T-Mobile High-Speed Internet Gateway-Gray

• 7 January 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just received the new gray addition home internet gateway. So far, I am happy with it. Also, I’m happy to get rid of my Cox internet high priced service. A few questions though.

Has anyone figured out how to change the DNS settings? I want to get away from the default Google 8.8.8.8

How can you tell if it is using the 4G LTE band or if it is using the 5G band? Status says I’m connected to both but 5G is on secondary.

Is their a way to force it to use 5G?

21 replies

I would like to figure out how to connect a repeater to this WiFi 5G tmobile device . I imagine it pulls 4-5 g what ever is available . If it was full bars on your router I’d say it’s 5 g if it’s not all full signal bars I’d assume it’s 4 g

Badge

Have you been able to access the settings from a computer? Everytime I type 192.168.1.1 the connection times out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey there!

Please check out the troubleshooting steps at the bottom of our T-Mobile Home Internet page. If you still need more help, please contact our Tech Care team so they can file a ticket for this.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to upgrade those of us that have the 4G only white unit to the new 4G/5G grey units?  I've been happy with the 4G but more speed is always welcome.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@dpaulb the IP for the new grey one as in this post in 192.168.12.1

Have you been able to access the settings from a computer? Everytime I type 192.168.1.1 the connection times out.

Badge

Thanks everyone. I am able to access it. All is well.

Userlevel 1

the 5G is inconsistent during day time.  I got like 1.5 Mbps at this time, and then 5.7 Mbps at that time.   Most of the time i saw the speed is up to 180 Mbps is after 11 pm.  This will not make any benefit at this pandemic timing while my wife, and daughter are working from home, and remote learning, respectivetly.  They both do video conferencing and to tell you the truth, my daughter’s google classroom was a nightmare, which she could not see anyone else face (voice only.) and my wife keep got voice dropped out and video lagging during the video conferencing.  

I rather they give me an option to choose between LTE and 5G (just like on your android phone where you click on mobile network and you can turn off 5G and just solely connect on LTE network) because T-mobile LTE speed has been consistent like +80 Mbps d/l and 50 Mbp u/l in my area. 

Userlevel 1

I have the 5G version and during the day the speeds are terrible. It only seems to have decent speeds late at night and early morning. Also without a bridge mode it’s pretty useless for me. Sadly this feature is already available in the standard hardware but T-Mobile has stripped it in their firmware. They clearly don’t understand what many of their customers need from a home internet service. Hopefully Verizon will get their network deployed soon.

Badge

Hey there!

Please check out the troubleshooting steps at the bottom of our T-Mobile Home Internet page. If you still need more help, please contact our Tech Care team so they can file a ticket for this.

I have the 4G modem and have tried over 25 times to factory reset it with no luck whatsoever what‘s up with that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Thevdoguy You cannot change the DNS settings on the Nokia gateway. They’re fixed to T-Mobile’s DNS servers.
You can change the DNS servers in use by your desktop/laptop. Refer to your operating system’s instructions to do it.
If you have a phone with Android 9 or newer, you can switch to “Private DNS” in your Network settings.

Badge

I have tried several times to get ahold of someone for some help AND I am tired of being on hold for hrs at a time and then getting a call back to be put on hold again  I am about ready to say screw it and go back to Verizon. This is the reason I left Verizon in the first place because I could not talk to someone and if I did  get to talk to someone I could not understand them  They were from a foreign land and spoke very bad English or none at all. 

Badge

you mean 192.168.12.1???

I had the white box for a few months (192.168.0.10). T-Mobile sent out the Grey tube and I was instructed to used the same SIM card. This new gateway IP address is 192.168.12.1. I have a lot of devices with fixed addresses on 192.168.0.xxx subnet. So now only the Dynamic IP units work (sort of) Is there any way to change the IP address on the Grey tube so I don’t have to go to a lot of trouble resetting everything? 

Badge

funny I don’t even know where the sim is on my Fast Mile Nokia but to log into mine I type 192.168.12.1 

not the 192.168.1.1

The SIM Is on the bottom under a tiny cover secured by a screw.  Clearly these units were made for simple networking but as we all buy more and more IoT devices, T-mobile will have to include better support  for increasingly complex home networking. The white box had way more options.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had the white box for a few months (192.168.0.10). T-Mobile sent out the Grey tube and I was instructed to used the same SIM card. This new gateway IP address is 192.168.12.1. I have a lot of devices with fixed addresses on 192.168.0.xxx subnet. So now only the Dynamic IP units work (sort of) Is there any way to change the IP address on the Grey tube so I don’t have to go to a lot of trouble resetting everything? 

The subnet in the Nokia “air purifier” model is fixed to 192.168.12.X, and there is no UI available to change it. So yes, it looks like you’ll have to reset the IP address in a lot of devices.

:sweat_smile: Yes, air puifier exactly describes this device.  Although, I suppose they made it this way partly to create a natural airflow across the PWA for cooling and not ground-breaking industrial design by any metric.  I verified the fixed IP with tech support and you are correct there is no way to change it. The air purifier model less features than the marshmallow,  and I may end up using that instead unless there is a software update that provides more functionality. I’m not that hot about 5G just yet anyway.

type 192.168.12.1. It work with and I get in into T-Mobile area.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone know if there is a plan to upgrade those of us that have the 4G only white unit to the new 4G/5G grey units?  I've been happy with the 4G but more speed is always welcome.

Well,,,, I bought/signed up for Home internet about a year ago hoping it would be the 5G service (it was already accessible by my phone) but what I received was the 4g LTE Gateway….it is working okay, but I signed up to be notified about 5G and have heard nothing…..Checking back every few weeks but nothing other than an occasional “Sign Up and We’ll Let you Know!”  nothing nothing nothing nothing…  Sign up again and nothing nothing nothing nothing … til finally this past week when checking availability it said...Order Now and it stayed consistent for a few days….despite hearing some concerning news about the 5G Gateway hardware (signal strength, configurability, etc.) I ordered it and it is supposed to arrive next week. In the mean time I still have and am paying for the 4G Home Internet Service but once I get the new one and test it out I will cancel the 4G LTE service….

as they say…..We’ll See. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have tried several times to get ahold of someone for some help AND I am tired of being on hold for hrs at a time and then getting a call back to be put on hold again  I am about ready to say screw it and go back to Verizon. This is the reason I left Verizon in the first place because I could not talk to someone and if I did  get to talk to someone I could not understand them  They were from a foreign land and spoke very bad English or none at all. 

Seems Customer Service Sucks Everywhere….. :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

Received the 5G device yesterday…… WOW! What a Difference…. first speed test 268 Mbps!

It remained consistent even at the congestion time (late afternoon/evening) at near 200Mbps!

(as compared to a few Mbps with the 4G LTE device and lots of Buffering on TV)

This morning it even hit 400 Mbps a few times…

I’m totally impressed….hope it stays there speed wise.