Need help with password

captcoolhand

I did look but nothing in relation....
    I have a Google Mini, and I ask for it to call my phone so that I could locate it in my home with the ringer.... Well, when it calls, a few seconds later, I get a message telling me to enter my password followed by the pound(#) sign. ??? What is this???

I know it's the phone answering and giving this message(Even though it never rang) but what could this be part of so I can turn off or does anyone now how I can turn this off.
    If I ever misplace/lose my phone, it will never ring, but tell me to enter password and this is not good. Thanks for any help and I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.
    Well explain more if I could...
    Galaxy S7 with Oreo

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Need help with password

It sounds like it is asking you to setup your voice mail. 

• captcoolhand

Ya, that's the same thought I got too, but not sure why or how Goggle Home Mini got me there..

• smplyunprdctble

captcoolhand wrote:

Ya, that's the same thought I got too, but not sure why or how Goggle Home Mini got me there..

I'm guessing it got you there by using your phone to get you there.  Or, probably your phone number.

The way the voicemail system works is as follows:

1. A call is initiated to your phone number (and, I'm guessing in this case, it's from your phone number via Google Home),
                2. After the set number of rings, if you do not pick up, your phone is forwarded to your carrier's voicemail service, which happens to be a phone number.  The number that was ringing, along with the number that called are sent over,
                3. The voicemail service answers.  Because phone number called is the same as phone number calling, it thinks you're checking voicemail.  Because it didn't initiate in the normal expected way (e.g. through T-Mobile's network), it asks for your voicemail password for security purposes.  This is what you're getting.

Find your phone with your Google Assistant - Android - Google Nest Help -- This is the feature I mentioned in my earlier post.  It sounds like your phone needs to be Android for it to work this way (you never mentioned your phone OS).  Maybe iPhones have to be called in the method you're experiencing?  I'm speculating.  I have Google Home devices throughout my home and an Android phone (Pixel 4).  Both are linked to my Google Account, so, when I say "Hey Google, find my phone", it lists the devices on my account and asks back which I want to ring.  In fact, the idea that it goes through the devices in my account suggests it's an Android-only feature to just turn on a ring, and probably an iPhone / Windows phone / Blackberry / etc feature to perform a call to the phone (the latter meaning if your phone is on silent, you won't be able to find it).

If Google Home won't actually call your phone (your UPDATE), that's a question for the Google Home forums.  Google Home isn't a T-Mobile device, and I don't know exactly how it makes calls (I know it can... I had a stupid youtube video trigger mine once and couldn't figure out how to hang up.

If you want your phone to ring and ring and never go to voicemail, Conditional Call Forwarding has to be turned off.  I don't know if this can be achieved (I know there's folks who say "I don't want voicemail", but, I don't know if the solution is the caller getting "sorry, there's no voicemail, call late" or if it just rings and rings).  But, turning off Conditional Call Forwarding would turn it off for both when your Google Home tries to call your phone AND when others try to call your phone.  So, if you EVER use voicemail, this isn't a solution for what you're trying to do.

• captcoolhand

You're right, I did call my own number from my phone and it went to the same message I got from Google Home. (Please enter your password and Pound[#] sign. 'm not sure why it doesn't initiate a ring first prior of doing so, but I will look further into this and read more of what you suggest when I have more time. Thanks much for all the help and will get back upon finding further solution.
                    Also, I thought posting Galaxy S7 Oreo would have convey the OS of phone. I don't think Apple has this model.. ;-)

• smplyunprdctble

captcoolhand wrote:

Also, I thought posting Galaxy S7 Oreo would have convey the OS of phone. I don't think Apple has this model.. ;-)

I'm an idiot and missed that piece of information

Make sure the phone is linked to your Google Account properly (Samsung does things where they have things linked to their stuff instead of the standard Google stuff).  It sounds like it's trying to call instead of use the app to make noises.

All this sounds like it's properly answered through Google Home support.  We figured out why you're getting a prompt for a passcode.  Google Home support will have to be the ones to figure out why it's calling your device instead of ringing.

• smplyunprdctble

Assuming your phone is an Android, you should be able to say "Hey Google, find my phone" and it will play a ringtone on your phone until you find it (none of that couple rings shenanigans while you're hunting up and down the house and out to the garage to figure out where you left it... don't ask me how I know).  Even works if your phone is on silent.

I don't know if the Google Home app for Apple will do this.

• captcoolhand

Yes, normally asking Google to find phone would just send an ring to phone and continue to ring until you hit clear, but for some reason after 10-15 seconds, i hear different voice(Phone) telling me to enter my password and hit the pound key. ;'(
                      It has to be a setting in the phone that is causing this but not sure what, I exhausted everything I could thing to do and Google search hasn't been any more of a help either.

UPDATE: Now I ask google to call phone and it stays in calling mode until I tell it to stop. Like it's stuck in limbo. No ringer, no connection no nothing...

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Have you checked the post above and tried it out to see if that helps? I agree Google support being an option to get this resolved.

• tmo_mike_c

Please let us know if you've reached out to Google support for more help.