Question

UPnP not successful on Xbox Series S

• 28 September 2022
  • 15 replies

Badge

Ever since I switched to the BYOD-Router internet gateway I haven’t been able to stay in party chats. Everything else works perfectly fine no connectivity issues on my laptop, phone, or TVs but as soon as I join an Xbox live party it’s fine for a couple seconds then I lose connection. Game chat works fine. My NAT is moderate but it used to be open. Also my xbox is saying UPnP not successful. I logged into my router but there doesn’t seem to be any configurable network settings. Anyone know how to enable UPnP?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Due to T-Mobile’s use of carrier grade NAT with IPV6 in the mix the UPnP seems to be a common issue. There have been numerous conversations regarding problems with UPnP and the T-Mobile gateways. 

See the conversation: Home internet and gaming”

Best answer by PinkMagenta

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

Bumping this thread to ask if anybody has any updates on this issue.  Having this exact issue on xbox series s.  The UPnP issues basically drops me out of online multiplayer games about every 30 seconds or so.  This makes online gaming essentially a no-go on TM home internet.  Would be curious if tmobile is working on a push to address this...and if so, when?  Love my t mobile internet for all my other needs and the price is GREAT.  However, if this issue is here to stay, this is a deal breaker...may be time to go back to fiber.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The execution of UPnP across an all IPv6 network is possible. T-Mobile runs their network as an IPv6 network and also uses 464XLAT to handle IPv4 traffic with the CLAT/PLAT translation. The use of UPnP allows the devices to automatically set port forwarding rules for themselves so this does present some interesting security challenges due to attack vectors. It may/will come down, in part, to how the bandwidth across the n41 cells is handled for a mutually shared distribution and subscriber volume/load. Of course beyond the cells the load on multi-gigabit fiber backhaul routers and negotiations for bandwidth allocations out across the internet routes are sure to be a part of their considerations. Expanding the 5G delivery and the capacity to the edge will take time as there are lots of factors to contend with. Even if/when the bandwidth capability to handle more to the edge is achieved how well will these gateways currently in service handle the demands? Will T-Mobile actually improve and expand the services for games across the 5G cellular delivery? Probably at some future time gaming delivery will improve and expand as the market pressure for a greater subscriber base to feed the machine mounts. It will probably not move as fast as users would like but over time it will probably improve. 

As long as IPv4 and NAT with port forwarding is involved it is unlikely to happen any time soon. Who knows really? T-Mobile has expanded their 5G delivery at an impressive rate. We may all be surprised.

Badge

Due to T-Mobile’s use of carrier grade NAT with IPV6 in the mix the UPnP seems to be a common issue. There have been numerous conversations regarding problems with UPnP and the T-Mobile gateways. 

See the conversation: Home internet and gaming”

Best answer by PinkMagenta

Hello! I apologize that you are having issues with Home Internet. I personally use T-Mobile Home Internet for Gaming, and I can agree with you it can be a little frustrating getting it to work with Video Games if at all. The reason for this (confirmed by a Supervisor from Home Internet department) is because the High-Speed Gateway lacks the “UPnP” feature which in short terms is used to connect to certain aspects of a Video Game such as Chat Systems for example. Without UPnP, video gaming can be tough. T-Mobile is aware of the issue, and they are working on a fix, but don’t know when it will be released. I hope my answer has helped. Have a great week!

This is BS because i had this internet 11 months on a 1 yr contract and exactly on the fist day of the last month all sudden the upnp is disabled talked to tech support and the answer i got was i could lose my job enabling it witch confirmed that tmobile knows the issue is there but WONT do anything about best advice i can give u if ur using internet for gaming and streaming is cancel service and go with a company that has gaming qualified internet thats wat im doing the end of this week

MULTIPLAYER IS NO MORE ON TMOBILE

I have the exact same issue. TM eorked fine on all our consoles (XB1, XB Series S, PS5) and Windows PC for over a year until December 2022. "I assume you've reset the gateway. Have you tried an eternet cable?" Blah blah. One customer service person told me it was probably congestion due to more people on the network and that TM isn't good for gaming. I told them that it worked for over a year and then stopped working altogether on one particular day. If it is just congestion, we should be able to play at some point, like at 3 am.

