Question

No internet on T-Mobile Hotspot

Badge +1

I recently purchased a T-Mobile 5G hotspot.  The problem I’m having is, when I turn it on it boots fine but is VERY slow to connect to the internet.  I get at least 3 or more bars (usually 4 or 5) of 5G service, but the checkmark next to the globe stays an X with no internet.  If I power cycle the unit it will sometimes connect right away but not always.  Is this normal?

13 replies

Badge +1

Replacement unit arrived today.  This one works properly as well.  So far it charges battery, powers up, gets 5G service and connects to the internet.  All of this without having to be power cycled and in a fairly short time. 

So, now I have two working Quanta D53 5G hotspots in good working order.  Each one has its own SIM card so I can load both up if I need the extra data and I have a spare device if one craps out.  I plan on doing a fair amount of streaming in a few weeks, so I’ll have a good test.  So far all I’ve done is stream an hour of 720P video (Star Trek) on my Roku and visited a few web sites.  The video ate up about 900MB of data.  At that rate I can stream over 50 hours of movies on my 50GB prepaid plan.  That’s a good bit of streaming for what I need it for. :)

Keep in mind that these have been “refurbished” units.  Right now the score is 2 good out of 3 with the 3rd on working but slow and constant restarts to get it to connect initially.  Once connected, it did work for the most part.

Badge +1

Just received a second T-Mobile 5G hotspot device for comparison.  This one behaves much better.  Connects to the internet each time I power it up and does so fairly quickly.  Returned the first refurbished unit from Amazon for an exchange.  I’ll see if the replacement behaves like the second one I picked up on eBay.  If not, then I’ll return it for a refund and look elsewhere.  I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro that’s selling for a good price.  Those have very good reviews.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I had the Insego hotspot prior to getting the Nokia gateway. The downside of the hotspot for me was the cost and streaming was eating up our bandwidth so that ended up being returned. If you don’t need the mobile hotspot for the home the gateway is a much better deal. I am not familiar with the newer hotspots as that just has little attraction for me. If I need a temp hotspot I also just use my iPhone. Sorry  I have no useful feedback on the hotspot really. If they are turning up refurbished so inexpensive and plentiful maybe that is a bit of a sign that they are not terribly reliable. I don’t know.

Badge +1

I picked it up specifically because I still wanted to have phone access while streaming video or browsing the Internet.  It also allowed me to use a prepaid data plan and not have to be in contract.  I will use the device intermittently so prepaid was the way to go.  I did find a second device refurbished for cheap so I picked that up as well to compare.  If the one I have turns out to be good, then I’ll either have a spare or I can always resell it for what I paid for it.

It does concern me that there are so many “refurbished” units on the market based on how new the device is.  New, they go for $198.  Refurbished, they can go for under $40.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah im not to sure who of our usuals would have any knowledge on this one lol.

uhm… @iTinkeralot …. maybe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@syaoran  any ideas on this one?

I have yet to try one of the new Hotspot because it is easy enough to turn my phone into one when I need one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syaoran  any ideas on this one?

Badge +1

So how long is normal for one of these new 5G hotspots to capture the internet?

Is it normal for the device to not display the phone number until after it connects to the internet?  Not sure if it’s internet connection before phone number or the other way around.

Badge +1

One other thing to note is that, as I scroll through the screens, the phone number doesn’t show up until after it connects to the internet.  Could it be an issue with the device not reading the SIM card properly?

So far I’ve tested it within a limited area around my house, but I do get a very strong signal and it does identify the system as T-mobile and 5G.  Power cycling the unit usually gets it to connect.  Without the power cycle, it can take a long time to connect.  According to the coverage chart, I’m well into an Ultra 5G area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you might want to cross check the network coverage wherever youre going prior to going..almost willing to bet its a network/location deal and no so much device issue. you might have been in areas where you were on the edge of coverage or barely out of range.

is this all happening in the same areas or random areas?

Badge +1

Yes, it’s a T-Mobile SIM on a prepaid data plan.  I just powered it up in our RV and it did connect to the internet and I was able to connect my laptop to it.  On a internet speed test it came in at 148mbs so should be usable.  It just doesn’t connect well every time.  Sometimes it takes 10 minutes or so to achieve an internet connection.  Sometimes it connects faster if I power cycle it.  I also will see a wide RSSI swing before it will connect.  Just wanting to verify if this is normal or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and it has a TMO sim card in it?

Badge +1

Forgot to mention it is a Quanta - D53 5G.