1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
Branched to a new discussion.

All replies

• alex86

Hey thanks for the reply but that is not the question / you are missing the point.

The point is: since 2017 phones have been sold by t mobile as "5 g ready" if they had band 71. Something like 2 in 2017. Much more 2018+19.

However....late sometime this year (I have only seen examples quoting November 2019) it was announced that no...band 71 would be segmented....and you will now need new hardware with a new modem/chip to use 5g.

I am not debating how it works.

I am asking why we were lied to, purchased hardware over the last 2-3 years, changed phone plans / signed up for plans, because we were told these devices would be 5g ready as they had band 71. It was never stated no they will not because we will create separate segments. Untill now.

I am also asking how they could try and pull something so grimy off like this on everyone. Because there is actually also no inherent reason a phone that has band 71 support could not use 5g....if they did not decide to create a reason. We are not talking 2g modems.

If you can give me a reason a phone with band 71 could not use 5g other then because they said so I would seriously like to know please. The technology is just as capable had they not decided to engineer a reason it is not.

• smplyunprdctble

alex86 wrote:

The point is: since 2017 phones have been sold by t mobile as "5 g ready" if they had band 71. Something like 2 in 2017. Much more 2018+19.

However....late sometime this year (I have only seen examples quoting November 2019) it was announced that no...band 71 would be segmented....and you will now need new hardware with a new modem/chip to use 5g.

I don't think you've shared an advertisement that has stated 5g ready.  The forums have already stated that anything in print or on t-mobile.com is word, contrary to what salespeople may try to say.  The short of this being "f you can't find it on T-Mobile.com, or a screenprint from it, or an advertisement, it didn't happen.  5G has *ALWAYS* been a new chip (unless you count what AT&T is calling "5GE", which is the same thing as "LTE+" -- just like when carriers started calling things 4G back in the day, it was really just "3G+" and what we know as LTE is what is really 4G.  There have been lawsuits among the carriers about what is called "5G".

Maybe you were advertised this mis-named 5G because they were going that direction before lawsuits.  Whatever the case, you NEED a real 5G chip to get real 5G.  No 4G / LTE phone can connect to real 5G.  An AT&T customer with a 4G/LTE phone will have "5GE" show up in their connection status.  This is NOT 5G, though (again, a lawsuit was created because they did this).

I am asking why we were lied to, purchased hardware over the last 2-3 years, changed phone plans / signed up for plans, because we were told these devices would be 5g ready as they had band 71. It was never stated no they will not because we will create separate segments. Untill now.

I can't tell you the motives of sales people.

I am also asking how they could try and pull something so grimy off like this on everyone. Because there is actually also no inherent reason a phone that has band 71 support could not use 5g....if they did not decide to create a reason. We are not talking 2g modems.

If you can give me a reason a phone with band 71 could not use 5g other then because they said so I would seriously like to know please. The technology is just as capable had they not decided to engineer a reason it is not.

Band 71 is NOT 5G.  You're hung up on that.  5G is a technology.  Band 71 is a frequency.  5G is NOT 4G nor LTE.  So, no, a phone that has LTE capabilities as it's maximum network will not be able to connect 5G, even if it's on the same band.  This is why GSMArena and other phone spec sites specifically list technologies (2G/3G/LTE) and the bands supported on each technology.  It's also why people are annoyed that a discount phone from China won't connect to LTE even though the frequency is used on another technology (e.g. the 2G antenna connects to Band 2, but the LTE antenna only connects to Band 7).

So, in short, you're probably annoyed at mislabeling technologies back when.... that was brought to lawsuits that you didn't pay attention to (I see all the news about suing AT&T for "5GE" -- I can't find anything on my first page of Google search results as to whether this happened to T-Mobile, or if they quietly switched gears while AT&T was being called out).  This mislabeling is why we have to call what is REALLY 4G as LTE (and what we call 4G is just really 3.5G -- all because each carrier wanted to be the first 4G carrier).

• alex86

Yes I am annoyed. Multiple people on the forums however have mentioned they

bought into devices because they were told they needed them for future 5g

and would have it when it became available in their area. It is clearly a

problem.

