Setting up 4G LTE Cellspot

Hi,

I was just sent a 4g LTE cellspot from T-Mobile to help with the low cell signal that I have in my home. It seems pretty easy to set up, however, when I went to my modem (which I have via Spectrum), I saw that there was only one ethernet port and this was taken up with my router. Now, on my router there are a number of ethernet ports that are designated as "LAN" ports, but there is only one yellow "WAN" port. Can I plug the Cellspot into one of the LAN ethernet ports on my router, or do I need to buy an ethernet switch or something so that I can more or less multiply the number of WAN ports on my modem?

I am completely new to this so any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks!

44 replies

Glad you ordered a replacement and hopefully you will have better luck!

One thing I should have asked you:  Did you ever call the T-Mobile Cellspot  team, I'm not sure what they're called, but it was definitely a knowledgeable technician for Cellspot.   When my power and Internet lights were blinking for hours on end, I was on the phone with a Cellspot tech  who asked for my serial number on the Cellspot and then he checked at his end to see if he saw that my Internet was attempting to connect.  And he did.  He said there was definitely nothing wrong with the device, as he was able to see the Cellspot was activated and attempting setup.  That's when he again asked if I had Spectrum and since he saw the Internet attempting access on his side, he said to be patient.  But you said your Internet light was solid.  Mine was blinking. That might indicate some other issue in your hardware.  However,  I would try to call the Cellspot team again and ask if they see anything happening with your Internet, if they didn't deactivate your device yet, which I'm thinking they did now, because that's what they did to me when they ordered the replacement.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @biochemist​!

Fingers crossed that the replacement does the trick. I'm hoping that we'll here back from you today that all is well! 😊

The unit did arrive today. It is a V1 instead of a V2 like the last unit.

It was connected and powered up at 14:15 Central time and has now been running for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Same indications as the last unit with a flashing power light and a solid Internet light.

At least I don't have to wait the 72 hours called for in the V2 unit as this one said up to two hours may be required. Oops missed that one.

Glad u got a new unit. Now, what I told u is it will definitely take over

the 2 hour installation time. Mine took 15 hours minimum. Closer to 20.

It stayed blinking green power n blinking internet light NOT solid though,

for many many hours. Then suddenly I saw it stay solid amber and then

green and then went back to blinking amber. And I was about to give up.

But it took another 4 hours to finalize.

My suggestion to you now is: call t-mobile cellspot technician, give them

ur serial number and ask if they see internet action. That’s how I knew

that at some point, Lordy knew when, I would finally connect. If they

don’t see internet, then tell them ur setup to make sure nothing is

blocking it. I know Spectrum does not block our ports. Good luck!! Hope I

hear u r connecting next!

Still nothing. over 24 hours since last boot up with Tech Support driving. Trouble ticket is open.

Wishing everyone a great Forth of July

Userlevel 3

Darn!! I was hoping this would be the answer. Thanks for the update on the filing of a trouble ticket. We'll check back in a few days if we haven't heard back from you on your replacement Cellspot.

I am very close to being whipped on this problem.

Tech Support can't see the CellSpot box because the ports on the cable modem are not open. Support gave me the Arris telephone number.

Arris won't talk to a customer if the device came from a provider (Spectrum)

Spectrum says they can't access the modem web site to configure because the screen says that function is unavailble.

I have tried to connect directly to the cable modem to access it's internal web site but it is not connecting at all (timeouts)

I have not found anything on UDP ports on the CM820 out in the Webiverse,

So if nobody has an idea I guess I will call tomorrow and ask to send this unit back and end my misery.

As festive as a flashing green power light seems to be I think I can do without it. After three weeks I really don't want to develop an addiction to it.

Userlevel 3

Wow! We've been working with you on the Support site for a few weeks and you've clearly spent a good amount of time doing your research, following up with each company, and continuing to keep us updated; thank you. I'm not sure if you already returned your signal booster or not, but from re-reading every post of yours, it honestly sounds like the combination of the cell spot, Spectrum, and Arris isn't playing well together. We do our absolute best to be compatible with as many networks/providers/modems as possible, but we can't hit 'em all. 😥 I wish we had a better answer for you, @biochemist​.

