either “silent” or “none”.  In that case the APP may be attempting to warn you that notifications are not allowed.  (maybe?)  If you assign a notification-sound to the APP then perhaps your pull-down area will be modified… and then make more sense.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the silent notifications deal is a built in Android deal..not an app deal. if this were the case then all 3 of us somehow downloaded “BatteryBot” without knowing it..on 3 different types of Android phones.

the silent deal would be right above any notification you end up getting. at the bottom right would be “clear” and above the notification on the left would be “silent” and to the far right of that would be an x to click.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

the silent notifications deal is a built in Android deal..not an app deal. if this were the case then all 3 of us somehow downloaded “BatteryBot” without knowing it..on 3 different types of Android phones.

the silent deal would be right above any notification you end up getting. at the bottom right would be “clear” and above the notification on the left would be “silent” and to the far right of that would be an x to click.

Makes me wonder if that is a result of T-Mobile's Diagnostic and App Selector apps.  I have removed both of those on my devices.  Those apps install other apps from the Play Store without notifying the user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

always possible. but it only shows if you swipe down once to see notifications..any lower and it goes away to show you the toggle options. i didnt really notice this until 12..not that i was really paying that much attention but did notice it maybe a month after receiving 12 ish..when i DID decide to pay attention lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just so there is no confusion, I did download BatteryBot from the play store myself.  I've carried it over from last 2 phones.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your swipe down screen is the same as mine using a Pixel 6 but it won't let me take a screenshot of the swipe down notification screen,  it takes a screenshot of the last page I was on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is a screenshot of my notification swipe down.