Im not so much interested in providing the proof for multiple reasons.  I

don't think I have anything to prove. I'm not making a legal complaint on

this forum just having a dialog.  You know. I know. Everyone who has

commented here knows that people were told this.  I probably do have old

screen shots of the roll out being associated with 5g from when I was

shopping for phones. I don't want to sort through them and  all of my

transactions were done via TMobile phone support. They have the record.

Notes on the call. Possibly even the calls still.  I also remember a tmo

map. Being lit for Vegas, ny, few random others.

I appreciate the time you took to write out that explanation. I also just

read an article on pcmag about the different provider 5g roll outs. You are

absolutely right I did not keep paying attention because my area was one of

the late phases to clear TV stations. Based on what I was told I was led to

believe I just needed to wait for that. I'm reading the TV stations here

actually just cleared early and mid this year (early)(was supposed to be

next year based on 2018 phase map) however still not lit for tmo 5g. Only

Verizon's. Except I will have to buy a new device now to even see tmos.

.....Clean.

So you are correct they did absolutely lie to me and anyone else who was

told phones supporting 71 would get 5g. 611(tmo support) lied to me about

both my plan and phone purchase.

Very interesting about those lawsuits. I did not hear about them either.

• syaoran

If they didn't segment the band and just left it as it was.  You wouldn't be able to get 5G over it.  5G devices require a different modem to access 5G.  Non-5G devices don't contain X50 or X55 modems.  As much as modem band support is software/firmware based.  They still require the hardware to work with that software/firmware. 

You keep mentioning that these older devices were sold as 5G ready.  If that was true, then why have I never been told that by T-Mobile employees at various stores across Virginia, New York, and Pennsylvania?  I buy a lot of devices, both in the US and Canada and I have yet to hear a device advertised as 5G from T-Mobile outside of the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren and Note 10 5G.  I have been waiting for 5G available devices for quite some time now but even the two currently available aren't worth it because they don't support all of what T-Mobile will deploy 5G over and I highly doubt they will update those devices to support more 5G future deployments. 

• alex86

Thanks for the previous information. Why spend a whole post now suddenly

simply trying to say you have never heard it lol. There are 3 people of the

like 6 who have posted on this thread who heard it. 2+ more in the thread I

linked. I'm sure you can find more. Only more even will start coming out

when they realize they were also lied to. Especially if they were waiting

for a late phase. You have mentioned sales must have lied. You have clearly

heard it at least from other sources.

I don't know why you never heard it in any tmo store in 3 North Eastern

states. I heard it from 611 in 2018 think it was California I talked to.

Mentioned everyone in Vegas for some conference loving the 5g.(in 2018)

Also every article regarding band 71 from 2017, 2018. Said that would be

tmo 5g and they had a map for the roll out as tv cleared. ...it is still

5g. The way I heard it was they just were not going to call it 5g untill

the nation was mostly lit.  You did hear the two new phones that would work

with it. Guess what I never heard? About those two phones untill December 4

2019. After they sent an email and I contacted chat support shattering what

I was told the year prior and previous. (Exactly like I described  in my

first post)

Almost like....you first heard about it recently. No one I know has ever

heard of those two phones and when they heard Galaxy note 10 5g they said,

"lol note 10 5g? What a scam. Let's sell the same phone to people again

with 5g slapped on it."

Also tmo only recently decided to use particular types of 5g. So like you

mention the two models current are more of a test case. Unfortunately in

2017 or 2018 no one was talking about whatever international body that sets

5g standards had a ....standard that would matter in the us at all.  It was

simply this is faster. Few 100mbps. Also it was you who brought up whatever

att did and had a lawsuit over. You even mentioned tmo may have quietly

backed out of what they were saying around that time too.

I was able to get 100mb down on tmo in my exact same area on a Nexus 4 in

2012. Tell me why I get nowhere near that now. ~60 on a good day. But ....I

have a better chip....I have a better modem....it's what you need for that

new new... Lol hopefully you see the point that they create the speed you

will get.