Userlevel 4

I think I have a bit of an idea, maybe.

I'm under the assumption your setup is like this:

Cablemodem-->Router-->Cellspot

Is this the case?  And, if it is the case, what kind of IP address does the router have on the WAN?  Is it a 192.168.XXX.XXX address?  Or is it something else (please don't give your IP address in here).

The symptoms are starting to sound like you have a double NAT happening (your cablemodem is giving your router a 192.168.XXX.XXX address and your router is then giving your internal devices a 192.168.YYY.YYY address).

If this is the case, the next options I'd try are:

1) Turn your cablemodem to "Bridge Mode" (you'll have to read your cablemodem's documentation on the how to do this).  This would stop your router from getting a 192.168.XXX.XXX address and then you'll only have a single NAT to your Cellspot.  Most devices now can handle a single NAT.

2) If the above doesn't work or the cablemodem is already in "Bridge Mode", try connecting your Cellspot directly to the cablemodem (then putting your router on the LAN side of the cellspot, making it Cablemodem-->Cellspot-->Router).

Also, make sure you power down all three devices if you change any configuration or move any them.  Most cablemodems don't like it when you change the device that's connected to it (I had a huge headache one time I changed routers because I forgot this).  I've gotten to the mindset of unplugging my cablemodem, router, and any weird finicky devices in my network any time I need to change anything.

Userlevel 4

...and I just saw you tried connecting to the cablemodem without luck -- try connecting to the cablemodem directly (means finding a laptop or PC with an Ethernet port and connecting directly to the cablemodem where your router would normally be).

You should then be able to use the address the manual tells you to use to connect to the modem.

I do appreciate all the suggestions.

The Cellspot is before the router. The problem does seem to  be with the necessary UDP ports on the Arris CM820 Cable Modem not being open. T-Mobile Tech Support cannot "see" the Cellspot from their lofty perch so the Arris CM820 Cable Modem is blocking those ports

I am able to get to the setup screen on the Arris CM820 cable modem but cannot get to the advanced features screen because it is password protected.

Where I currently stand is. I have sent an email to Arris requesting help on accessing the modem and setting up the ports. It has been several days and no response back from them. For all I know there is no easy way to do this on this cable modem but experience says there is. I have to believe the techs at Spectrum when they say they cannot access the internal screens via the cable port. There should be but perhaps that "feature" was left out.

My only hope now is that someone at Arris gets in touch with me by the end of the week. One would think that a simple phone call would be better than all these negative posts, then again, what do I know? If they do and they give me a fix I will certainly  post it  here for the community, If I hear nothing or nothing of value then I will post that it is all going back in the box and back to the store.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion.

Well, here is the conclusion, sorry it is not more exciting.

The response from Arris Technical Support is

"As first instance, we apologize for the inconvenience you're currently experiencing with your CM820. We are sorry to inform you that the advance configuration you're trying to perform is not available on the CM820 because it is a standalone modem. Port Forwarding is only available in devices with firewall security settings, such as routers or gateways."

Had I known all this weeks ago I wouldn't be under the care of health professionals now. Being from Texas I know when to get off the horse and walk. In this case I am going to walk to the storage unit to retrieve the box then spend the afternoon trying to pry the antenna off the window glass...into the box and on with what's left of my life.

Thanks to the community for all the help and suggestions.

Userlevel 4

I had noticed that late last night, but I was way too tired to reply (sorry, I got home late after Pokemon Gym fighting 😀).

This means that the modem isn't doing anything to block anything.  It should also mean that the cellspot should be getting a public IP address (not starting with 192.168).

In my opinion, if the Cellspot has the WAN port plugged in to the cablemodem and the router has the WAN port plugged in to the LAN port of the Cellspot, everything should be fine.

So, I'd suggest checking one last time:

Unplug [power] modem, router, Cellspot, and all Ethernet cables.

