T-Mobile is Going to Lose Customers By Refusing to Fix NAT Type Issues

Userlevel 1
Badge

I made the switch from Comcast to T-Mobile about 5 months ago and the internet service itself has been consistently good. Very few drops or spotty connections.

However, the issues around strict NAT Type, inability to set static IP addresses, and the lack of UPnP features creates an environment in which online gaming is so inconsistent I don't know why I even bother trying. You can go back so far in the forums and see people complaining about this and we haven't even got a tiny bit of information in terms of them addressing the issue. On top of that, support seems to have no idea what the actual issue is and they keep giving me the same run around.

Genuinely hope this is actually being worked on, because it certainly seems like it's not.

14 replies

Userlevel 1

To add to this, it got a lot worse after the most recent update.  I can’t stay connected to online game servers for more than a few minutes.  AT&T hotspot works fine with no issues…  Support doesn’t seem to understand because the speed is still really good.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

T-Mobile Home Internet isn't for gamers. The NAT issue isn't going away anytime soon. T-Mobile has decided on an ease-of-use model as an ISP and isn't really trying to appeal to hard-line gamers. If they did, they'd have to support it, and at this stage of deployment of Fix Wired Internet (FWI), that’s not their goal.

Take a look at some of Nater Tater’s videos on YouTube to see some workarounds with the different T-Mobile gateways. He has figured out a way to work around the NAT issue, although it requires some work on your part to enable it.

If you decide to implement some of his workarounds, please post back how successful you were, or weren’t.

Badge

The Nat type issue has not been solved so I will be returning mine.   What is the best  mobile gateway or other home internet?  

Userlevel 1

T-Mobile Home Internet isn't for gamers. The NAT issue isn't going away anytime soon. T-Mobile has decided on an ease-of-use model as an ISP and isn't really trying to appeal to hard-line gamers. If they did, they'd have to support it, and at this stage of deployment of Fix Wired Internet (FWI), that’s not their goal.

Take a look at some of Nater Tater’s videos on YouTube to see some workarounds with the different T-Mobile gateways. He has figured out a way to work around the NAT issue, although it requires some work on your part to enable it.

If you decide to implement some of his workarounds, please post back how successful you were, or weren’t.

Except it *was* completely fine for online PC gaming in many different forms for me for nearly a year, then something happened recently which started degrading that type of performance, AND my Cisco VPN the last couple of days on my work machine which also had no problems and they previously fixed. I don’t think they want to also kick out the casual user who works from home these days either. 

Userlevel 1

Except it *was* completely fine for online PC gaming in many different forms for me for nearly a year, then something happened recently which started degrading that type of performance, AND my Cisco VPN the last couple of days on my work machine which also had no problems and they previously fixed. I don’t think they want to also kick out the casual user who works from home these days either. 

Yup, 100% this, it has been fine since I got it over a year ago.  I’ve had no issues playing online games or working from home on a VPN UNTIL last month.

Userlevel 1

The Nat type issue has not been solved so I will be returning mine.   What is the best  mobile gateway or other home internet?  

If you can get Verizon, you get a real external IPv4 addresses and allow true bridge mode.

Badge

If you can get Verizon, you get a real external IPv4 addresses and allow true bridge mode.

Verizon home internet is not available in my area yet. 

Userlevel 1

Verizon home internet is not available in my area yet. 

Same for me, basically TMHI is the best I can get right now unless I go to hughesnet… barf

Badge

I took back the T-Mobile Home Internet and got the Verizon Home Internet. It has all the needed interface to open ports and DMZ. It works. Its $35/mo with an unlimited Verizon line attached, $60 otherwise. T-Mobile was $25/mo with their Magenta line attached, $50 otherwise. Total bill T-Mobile would be $108 for both services, Verizon $130. You do get Paramount+ with T-Mobile, you get Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ with Verizon. Main thing is that you can online game with Verizon, T-Mobile requires work arounds/VPNs.

Last night I did not experience any issues gaming at all. Apex legends, Oculus pop one, MWW2 no issues. The night before several issues staying in a game. I am hoping a miracle happened and it was patched or it was a one time issue. Is the problem fixed for all of you also? 

Verizon doesn’t service my location and T-Mobile does. NAT-3 is all they allow. When I called “service” they acted like I was the only one who ever called about this issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

T-Mobile technical support leaves a lot to be desired. Both T-Mobile management and technical support seem oblivious to how users of their Internet service actually use a home network, or simply don't care.

The era of Fixed Wireless Internet (FWI) is just starting. If T-Mobile wants to be competitive over the long term against Verizon, they'll have to rethink the functionality of their gateway(s) and gain a deeper appreciation as to how their customers use their home networks.

As I said in my earlier post, I am not a gamer. The main purpose for my home Internet is access to on-line sites, email, browsing and video streaming, all of which I can do successfully. I don't use NATs at all, but from reading about the problems with it on this forum, T-Mobile needs to rethink how they will handle this going forward.

They still haven’t fixed. If your a gamer I recommend dropping T-Mobile immediately. It just doesn’t work and no one at T-Mobile cares so forget them. T-Mobile is worthless garbage.

T-Mobile is garbage for gamers. I’m dropping the service. It’s totally useless and T-Mobile refuses to fix the problem.