Now let's say none of that ever happened....seems a bit strange to reply to

someone asking for more information...."I never heard about this it didn't

happen" when you don't even have that information.

• alex86

Perfect link thanks Gramps!!!!! It's exactly what I mean. Did you just find this? Or do you still think this never implied band 71(and the v30) would get 5g?

“We’re lighting up our new super spectrum for LTE and laying the foundation for 5G so fast we’re making the other guys’ heads spin – and with the LG V30, everything is coming together in record time,” said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. “While the carriers try to fake their way to 5G and back off unlimited to keep their networks from caving even more, the Un-carrier’s building the future of wireless and a bigger, better, faster, future-proof network.”

• gramps28

You're reading too much into it.

Please reread slowly with an open mind . No where does it state that the LTE band 71 phones will be 5G just that while they are

building out the LTE they are working on 5G, not phones.

• syaoran

It makes me wonder if they are confusing the marketing with what AT&T has done.  They are the only company who has changed the 4G LTE icon to 5Ge, even though it is still 4G LTE. 

• alex86

You are correct it does not clearly outright say the LG v30 will be 5g.

However in the same exact statement about 5g he mentioned they are getting

started with the v30. -This implies it is ready for 5g.

If the v30 ....had 5g right now....if all of band 71 had 5g right

now.....we would have been told one of the first times in this post.

You can equally say it does confirm as does not confirm.

The corresponding 5g article it links also would seem to reference this

would be 5g.

Last neither article mentions you will need completely new hardware. All it

mentioned was the hardware currently aka the v30.

• alex86

Did you see the link Gramps just posted?

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/tmobile-600mhz

He seems to think this still did not imply. I do agree it doesn't outright

declare

However ....

“We’re lighting up our new super spectrum for LTE and *laying the

foundation for 5G* so fast we’re making the other guys’ heads spin – *and

with the LG V30, everything is coming together in record* time,” said John

Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. “While the carriers try to fake

their way to 5G and back off unlimited to keep their networks from caving

even more, the Un-carrier’s building the future of wireless and a bigger,

better, faster, future-proof network.”

In the same exact statement the foundation for 5 g is mentioned the v30 is

mentioned....clearly implying the v30 was 5g ready lol.

• gramps28

This is why I didn't pursue law after graduating with my paralegal degree.

People always read more into things and then they file trivial lawsuits that take up the courts time and "if"

Tmobile had marketed the band 71 LTE phones as being 5G ready, where are the lawsuits?

• gramps28

Did you not read that the 5G equipment was from Ericsson?

• alex86

Well i don't think what was said for instance in that quote legally defines

the v30 as 5g.

It is strongly impled however so yea....I'm curious how they are getting

away with it. I'm not a judge, attorney, or trying to make a legal claim. I

allready speculated previously In a reply to you that the majority of

Americans have no clue. Most people just buy a device because it is new. So

for something to be a tort or criminal based on something implied would in

most cases need to effect a majority or at least a definite amount of

people. Or...idk a judge would need to assume it did. We have congressmen

who dont understand ad revenue, and an entire house obsessed with the

president.

This forum as an example is a very small and specific demographic. It does

not remotely represent the whole general public. I can't exactly cite it as

a representation of the nation.  Most tmo users don't even know this exists

let alone have ever posted.

However Something like 6 likes on my post?  3 people including me on it

heard these were 5g future phones and posted such. +2 more separate thread

from the first link. Then you have yourself + 2 who never heard this/don't

think that was implied. It's about 50/50 on this thread. It would seem the

people who are more into the specifics are talking about it at least. The

general person however has no idea in support or against.

So I would say that is how there aren't any. Careful and creative marketing

that only implies vs declaration and most people not following this at all.

I wouldn't want any litigation only for these phones to work as they were

implied. Or to be compensated for the grimy sales tactics in some way.

• alex86

Ericsson has been making phones/hardware since 1956. 40% of world mobile

traffic is on Ericsson networks. Possibly more in 2019. They have hardware

in most everything. Kind of like how iPhones have the same hardware as

Android's. Also

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericsson-LG

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50695438

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next