How can I connect the hotspot to a router through an ethernet port, while the hotspot continues to charge?

• 31 August 2016
  • 4 replies

I'm trying to connect the hotspot to a router through an ethernet port, while the hotspot continues to charge. Can I use an OTG-USB Charging cable (Y-cable) and an Ethernet-USB converter?  If so, what are the specs/recommendations the types of cables?

4 replies

Userlevel 5

Hey @jcenti‌ 😊 The ZTE Falcon was designed to operate as a stand-alone access point. The USB port on the device is only meant for hardwired tethering to a computer/laptop or for charging with a wall charger. Was there a specific reason you were looking to connect this to your router?

I am trying to use the hotspot for home Internet. I already have a router that extends coverage throughout the house and also connects to several wired devices. I'd like to use this existing router to provide clients to the hotspot.

Userlevel 5

Ahh, okay. Thanks for clarifying 😊 I'm not entirely sure that the hotspot is able to tether to a router in the same way a conventional modem from your ISP would. If you are going to buy a USB to Ethernet adapter to try this, I would recommend getting a lower cost one or one that you could return if it does not work.

If you purchase an "ethernet wireless bridge", you can use your existing wi-fi/wired network with the hotspot internet connection.