Solved

Pay as you go - can i text for free on WiFi?

• 22 October 2017
  • 8 replies

I just started T-Mobile Pay As You Go. If I text while on WiFi does that still use the prepaid minutes? If I receive texts or calls, do those count towards the prepaid minutes?

icon

Best answer by snn555 22 October 2017, 00:45

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

text free no.

call uses minutes

So, receiving texts is free but not receiving calls?

Userlevel 5

Technically any use on WiFi for texts or phone calls it's still using the T-Mobile network. Any use detracts from your allotment of text or minutes.

If you were running low on minutes or text you may look into date of Messengers such as Facebook for Textra. You may also look into Google Voice for phone calls.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there.

For info about charges while using Wi-Fi, you should take a peek at our Wi-Fi Calling page. Essentially, services will be billed like normal if you're using Wi-Fi. Hope the link helps.

I don’t understand how WiFi calling or texting “technically” uses the T-mobile system. It uses whatever Internet connection you’re on, carried over the Internet. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

I don’t understand how WiFi calling or texting “technically” uses the T-mobile system. It uses whatever Internet connection you’re on, carried over the Internet. 

This is not really correct, because at a certain point the message that you send needs to be carried over and sent through the T-mobile network to the respective receipt, hence it still ends up using the T-mobile network. The starting point may be different but in the end, the message still gets routed through T-mobile servers at one point or the other.

This is not really correct, because at a certain point the message that you send needs to be carried over and sent through the T-mobile network to the respective receipt, hence it still ends up using the T-mobile network. The starting point may be different but in the end, the message still gets routed through T-mobile servers at one point or the other.

Are we talking about servers or cell towers? I thought the mobile fees were for using the cell towers. 

Badge

The call or text uses the TM system at some point.   The recipient sees your TM number.  Outgoing also uses TM to route call or text.   A wifi call to a user on wifi could avoid use of any tower.