Online SIM swap future?

drnewcomb2

Whenever I travel abroad I carry an inactive T-Mobile SIM and a spare, unlocked phone. This way if my phone is lost, stolen, damaged or PUKed I can easily go online and activate the spare SIM for that line and quickly be back in business. I've heard from various sources that fraud associated with online and phone SIM swaps has prompted T-Mobile to revise their policies, making SIM swaps more difficult. I've read that in the future a customer will have to present his phone at a T-Mobile store to do this. Is there any truth in this rumor and what, if any, consideration has been given to the needs of international travelers who have phone problems while abroad? 

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Online SIM swap future?

That's a really interesting question. Are your sources saying you'd have to show up to a store with phone in hand in order to change the SIM card? To my knowledge, that's not something we're working towards, but I'm sure we'll let our customers know about any changes we make with SIM swap procedures.

• drnewcomb2

The assertion (unsubstantiated) was that shortly, the only two ways to activate a replacement SIM will be either 1) go to a T-Mobile store or 2) T-Mobile sends the new SIM to your address of record. The customer will not be able to do a SIM change online or over the phone. If there's any truth in this, how will T-Mobile support international travelers whose phones or SIMs are lost or stolen, get PUKed or just stop working? This is why I carry a spare SIM when traveling abroad.

• tmo_mike_c

You bring up a really good point. This one is is kinda tough since I don't believe we have an option to send a replacement internationally. I'm thinking the only option is contacting us from our Internationally Care number from another line and having a back up SIM on standby. With that being said, I'm checking internally to see what additional info I can find about how to help folks if this situation happens.

• drnewcomb2

The point is that I carry a new, unused T-Mobile SIM when I travel outside the US because I know you don't send them internationally. I also carry a spare unlocked phone. If my phone gets "nicked" I can just go online, activate the spare SIM (deactivating the old one at the same time), pop it into my spare phone and I'm up and running. If T-Mobile makes the SIM change process more complicated, this will no longer be an option.