Nope.

UPnP is unsuccessful every time. Also watched as NAT went from initially open to moderate or strict as my youngest tried to connect in multiplayer. As soon as NAT changes, down it goes. Usually within 1-3 minutes. Most games just disconnect at that point. Rocket League keeps him connected but the car looks like a creature from *The Last of Us* twitching without input.

I just want them to tell me/us/the public  that they changed policy and aren't allowing multiplayer for x reason. If they can't say this, them fix it. Be honest TMobile! And if you don't know yourself, tell us that. But please stop the patronizing crap or pretending you've it's the first time you've heard there was a problem with gaming.

ExpressVPN allows my oldest to play multiplayer on PC but something is blocking the PCs ability to share a hotspot with the consoles as a virtual router. At one point the attempt to connect shut down the VPN and all websites offering VPNs. Every other site was accessible. Had to go back to share toggle for adapter to get it back. 

Pink Magenta answer is from a thread closed 2 years ago, BTW. 

Has this been solved yet because it was working fine for me for a while and all of a sudden my UPnP isn't working and bow it won't even open games when just the other day I was playing any game I want I think this is a little ridiculous please fix this issue

Same thing happing over here. It worked fine for 3 days, now NAT is strict and upnp is unavailable. Ive talked to technical support. I guess I’ll have to go with a different service if I cannot play Xbox live.

Same problem here. Shows Open NAT and then turns Moderate about 3 minutes later. Looks like TMobile Home Internet is not for me 

Badge

Im tired of this. Its unfair as a consumer. And ive actually had multiple upon multiple go arounds. Enough is enough.

for the publics sake and tmobiles, im going to be going against them in a small claims settlement for fraud. Despite a payout; im trying to also divulge and find the truth as to why since December the service has been completely botched. 

Some of us cant afford the other options thanks to this crap economy, and yet we work from home and encause of these issues its affecting income. Yet they cant be straight forward let alone hire first party employees to fulfill a customer needs. 

I mean hell their own employees vouch for competitor products instead of their own, but when i bought into this service in 2020, these were never an issue. No chat forum discussed it or wasnt as common place as its become today. And someone said it best, ever since december man things have changed. I used to never have to call now i call twice a week. 

We were having the SAME issues and couldn’t figure anything out. We are finally gaming on our T-Mobile internet after turning on the DSCP and WMM tagging. It is under internet settings, advanced settings, QOS tagging settings. I hope this helps you too!

Hey yall I just recently got the 5g gateway and immediately noticed the Upnp setting was not successful meaning were going to have party chat issues if you play or talk with your friends online. The only solution I'm being able to find is using discord party chat that you can now use on Xbox. Tried multiple things to fix Xbox party chat with no luck. But using the discord chat I had no issues. Hope this helps

We are having same issue of not being able to do online gaming.  It worked yesterday but not today:(

Hey yall I just recently got the 5g gateway and immediately noticed the Upnp setting was not successful meaning were going to have party chat issues if you play or talk with your friends online. The only solution I'm being able to find is using discord party chat that you can now use on Xbox. Tried multiple things to fix Xbox party chat with no luck. But using the discord chat I had no issues. Hope this helps

We are having same issue of not being able to do online gaming.  It worked yesterday but not today:(

Look at what Chey_Z02 said. You change your Xbox settings and it should work. 

We were having the SAME issues and couldn’t figure anything out. We are finally gaming on our T-Mobile internet after turning on the DSCP and WMM tagging. It is under internet settings, advanced settings, QOS tagging settings. I hope this helps you too!

Thank you for solving my problem!