Question

Sonim XP3+ unlock

Badge

Has anyone ever gotten a T-Mobile Sonim phone unlocked?

I got a Sonim xp3+ from T-Mobile to replace my Blu Tank II because 2G was being retired, put enough in top ups to make it eligible to be unlocked and called to unlock it.  I was told it had been unlocked remotely.

Now I am in Portugal and got a local SIM card for the Sonim but it appears the phone is still locked. The IMEI doesn’t work as an unlock code.  Customer Service didn’t have an immediate answer and I’m waiting to hear back from them.  I don’t mean this as a criticism, but my experience has been that they get back to me maybe 1 in 20 calls (different stories), and they haven’t yet.

I see from online searches that there are a number of avenues for a Sonim unlock, all involving apps/menus that are not on this phone.

Thus my question. Looking for a glimmer of sunshine.  In the meantime, using my Tank II, which works just fine in Portugal.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Did you try unlocking it before you left? If not.

Try putting the Tmobile sim back in it and connect to wifi then try using the local sim to see if the unlock came through.

Badge

I called customer service a few months ago to start this, and after a few calls they told me it had been unlocked.  I put in a Google Fi SIM card and it connected successfully, so I thought it had been unlocked. The phone has been on Tmobile ever since. In retrospect, since Fi runs on Tmobile I don’t think that proved much.

I have put in the Tmobile SIM and can make wifi calls.  When I put in the Vodafone SIM, after the SIM unlock code I am asked for the 15 digit phone code.  That should be the IMEI, but that is rejected.

Badge

Just as an update.

I called customer service 10 days ago, and that resulted in an escalation ticket. I called yesterday, and was told I needed to wait 14 days for a response.  Nevertheless, they checked, and the ticket hasn’t been acted on.  I was told they needed to find out from the manufacturer how to unlock.

I called Sonim direct, and they very helpfully told me the unlock code had to come from the carrier.  They are selling unlocked phones now themselves.  They did say that they were aware that a lot of customers had successfully unlocked Sonim devices with T-Mobile, and it was just a matter of a text or email with the unlock code.  So fingers crossed.