Solved

1.1.1.1 DNS Service

• 4 May 2018
  • 8 replies

I like using the Cloudflare's new public DNS resolver 1.1.1.1​ because it makes DNS queries faster and more secure, but when my MacBook Pro (macOS Sierra 10.12.6) DNS settings are set to 1.1.1.1 && 1.0.0.1 && 2606:4700:4700::1111 && 2606:4700:4700::1001 my iPhone Personal Hotspot doesn't work. Can you please tell me how to fix this issue or work with your engineers to fix whatever issue is preventing my ability to use the DNS provider of my choosing on your end? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 8 May 2018, 01:00

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey, @magentapink​!

Welcome to our Support Community! Does your hotspot work when you don't attempt to modify the DNS settings (when not using Cloudfare's new DNS resolver)? If so, the service is working as it should be and we don't have any other workarounds to provide a different DNS setting.

Hi, Yes the service works after removing the custom DNS settings, but this means I have to remove the custom DNS settings from my MacBook's Network Preferences and then re-add the custom DNS settings after disconnecting from Personal Hotspot, hardly convenient and rather unnecessary seeing as it works for every other ISP, can't your network team fix it so that your network allows DNS pass-through?

Getting T-Mobile to fix anything is an exercise in futility.  Using a private DNS on a T-Mobile Samsung phone breaks MMS with the default messaging app, and they have not addressed that issue either.  Partial functionality is A-OK apparently.  I just bought a Note 9, and it will be my last T-Mobile phone.

Userlevel 2

Is T-Mobile blocking CloudFlare WARP?

CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 seems to work fine, but not WARP.
I don’t know why or who.

Badge

see here, it does seem they are blocking them and if you want to use an alternative dns provider use secure dns

It seems less than ideal that a major provider such as T-Mobile is forcing users to use only T-Mobile’s “approved” DNS providers - especially given that CloudFlare DNS is not only free to use but is also more secure and private than plain DNS.

A cynical person might say that T-Mobile is doing this so they can watch traffic on their network and gather information about their users, but that can’t be it, can it?

Userlevel 2
Badge

+1! open up the DNS settings!

the service is working as it should be and we don't have any other workarounds to provide a different DNS setting.

False. Users should be able to customize their DNS settings to secure or preferred name servers. T-Mobile: fix this!!