Solved

SyncUP Drive and 2016 Ford F150 - Power steering assist fault

• 14 September 2019
  • 1 reply

This morning I went out shopping and everything was working fine. When we got out of the store my truck gave a Power Steering Assist Fault and other faults related to steering. The steering wheel was extremely hard to move.

I was able to fight my way home in it and called the dealership and while on the phone with them checked the fuses and normal things I could check to find the fault. For some reason I noticed the SyncDrive and decided to take it out, and test again. The error cleared up as soon as I started the truck and the steering was fine. To test it again I turned it off and plugged the SyncDrive back in, as soon as I started it the issue returned and I was unable to move the steering wheel again.

I have been using SyncDrive in the truck for over a year now without issue.

I have removed the SyncDrive from my truck and everything is functioning perfectly now. I will not be putting it back in, had this failure occurred while driving or while my wife was using the truck this could have been a much worse story.

icon

Best answer by snn555 15 September 2019, 03:50

All of these OBD2 port modules react differently. I have a cheap elm327 in my 2005 Silverado and of course I don't have any issue because it's just a code scanner which I've linked up with an Android app to monitor the systems and read codes. However these newer vehicles are prone to being programmed to only work properly with original manufacturer diagnostic equipment. A lot of these aftermarket modules such as the sink up and other things you can find on eBay sometimes drain batteries or improperly read a computer's output and system information because these things are generic and don't have all of the codes and information programmed into them. if there was a way to order a sync up and drive that was pre-programmed to a particular vehicle we may not see this sort of issue there again Ford and all other manufacturers are probably not real keen on customers figuring out how to repair their vehicle by bypassing the dealership.

All of that to say I completely agree with you.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6

All of these OBD2 port modules react differently. I have a cheap elm327 in my 2005 Silverado and of course I don't have any issue because it's just a code scanner which I've linked up with an Android app to monitor the systems and read codes. However these newer vehicles are prone to being programmed to only work properly with original manufacturer diagnostic equipment. A lot of these aftermarket modules such as the sink up and other things you can find on eBay sometimes drain batteries or improperly read a computer's output and system information because these things are generic and don't have all of the codes and information programmed into them. if there was a way to order a sync up and drive that was pre-programmed to a particular vehicle we may not see this sort of issue there again Ford and all other manufacturers are probably not real keen on customers figuring out how to repair their vehicle by bypassing the dealership.

All of that to say I completely agree with you.