Plug the WAN port of the Cellspot to the WAN port of the modem (should be only one port on the modem).

Plug the WAN port of the router in to the LAN port of the Cellspot.

Plug the power cables in.  First on the router, awaiting all lights to turn on.  Then the Cellspot (I'd wager about a minute for that to turn on), then the router.

In most cases, the WAN port is the YELLOW one, I think, but do check to make sure.

Another pair configuration you can try if the above doesn't work:

Plug the WAN port of the router in to the WAN port of the modem.

Plug the WAN port of the Cellspot to the LAN port of the router.

Or

Plug the WAN port of the router to the WAN port of the modem.

Plug the LAN port of the Cellspot to the LAN port of the router.

Knowing that you have a basic modem (I TOTALLY suggest this, and am happy that's the type you have), the first configuration should work without a hitch.  The annoying part is knowing which port to connect where.

Thanks for the input, What you describe is exactly what I have now.

I agree that it should not be blocking anything at all but I learned from dealing with Cisco and Xyplex routers that things are not always as they seem or should be. If the modem does not have port forwarding then changing the port forwarding settings on anything downstream will have no effect whatsoever.

Nope, Just gonna go lick my wounds and carry on, Thanks. Got the box now, just need the machete to chop the antenna off the window glass. T-Mobile uses some really good adhesive.

im very confused the power light blinks and internet is solid but the manual says

Device connection issue with the Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi cable

modem router.

Check Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi cable modem router connection.

Flashing green light above 4G LTE CellSpot WAN port means

good Internet connection and traffic in progress.

what does this mean, the ethernet port works in other devices though, what should i do besides returning the device?

Userlevel 4

This is interesting.

Cellspot incompatible with Spectrum (Charter, Brighthouse, TW)

A post came in today with the same thing.

tha

thanks, I've been waiting bout 12 hours. and green light power and amber on internet,, i'm going to let it sit all weekend

I recommend rebooting all the units. Powering up your cable modem first, then the router and lastly the CellSpot. Each unit fully started before the next one is plugged in. I got my CellSpot yesterday and followed the installation instructions, that does not say anything about unplugging your cable modem and router as a first step. I just plugged in the CellSpot to the router, that is connected to the cable modem, as instructed and it was sitting there with flashing green power and orange internet LEDs, and would not go any further. After 10 hours I shut everything down and rebooted everything starting from the cable modem, then the router+switch and lastly the CellSpot. It came up just fine and after about 20 min I got all green lights. Now I got 4 bars in the whole house (2 floors, 3870 sqf), and outside on our back patio. The unit is placed on the first floor in the center of the house in a small storage room under the stairs where I have the router and modem.

I recommend rebooting all the units. Powering up your cable modem first, then the router and lastly the CellSpot. Each unit fully started before the next one is plugged in. I got my CellSpot yesterday and followed the installation instructions, that does not say anything about unplugging your cable modem and router as a first step. I just plugged in the CellSpot to the router, that is connected to the cable modem, as instructed and it was sitting there with flashing green power and orange internet LEDs, and would not go any further. After 10 hours I shut everything down and rebooted everything starting from the cable modem, then the router+switch and lastly the CellSpot. It came up just fine and after about 20 min I got all green lights. Now I got 4 bars in the whole house (2 floors, 3870 sqf), and outside on our back patio. The unit is placed on the first floor in the center of the house in a small storage room under the stairs where I have the router and modem.

I am a current Spectrum customer and followed the recommendations above and was up and rocking within an hour. So far so good. Wish I would have done this years ago. Our service has been nothing but poor in our neighborhood and we relied on WiFi calling mostly until recently experiencing a problem related to e911 and WiFi calling no longer working. Could not get it addressed no matter how much they tried. Now calls are full bars and excellent. Couldn’t be happier. Just hope this doesn’t expose us to anything dangerous related to having a mini-cell tower broadcasting in the middle of our living space. Might be time to get one of those RF meters to really check (slightly nervous laugh) but for the most part, super happy about the service being about what I’d hoped it would be since signing up for T-Mobile originally. Hope this helps others!